tall ships

hflynn

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only aspect which I was unimpressed with yesterday was the nauseating attempts by the born-again Christian nutters to exploit the event for furthering their own agenda. In particular I think the literature they were distributing included quite inappropriate images. Their booklet presents a series of repentant sinners' tales of how fallen they'd been and their subsequent saving by the Christ. One of these characters has chosen to be photographed standing right in front of my house. Just for the record I am not him, not a born again believer, and no doubt not saved either.

I thought it was quite good, im used to seeing the rip off food outlets when you go to events south, just dont shovel sweets befour you relise the cost, and £5 for meat in a roll is defently a rip off. £2.50 for chips? i will cross the road and get them from the street for half that.

I think its well set out in holmsgarth and the local stalls are fine. i did not like the set up at victoria peir. I see how they tried to create a square but why did they have to sausage it up by having the biggest sound desk tent in the world right plump in the middle so noone can see whats onstage.

The quality of the sound didnt prove the need for them to hear it in stereo, the desk could quite easyly have been to the right of the area (like at the j foy.) Thus when your at the bar or at the food tables you would have got a clear view of the stage.

The boats. crews are great to see, its in all a grest event

I was really looking forward to going to the Tall ships on Saturday, coming down from North and using the park and ride system, but so far hearing from people that went yesterday it is an absolute rip off, I have 3 young boys all with hungry bellies and I will not be paying £4.50 for a hot dog or £8 for 4 long marshmallow flumps or £5 for 4 mins on a trampoline at a fair, its not really very family friendly, I would be intersted to hear others experiences before making the journey tomorrow.

thanks

Guest SJP17

Im afraid thats the way these events go and you will usually find the food way overpriced.

Ive been to a lot of big events south and its always the same totally overpriced , so the tall ships is no different really.

I guess you could kiss could by to £40 to £80 for a family day out without much effort at this, but thats the price you pay these days, the retailers are in it for the money plain and simple !

^^ Exactly.

I think we are so used in Shetland to stalls etc of local produce, or run by local groups, making much smaller profits and being there primarily as service/entertainment.

The advice above is sound though - why not support the local shops, or, if you're on a really tight budget, pack a grub box and come and enjoy the atmosphere, the sights of the boats, and all the free music most of which, IMHO, is better than either of the big bands you have to pay for..

Definitely worth the trip down for the atmosphere, music, see the ships and you can go on them free. Even the NAFC stand is cool with a big pond of sea life you look at, big lobsters, hermit crabs, starfish, urchins, anemones , I loved seeing the sea life never mind the kids and that's free too.

Bring a 'posh' packed lunch, money for a few icecreams and earplugs for the demands LOL

hope the weather picks up, bit cool and breezy today, nothiong new there though LOL

the daughters helping with the red cross. she bought some sweets from the stall near co-op for her mum. she was charged 9 quid for a smallish bag of fudge. you do have to be careful it weighs heavy. £4 was the going rate for a giant german sausage 5 years ago in the german christmas fairs in manchester and blackburn. think how much it must cost to get up here an run a stall.

you don't have to spend to enjoy yourself but parked up at 12 today the smell coming of the stalls was tempting.

Still the fun of the fair is riding the rides.

I know it was the same in '99

The best stall was the vegetarian stall on Gilbertson Park last time, you paid what you think the food was worth. They told me many folk paid over the going price and they did well.

Are the Aberdeen caterers there again?