tall ships

hflynn

Maybe we may see some more Mexicano/Shetland Babies in 2112.

It was good fun, the sad thing was the Aberdeen mob doing the catering. I hope this time they will have listened, there are enough caterers of quality on the Islands already.

The Gilbertson Park event was fantastic, free veggie food and you only paid what you thought it was worth.

Folk have gone to alot of work to get this, at least try to encourage folk to come, they may come back again, if your nice...

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all of us had a negative experience at the last tall ships event, we don't drink till we fall down but thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere both in Lerwick and Unst ( where we could take Mum in her wheelchair to see the ships and crews) and the day the ships left, the singing by some of the crews was brilliant, then we raced up to the Knab to see them pass. The only disappointment was the catering done by outsiders rather than Shetland Folk.

The event was so enjoyable that when we told our grandson about it on his last holiday two years ago and there was an immediate request to come again to see the ships for himself instead of on video and pics !!! :lol:

So lets show a genuine Shetland welcome even if the Viking costumes are not up to "purist" standard they are colourful and clean, the raiding vikings were far from that until they settled in the various places in the UK .

Bring on the Tall Ships event and have a good time :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not all of us had a negative experience at the last tall ships event, we don't drink till we fall down but thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere both in Lerwick and Unst ( where we could take Mum in her wheelchair to see the ships and crews) and the day the ships left, the singing by some of the crews was brilliant, then we raced up to the Knab to see them pass. The only disappointment was the catering done by outsiders rather than Shetland Folk.

The event was so enjoyable that when we told our grandson about it on his last holiday two years ago and there was an immediate request to come again to see the ships for himself instead of on video and pics !!! :lol:

So lets show a genuine Shetland welcome even if the Viking costumes are not up to "purist" standard they are colourful and clean, the raiding vikings were far from that until they settled in the various places in the UK .

Bring on the Tall Ships event and have a good time :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not a "purist" and I don't like your tone....

What's also embarrassing is that very often when these "viking parades" take place there are many of our Norwegian cousins present who must be looking on with a mixture of raised eyebrows and laughter....

I hope we don't see any Shetland/Mexican babies in 2012. Surely Shetland women aren't that.... :shock:

Well our Norwegian cousins have invited the Lerwick Jarl squads over for Norway Day in the past.

As for authentic vikings, so many miss the point. To paraphrase an ex-jarl to a tourist who was complaining about what she perceived as the lack of historical accuracy "It's not authentic Viking, it's authentic Up Helly-Aa."

I really don't have a problem with babies of different races, anything that widens wir gene pool surely has to be commended on this evidence. :lol:

I had a spree at the last Tall Ships and intend to do so again.You can't please everybody though :cry:

probably best not to attend Tall ships or Up Helly Aa Kavi, as they obviously upset your sensibilities.

In recent years there has been a tendency to "de-up-helly-aa" Up helly Aa by the intrusion of historical accuracy. There was something particulary and uniquely Up Helly Aa-ish about the winged and horned helmets. Bring dem on?

Lets face it, UHA is, and always was a "themed parade" to give some sense of legitimcacy to the toonies having a godless spree annually. Not that I have any problem with that, fill yer boots, but any historical authenticity probably begins and ends with the written bit about whoever any one Jarl is representing on any given year.

It probably could be said its "Norseman style", or "Norseman inspired", but any more than that is giving it credit for something its not.

Lets face it, UHA is, and always was a "themed parade" to give some sense of legitimcacy to the toonies having a godless spree annually. Not that I have any problem with that, fill yer boots, but any historical authenticity probably begins and ends with the written bit about whoever any one Jarl is representing on any given year.

It probably could be said its "Norseman style", or "Norseman inspired", but any more than that is giving it credit for something its not.

Yeh, I doot du's right and maybe I misunderstand UPA. I suppose the truth is(thankfully) that it has nothing to do wi wir true norse history and in a way I find that a relief.

Infact, talking of the only real part, why not name wir bairns after the real figures that are represented each year?. That would surely reflect a real sense of pride and interest.

At least the names are connected to Shetland unlike Cian et al...... :shock:

the sad thing was the Aberdeen mob doing the catering. I hope this time they will have listened, there are enough caterers of quality on the Islands already.

A local caterer of my acquaintance did do some catering for the 1999 Tall Ships and as far as they were concerned it was a disaster. Among other things they supplied sandwiches for a venue, which Environmental Health insisted had to be dumped as the venue had not organised a fridge to keep them in.

Their feeling about catering was there were to many chiefs having meetings to speak about things but nothing was communicated to those on the ground on how to organise themselves.

Maybe we may see some more Mexicano/Shetland Babies in 2112.

Sounds intruiging, will their be a Mexican invasion in 2112? Shame there isn't much likelihood of many current shetlinkers being around to see it.... unless there are some major medical advances between now and then!

Yup. long gestation that :oops: 2012...