Buses on hop Day

Ashalee

The qestion still remains is it a Public holiday or a Local holiday for the SIC , Schools, etc.

In official terminology it would appear to be both a public holiday and a local holiday, but not a bank holiday (though in Scotland the holidays taken by banks do not actually coincide with official bank holidays).

scotland.gov.uk[/url]"]Q. What is the difference between a bank holiday and a public or local holiday?

A. It is important to draw a distinction between bank holidays, and public or local holidays in Scotland. As the dates for bank holidays are set out in statute or are the subject of proclamation, it follows that they are the same across the whole of Scotland. On the other hand public or local holidays in Scotland are determined by local authorities, based on local tradition (not statutory authority) and after consultation with local business interests.There is no legal or statutory definition of public holiday in the United Kingdom and it is questionable whether public holidays exist in Scotland. The term is often confused with bank holidays. In England and Wales a bank holiday tends automatically to be a public holiday, in that the majority of people have the day off and the day is generally observed as a holiday. In Scotland this is not always the case.

The Lerwick post-UHA holiday was begun in 1908.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, Wednesday, I had a hospital appointment at four o'clock in the afternoon. I caught the only bus in to town from where I live in Hillswick, at half past seven in the morning. I caught the only bus home on a Wednesday at ten past five. I spent approximately seven hours waiting in Lerwick to be seen at the GB for a ten minute appointment

What a wonderful bus service :x

Yesterday, Wednesday, I had a hospital appointment at four o'clock in the afternoon. I caught the only bus in to town from where I live in Hillswick, at half past seven in the morning. I caught the only bus home on a Wednesday at ten past five. I spent approximately seven hours waiting in Lerwick to be seen at the GB for a ten minute appointment

Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of living in a rural area george. It's simply never going to be possible to provide a comprehensive, cost effective service that suits everyone's needs in every rural area.

The council/zettrans are looking at changing the current system so that there are fewer buses running all the way from Lerwick to their destination - instead replacing them with 'spine' routes served by big buses to places like Bixter and Brae and feeders from there to more far flung places. Not sure what stage that's at or if they have provided any draft timetables but you may find that Hillswick will be better served in the future.

The transport directory (the paper booklet that is) shows a "shoppers bus" from Hillswick to Lerwick every second Tuesday. Now if that is still running then maybe the hospital could schedule appointments for pedestrians from Hillswick to fit in with that bus. We certainly need ways for country people to get to appointments in town without having to spend the whole day in Lerwick. Of course I assume that had the hospital appointment been for something urgent you would just have to get the morning bus and wait but I guess this was more routine.

^ I have an appointments on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday. They are dated as such for a reason.

The bus service in Hillswick is utterly crap.

Of course I could walk twelve miles to Brae on a Wednesday and as I walk I could think about whether the council tax is being used to pay the fatman at the top or being used to pay for services that are required. It is not being used for the latter, methinks.

I appreciate that Paul. That though is very much more expensive than a bus fare so I take the only Wednesday morning bus in and the only Wednesday afternoon bus home. What irritates me though is the entrapment that my council tax is funding upon me. It can be used to help towards a public bus service but it does not.

So, what do we pay council tax for - apart from the buses that run between Lerwick and Sumburgh, more often than not with no-one aboard while I do not have access to a decent bus that I require. I haven't yet mentioned Sunday when there is no bus at all.

It's all crap. I pay my council tax happily for the sausage all that I get back.

I appreciate that Paul. That though is very much more expensive than a bus fare so I take the only Wednesday morning bus in and the only Wednesday afternoon bus home. What irritates me though is the entrapment that my council tax is funding upon me. It can be used to help towards a public bus service but it does not.

So, what do we pay council tax for - apart from the buses that run between Lerwick and Sumburgh, more often than not with no-one aboard while I do not have access to a decent bus that I require. I haven't yet mentioned Sunday when there is no bus at all.

It's all crap. I pay my council tax happily for the sausage all that I get back.