Village idiots?

Anakena

Have you been mentioned on the bill/in a squad act?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been mentioned on the bill/in a squad act?

• Yes
    • No
    • Using individuals for UHA/FF satire is morally wrong

Guest Anonymous

It may not be beneficial to the bairns in Scalloway but surely all the bairns at the school in Shetland deserve an equal share of the resources. And I don't see how they can justify keeping skerries open the community there like all the outer isles have to realise that the rest of us can not afford their lifestyle choice.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I don't see how they can justify keeping skerries open the community there like all the outer isles have to realise that the rest of us can not afford their lifestyle choice.

What a haverin fuil!! You can equate that to Shetland as a whole from the UK mainland. Livin here in Edinburgh I'm not that happy to think of taxes being squandered on air-ambulance flights from Shetland to Aberdeen. Why can't you accept that it would be cheaper for all if you relocated to an area near a large hospital?

...and how many toonies can thank their lifestyle choice through employment generated by the outlying islands in fishing and aquaculture?

It may not be beneficial to the bairns in Scalloway but surely all the bairns at the school in Shetland deserve an equal share of the resources.

Except as trowie246 has already said there is not going to be any "extra" resources by closing schools. There is going to be less resources, the schools which remain open will have their spending cut, not increased, and they will have more bairns in them to spend the reduced budgets on. This is so that your taxes can be used to keep the bankers in the lifestyle they enjoy bob! One bonus would keep Skerries open for years but there are thousands of bankers to reward. Oh well, blame the bairns for being greedy...

No. Just making an observation that I think some people are being over sensitive, and by posting this thread are actually doing more harm than the original statement ever could have, as it is drawing attention to what was said, where, and exactly what it means.

For the record, I read the bill on UHA day, including the allegedly "offensive" mention, but it has taken until now and reading the original post three times and then going back and re-reading the bill, for the penny to drop as to what exactly the OP is getting at.

I would expect a large percentage who read the bill, like me, really paid awfully little attention to that one small mention, and immediately forgot about it. However, now I will assuredly remember it, simply because of this thread.

Sometimes it pays in the long run just to let something slip, or at least take it up with the originators in private correspondence.

Soooo, Lemme get this straight?

It's ok to paint an insult aimed at peerie bairns, on a sheet o eight by four ply, nail it to the market cross in the knowledge that thousand upon thousands of folk will read it, that it will be photographed and reproduced in full by the Shetland times and posted to the internet by whoever wishes,

But it's definitely, definitely not ok for me to publicly discuss the aforementioned insult under any circumstances. Okay, okay, point taken, very sorry, I think I can see where you're coming from. Talking of which, How's life in old Pyongyang?, Rice supplies still haddin oot?

^^ Umm, no. The point I was trying to make is that although the "thousand upon thousands of folk" may have read it, photographed it, whatever'ed it wherever and whenever. Only a very small percentage of those who did realised what the reference pertained to, and even fewer realised it was offensive to some of the target.

The effect of posting it here as a complaint made sure that everyone who reads this, and passes it on ad infinitum, is fully aware of who exactly the dig was at, and that its struck a raw nerve with some. No doubt it would have been used by some toonie AHS pupils against Scalloway bairns anyway, but making a public fuss over it is likely to make sure far more toonies will make far more use of it than they would have otherwise.

If its any consolation, IMHO, that while all bills rely largely on near the knuckle humour, the comment on the LUHA one that you are objecting to, is on the low side for any bill. Its just that as I see it, making a public fuss and complaint about it can only make a bad thing worse, rather than better.

As for Pyongyang, I dunna ken whaur dat is, so I kenno aboot rice, bit whaurever he mae be, I fancy he's a grain warmer is here, so he'll be fine wi me. :wink:

Yes, "toonies" likely do get ridiculed in various other bills, hopefully for good reason though. I do have some sympathy with those who are upset by the "idiots" jibe since these kids have done nothing except live in Scalloway. They don't even want to go to the AHS! Also because it is not funny, just like the rest of the bill.

Good bill head painting though, I thought.

Bravo Crofter! That fairly says it for me too. What rankles me though is the presumption that we should accept anything that goes in the name of satire, lampooning etc just because it is in the spirit and tradition of UHA, Not so!

What the squad acts do and get away with is a completely different matter from what is considered suitable for public exhibit in the bill. I choose to have nothing to do with the uncouth drukken raami and they can dispose of their councillors and each other in the manner of the wicker man for all I really care, but I think I have a right to make an opinion on the part of it that I could access from my computer, and my point is the same as most objectors of this bill that it was in poor taste.

Yeah boys, I doot you're pishin intil da wind, bit mair fur da lack o midder wit!

the school closure issue is unbelievably politically complicated, and you can only begin to understand quite how much so when you start to fully look into it, BUT when one or two small schools go...its just the tip of the iceberg, and the beginning of a much much poorer standard of education for ALL SHETLANDS CHILDREN ,its the one thing as an Island Group we could be justifiably proud of was a standrd of education second to none in the UK, off topic ? for sure, but you needna come pleepsin about your own area if your willing to knife your fellow islanders in the back , metaphorically, where ever they happen to be ....onyway, Corrie is on an Fizz is in a rite witter....

It may not be beneficial to the bairns in Scalloway but surely all the bairns at the school in Shetland deserve an equal share of the resources. And I don't see how they can justify keeping skerries open the community there like all the outer isles have to realise that the rest of us can not afford their lifestyle choice.

Perhaps it isn't a simple 'lifestyle choice' for everyone though Bob. Perhaps the outer isles is home to some of those in the community, as it has been to their ancestors for as many generations as can be counted.

The Skerries folks were very clever as they asked for an independent socio-economic study to be carried out during the consultation.

This showed on paper, in theory at least, that if the Skerries secondary department closed that the Shetland economy would actually be quite a bit worse off than if it was kept open.

Apologies for going off-topic.

But on saying that the Skerries folks can't be accused of being village idiots. Now every area targeted for school closures is demanding a socio-economic study is carried out.