Village idiots?

Anakena

Have you been mentioned on the bill/in a squad act?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been mentioned on the bill/in a squad act?

• Yes
    • No
    • Using individuals for UHA/FF satire is morally wrong

The Skerries folks were very clever as they asked for an independent socio-economic study to be carried out during the consultation.

This showed on paper, in theory at least, that if the Skerries secondary department closed that the Shetland economy would actually be quite a bit worse off than if it was kept open.

This proves Lola Boomboom's point:

...and how many toonies can thank their lifestyle choice through employment generated by the outlying islands in fishing and aquaculture?

Skerries is contributing more than it is taking Bob, imagine that!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the person who started this thread not think it is just making it worse being on here?! I bet the lerwick committee are laughing that people have bitten! If you feel that strongly about something so trivial why not stand by it and write to the lerwick uha committee instead of an anonymous forum?!

Does the person who started this thread not think it is just making it worse being on here?! I bet the lerwick committee are laughing that people have bitten! If you feel that strongly about something so trivial why not stand by it and write to the lerwick uha committee instead of an anonymous forum?!

If it deserves to be made worse so be it. That is what is up for discussion.. and yes, on an anonymous forum which exists for the reason of discussion and debate does it not? I would also have no problems putting my name in public to voice my opinions there as well. Laughing at the fact that I have bitten implies there was something that I was fooled by; something that wasn't what it appeared to be... I have fallen for the bait, taken the lure... idiot me!! No, I am voicing an opinion on something I see as a base slur against some children. Nothing clever, no bait, and I am still waiting for someone with a modicum of wit to explain the bit I missed that could make me the object of LUHA committee's laughter.

Given the global prestige of UHA and the true creative talent and skill that goes into the Galley, the bill painting, Jarl squad uniforms etc, I think it's a great shame that the bill, which don't forget is for public scrutiny, cannot follow suit and I figure the UHA committee should look at handing that job to someone who might understand the concept of what it should be. Satire and humour so they can make a proper job of it too.. Also they might consider moving with the times and tailoring the same bill within the boundries where it is so accessable now on a global scale. The internet is a powerful tool as I'm sure the committee knows. I seem to recall some unfortunate being stripped of his future Jarldom through some 'soothmoother' comments made on a Bebo page. Were they laughing at that trivial little matter or did they take the furore seriously? Might be wise to look at this one too and consider any logical or rational comments that have reared because of it. I don't believe in the 'better to let it drop' arguement as it panders to the mob rule attitude of UHA and whatever is the spirit and tradition of it there is still the possibility to go too far and in this instance I believe they have, however small the point might be it's a pity. Thats all.

Guest Anonymous

you'll have cast iron figures to back that statement up I would imagine.

But if we are going to spend X amount on a couple of bairns then surely every bairn in shetland can demand that X amount is spent on their education.

we could send all our bairns to fettes, eton or any number of private schools if we were to spend on them what we spend on the skerries bairns

you'll have cast iron figures to back that statement up I would imagine.

But if we are going to spend X amount on a couple of bairns then surely every bairn in shetland can demand that X amount is spent on their education.

we could send all our bairns to fettes, eton or any number of private schools if we were to spend on them what we spend on the skerries bairns

Read it again Bob:

The Skerries folks were very clever as they asked for an independent socio-economic study to be carried out during the consultation.

This showed on paper, in theory at least, that if the Skerries secondary department closed that the Shetland economy would actually be quite a bit worse off than if it was kept open.

Taking your argument further, should every Scottish pupil be entitled to have the amount spent on them as it costs to educate a child in Shetland?

there is no longer an education budget from the Scottish Government, but a "block grant" of around £90,000,000 to be divvied up as our council sees fit...... closing schools in rural areas is against the concordat of our Council and completely flies in the face of " socio economic" policy , end of story ,written in black and white !. What a lot o bruck sumfolk truttle, da very idea that bein born an brought up somway is a " lifestyle choice" for a bairn....... as the sayin goes...when your in a hole stop hokkin

And if Shetland told edinburgh and london to shove it and went with independence the uk would soon collapse without our oil.

p.s. I'm no a toonie

Mainland Shetland would not be that much better off. Most of the North Sea oil would belong to Unst, Fetlar, Whalsay and erm, Skerries. They could have a school for each pupil if they wanted. There would be some benefit to mainland Shetland from the West side reserves, but the lions share would belong to Yell, Papa Stour and Foula.

Guest Anonymous

The last job I did the company spent more money drilling 1 well than Shetland gets from the uk in a year, it was not all that big a producer yet it will pay for itself in a couple of years. So to think we are getting anything like a good deal is naive in the extreme.