Storage Heaters

JaxandTim

I'm with B and GR on this - they are ABSOLUTELY useless. Fine if you want no heat at night and are stuck in all day and are happy to change the heavy bricks in them every few years - and they ain't cheap.

We ripped ours out and put in small Dimplex panel heaters - the 3 large Dimplex storage heaters were shot.

As the alleged "Total Heat Total Control (ahem - they mean they control when it gobbles up your lekky and heats the immersion heater at 1am) package means that the heating is on the alleged cheaper tariff, why bother with the storage heaters?

If you've got the space and no kids/animals to harm themselves, I'd go for a Calor portable gas fire. If not and you have a flue, whack in a multi burner wotsits jobbie.

The price of lekky is crazy up here - it costs more to heat this one bed flat than it did for a smaller one down sarf with gas and lekky. Storage and panel heaters are not the cheapest option.

Failing all the suggestions above, get knitting, wear 3 T shirts and 2 jumpers, 3 pairs of sox, tights under ya jeans and (for medicinal purposes naturally), have a large brandy! :wink:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: :lol:

I must admit I'm a 'put a jumper on' kinda lady…. Have always lived in cold houses, which means I'm coping rather well with just 2 storage heaters and my trusty oil rayburn :-) (can't run heating from it)

My electric bill wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, thankfully! This is mainly due to me being tight :lol:

I'm still undecided, as we've coped really well with what we have….

Many thanks for all your replies.

Jackie

Fine if you want no heat at night and are stuck in all day and are happy to change the heavy bricks in them every few years - and they ain't cheap.

We ripped ours out and put in small Dimplex panel heaters

Why on earth do you need to change the bricks?!?

Also panel heaters on a normal tarriff? might as well burn £5 notes to keep warm

^^ Because the bricks only last so many years.

Re small panel heaters - choice of running an old storage heater with the bricks crumbling and fallen to bits thus not retaining heat; plus it depends on how large your rooms are. Didn't have a few hundred pounds spare to buy a new storage heater.

20 odd year in the electrical industry, the first I've ever heard that!!

Well, it came from Dimplex themselves. We phoned them up, explained the situation and despite Dimplex saying on their website about how their storage heaters are "maintenance free for life", their definition of "life" is five years (hence the warranty).

I suppose if the bricks never needed replacing, there wouldn't be loads of new bricks for sale on eBay and other websites selling them. I know the days are long gone since asbestos was used in storage heater bricks but these storage heaters were in a right mess, dented, absolutely covered in dirt, the lot.

I'm fortunate in that I type up building surveys, schedules of dilapidations, etc., for more than one surveyor and quite often it is recommended to either replace or refurbish a storage heater and they also recommend changing the bricks.

I don't suppose Dimplex want to advertise the fact that the bricks don't last forever.

I have found a few that had crumbled when I used to work with them. We thought that they had been wet at sometime, I remember getting told off by the chargehand for leaving bricks out in the rain, when they were being delivered.

Though I think the constant heating and cooling must play its part over the years. But muckleflugga is right about the insulation, that too turned to a brown/gray dust.

• 1 month later...

I have had storage heating for 20 years. The big one in the living room is useless and always has been since day one. It has been looked at several times by the council, but all they do is change the thermostat. The problem is; it just doesn't store any heat! It gets warm when I turn it up high - but it costs a fortune. I have asked for it to be taken out, but the council won't do it. It takes up space and is a pointless expense. Don't bother with the big storage heater if you are considering storage heating.

Thanks for that. I suspect it has been faulty since the beginning as it has never worked as it should. Nobody listens. I can't get the council to do anything about it and the hydro just say it's the councils responsibility. So I'm stuck with it and have to be cold in Winter. In fact I stopped using the room so much this Winter as it's uncomfortably cold.