4 day School Week

GypsyScy

oh what a good idea. more time for them to be sent to the mills. the only country reducing education. even the thatcher would have stopped before that. these toffs in power seem quite happy with cutting anything that makes the lower classes more equal very strange i wonder if they went to a local school or was it eton and the others.

these toffs in power seem quite happy with cutting anything that makes the lower classes more equal very strange i wonder if they went to a local school or was it eton and the others.

I see in the article that it is a Labour led council that is putting the suggestion forwards.

I wonder what their motive for this could be?

The council involved have backtracked on the 4 day week proposal, instead suggesting bairns wait until 6 to go to school.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12380012

A Scottish council leader has said proposals for a four-day week at primary and secondary schools were thought up as a "worst case scenario".

North Ayrshire Council confirmed on Sunday that it may examine the move to cope with planned funding cuts.

But council leader David O'Neill said the idea was among a range put forward for consideration by council officers but not supported by councillors.

A long-term plan for children to start school at six had greater backing.

Mr O'Neill said the council would be more likely to make efficiencies by raising the starting age to six, increasing class sizes or cutting the number of school buildings.

There are a lot of savings that can be made in schools before getting to this IMO. Some off the cuff suggestions include:

* Not supplying stationary to children (bring your own!)

* Audit all resources - sell off what is not being used

* Issue a minimum amount of stationary to staff and keep track of it

* Limit printing and photocopying

* Do not allow colour printing and laminating

* Centrally store school furniture and certain resources. This means that schools will have to look there first before ordering new.

* Transfer resource budgets to teachers for art and craft materials. The teacher will only buy what they need for the year.

* Create a central storage centre and buy in massive bulk, and resource from there. Im sure buying 2 million jotters will work out substantialy cheaper (per item) than 10.

* Reduce job sharing. This means that councils will not need to pay for 'cross over' time.

* Justify accounts and expenses by publishing everything online.

I could go on. My point is that there are substantial savings there for the taking before going to extremes.