Your council. We're listening. Have your say

SICcomms

^ It's ok to have specific comments on SIC communication issues. We just don't want to bogged down with other policy discussion here.

I disagree that this is 'just ... an exercise in box ticking'. It looks to me more like the SIC making a laudable effort to leverage available resources to achieve their goals. Using Shetlink, amongst other media, is an ideal way to both improve communication and seek further input on how said communication can be further improved.

I completely agree 100%. Just box ticking.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As good as shetlink is about getting a message out there you will find that it is only the same handful of people willing to openly (albeit anonymously.. except i know who you all are anyway apart from Njugle /shakes fist) respond to threads.

Will Fjool not tell you ;)

My experience of public consultation has been that it's management's way of communicating to the masses what has already been decided.
And folk carrying out a consultation will say that the public never think it was a decent job unless it ends up agreeing with their own view. The truth as usual is likely somewhere in between the two....

It's not that people are dishonest, it's that they have thought about it, come to a conclusion about how they feel on an issue, and think that any other reasonable person who does the same is going to end up sharing their point of view......

Any consultation is about finding out those various points of view and how people will be affected and making sure that they have all been considered, but whether or not that will change the final proposals will depend on other factors too.

Similarly with a referendum on VE. It would be a fair assumption that it might not be that different from the Shetland Times poll, something near to a 3 way split, so after the arguments about what they means in terms of support and majorities, the council will still decide something and 1/3 of people will still think that they council did not take proper account of their views......

My experience of public consultation has been that it's management's way of communicating to the masses what has already been decided.

I can only say that's not the case here. There have already been detailed points raised that will definitely be taken further. Noticeboards in libraries (and indeed other community buildings) is such a straightforward and simple 'technology' that it would be easy to forget it. The community councils issue is very interesting. And yes, we're looking at opening up parts of the council survey to Shetlink (some sections are, I think, irrelevant if you don't work for the council).

More, too. In a week or two we will collate the issues raised here and hopefully give Shetlinkers a further chance to respond. Next week, ads will appear elsewhere inviting responses by phone, email and on paper.

We're committed to a culture of openness and transparency at the SIC, and this process is an absolutely honest and straightforward attempt to express that.

... And yes, we're looking at opening up parts of the council survey to Shetlink (some sections are, I think, irrelevant if you don't work for the council). ...

We're committed to a culture of openness and transparency at the SIC, and this process is an absolutely honest and straightforward attempt to express that.

Now THAT is, in my humble opinion, precisely what is WRONG with how organisations within the UK regard anyone wanting information. With all due respect, you have made assumption "(some sections are, I think, irrelevant if you don't work for the council)". How do you know? Yes, it may well for all I/we know be about flexible working paperwork, sick records, etc., but why shouldn't the people of Shetland know how the Council works? Openness and transparency means precisely that - unless it is a security matter or would breach the Data Protection Act, then ALL of the survey should be made available.

In other European countries, albeit I'm not a fan of the EU per se, practically everything is out in the open.

In a nutshell, please don't make assumptions as to what the public want to see - I, for one, would now like to see all of the survey but others may not and I can't speak for them, just myself. However, as others have said, this is a step in the right direction by asking people re communication but I too have concerns re box-ticking, especially in light of the DC's mention before he went regarding a magazine!

If you (SIC Comms) want to put a more positive/beneficial light on things why not try a Facebook page too. By the very nature of FB people would have to 'like' SIC before subscribing to any info you spread that way, or any comments you get back in return AND it's not anonymous. Direct interaction with the interested public.

I know a number of councillors and community figures are already FB members. It could spawn a whole local governmental sub-culture of communication. Works for clubs and societies already. :wink:

Tere is a big drive towards using Facebook etc in this manner, indeed the Communities of Practice website offers the ability to link to facebook profiles and is very much a social networking site for local government in itself.

There is a danger though. Most people don't want their work dragged into their personal life in such a public manner. I am certainly one of those. I have work life, and personal life, and other that the occasional social meetup with workmates, they should never meet. I certainly don't want my facebook page covered with issues I should be dealing with at work.

Also, of course, many people working for the council, as with any job, do not necessarily agree with what they do (thats what makes it a job and not a hobby after all) so they need to be able to respond and give feedback as members of the public, as well as employees.

All good points S72.

SIC employees need not "like" it if they didn't want to though.

If the SIC Comms actively used a "page" and not a profile, they could broadcast without having a newsfeed of their 'friends' activities in return, except for the wall posts that "likers" deliberately added.

Hmm, ponders. :ponders:

All good points S72.

If the SIC Comms actively used a "page" and not a profile, they could broadcast without having a newsfeed of their 'friends' activities in return, except for the wall posts that "likers" deliberately added.

I believe they also have to comply with Facebook's T&Cs which states something along the lines of that the page owner has to advise those "liking" the page that information may be used so that it complies not only with FB T&C but also data protection.

[

More, too. In a week or two we will collate the issues raised here and hopefully give Shetlinkers a further chance to respond. Next week, ads will appear elsewhere inviting responses by phone, email and on paper.

If dere wis nae computers dan dir wid be nae need fur SIC comms doctors, SIC Spin doctors an da lek. Every cooncilir an council official widna need laptops an blackberries an wid save da ratepayer £millions. Computers just means takin on mair & mair staff an less & less wark done becase dir spending aa dir time tweetin an twitterin on gricebaak or whitever hits caaed..

I’m never seen a cooncilir yit dat wid tell da truth if a lee cuid doe in his place.

True, but thats where the dilemma of when are you a member of the public and whan are you an employee creeps in.

That would be the preferred option. I think it is outward going information the council should concentrate on. People being able to recieve accurate news updates, service changes, ferry information etc as part of a facebook/twitter feed would be excellent. Its time to accept there are probably more who will recieve the information that way than in a soundbite on Radio Shetland.

I really can't see that incoming opinion is much of an issue. After all one only needs to look at the letters page of the times or a large part of these here forums to find out a wide range of views on a wide range of subjects.

I can only say that's not the case here. There have already been detailed points raised that will definitely be taken further. Noticeboards in libraries (and indeed other community buildings) is such a straightforward and simple 'technology' that it would be easy to forget it. The community councils issue is very interesting. And yes, we're looking at opening up parts of the council survey to Shetlink (some sections are, I think, irrelevant if you don't work for the council).

spot on jaydee67

Some tips here for SICspinners and SICconns

Goebbels' Principles of Propaganda

1. Propagandist must have access to intelligence concerning events and public opinion.

2. Propaganda must be planned and executed by only one authority.

a. It must issue all the propaganda directives.

b. It must explain propaganda directives to important officials and maintain their morale.

c. It must oversee other agencies' activities which have propaganda consequences

3. The propaganda consequences of an action must be considered in planning that action.

4. Propaganda must affect the enemy's policy and action.

a. By suppressing propagandistically desirable material which can provide the enemy with useful intelligence

b. By openly disseminating propaganda whose content or tone causes the enemy to draw the desired conclusions

c. By goading the enemy into revealing vital information about himself

d. By making no reference to a desired enemy activity when any reference would discredit that activity

5. Declassified, operational information must be available to implement a propaganda campaign

6. To be perceived, propaganda must evoke the interest of an audience and must be transmitted through an attention-getting communications medium.

7. Credibility alone must determine whether propaganda output should be true or false.

8. The purpose, content and effectiveness of enemy propaganda; the strength and effects of an expose; and the nature of current propaganda campaigns determine whether enemy propaganda should be ignored or refuted.

9. Credibility, intelligence, and the possible effects of communicating determine whether propaganda materials should be censored.

10. Material from enemy propaganda may be utilized in operations when it helps diminish that enemy's prestige or lends support to the propagandist's own objective.

11. Black rather than white propaganda may be employed when the latter is less credible or produces undesirable effects.

12. Propaganda may be facilitated by leaders with prestige.

13. Propaganda must be carefully timed.

a. The communication must reach the audience ahead of competing propaganda.

b. A propaganda campaign must begin at the optimum moment

c. A propaganda theme must be repeated, but not beyond some point of diminishing effectiveness

14. Propaganda must label events and people with distinctive phrases or slogans.

a. They must evoke desired responses which the audience previously possesses

b. They must be capable of being easily learned

c. They must be utilized again and again, but only in appropriate situations

d. They must be boomerang-proof

15. Propaganda to the home front must prevent the raising of false hopes which can be blasted by future events.

16. Propaganda to the home front must create an optimum anxiety level.

a. Propaganda must reinforce anxiety concerning the consequences of defeat

b. Propaganda must diminish anxiety (other than concerning the consequences of defeat) which is too high and which cannot be reduced by people themselves

17. Propaganda to the home front must diminish the impact of frustration.

a. Inevitable frustrations must be anticipated

b. Inevitable frustrations must be placed in perspective

18. Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of aggression by specifying the targets for hatred.

19. Propaganda cannot immediately affect strong counter-tendencies; instead it must offer some form of action or diversion, or both.