Clive's Record Shop

Guest metallica man

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think what you like, as will I, but judanes have had their snout in the trough for years and plenty knew about it long before it was debated here on shetlink.

So part of the reason Clive's has had to close is in part due to his sister becoming involved in the business what, 15 years ago at a rough estimate?

Like I said somehow I don't think you can justify that and if that was the case Clive's would have shut long ago but it didn't. I'm afraid you're statement just doesn't add up!

:wink:

Well I did not spend any money there once she became a partner, neither did a few others I know, maybe it took 15 years for the penny to drop with you biglad, but not for me. The controversy with his sister became much more public in the last couple of years and his business has struggled for the last couple of years, make of it what you will.

I think its best we agree to disagree on this one. I've been a regular customer at Clive's for the last 20-25 year I for one am sad to see it go!
i shopped we him fae he furst opened accross fae da queens and i still would today if it wasn't for the reason discussed

His first shop was up Burns Lane.

Well I did not spend any money there once she became a partner, neither did a few others I know, maybe it took 15 years for the penny to drop with you biglad, but not for me. The controversy with his sister became much more public in the last couple of years and his business has struggled for the last couple of years, make of it what you will.

Still a little confused so you didn't shop in Clives when he moved to the current premisies (his sisters premisies) because his sister in 15years or so time would become a councilor that you disagree with?

^^ She's never made a secret of her involvement, and it was declared as one of her list of business interests as a councillor last I checked, along a significant chunk of of real estate both sides of Bressay Sound.

Whether she cares what's said about her here in the context of her business interest in Clive's is irrelevant, its in the public domain that she has that business interest, and as a councillor she's fair game for public scrutiny and comment.

OT. While its regrettable to see any business close down, businesses need to evolve to remain bouyant, and for a place like Clive's there is really no place left to evolve to. Entertainment formats and availability have themselves evolved to a point where a traditional shop has virtually no place, once the mainstream sales fell to a point where they alone weren't enough to keep him afloat, it wasn't a case of "if" the shop would close, it was "when".

Niche markets simply aren't large enough to be viable in Shetland, and diversification in to additional lines would just have spread him too thin to successfully cater to any of them.

As Dratsy says though, Miller's involvement was just one more millstone for the business. While it never prevented me from considering using the shop, the fact that one of the Judane crew was pocketing profits from it certainly was no incentive to go the extra mile and make a point of supporting it either.

• 1 year later...

It's christmas yet again, the only time of year I like to buy CDs. I went to the beloved tesco last week as I walked round I thought about buying some CDs.

The display has only a few CDs none of which I wanted to buy. I will not buy from amazon or play.com or any other Internet only businesses as I do not agree with large corporate companies not paying tax in this country. If you trade you should pay and if every business played fair then we would not be in the situation we are in today.

Clive's for me is a big loss, we live on a small island in the middle of the sea with no where to go for shopping locally we will be at the mercy of Internet or have to make the journey to Aberdeen get the basics.

Want to be doing that when your in your older??

It's christmas yet again, the only time of year I like to buy CDs. I went to the beloved tesco last week as I walked round I thought about buying some CDs.

The display has only a few CDs none of which I wanted to buy. I will not buy from amazon or play.com or any other Internet only businesses as I do not agree with large corporate companies not paying tax in this country. If you trade you should pay and if every business played fair then we would not be in the situation we are in today.

Clive's for me is a big loss, we live on a small island in the middle of the sea with no where to go for shopping locally we will be at the mercy of Internet or have to make the journey to Aberdeen get the basics.

Want to be doing that when your in your older??

Truly a big miss...I still hate down-loading, furthermore Clive’s was social event.

Exactly my point I refuse to support businesses that do not pay there tax. I bet over the years Clive paid. Any profit maybe at tesco, all be it I don't think they will make much on the cd area, will go to other areas either south or abroad.

We as the shetland community are putting all our eggs in one basket in terms of retail options.