Mumford and Sons

Tomblands

Guest Anonymous
Just a thought and I on't know if this has already been covered in this post because to be quite honest, I haven't read all of it yet but why were the tickets on sale at High level music and not somewhere with disabled access?

Surely the disabled have the right to see the groups that come to Shetland too?

I find it interesting that the question wasn't raised until 3 pages into the thread! Gives an fascinating insight to how people automatically overlook disabled folk. But someone was likely parked in the disabled bays outside the bank anyhow! (swinging back on topic now)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why HLM?

:roll: The forensic analysis of every aspect of this matter is unbelievable. People seem to be thinking as if it was some sort of council house allocation exercise where fairness has been trampled upon. It wasn't. It was a relatively routine commercial arrangement where some individuals were prepared to go the extra mile for free. For doing so, they are being wrongly accused of things. Incredible.

As for the illiteracy topic, point noted concerning the appropriate thread.

Just a thought and I on't know if this has already been covered in this post because to be quite honest, I haven't read all of it yet but why were the tickets on sale at High level music and not somewhere with disabled access?

This is a really good, and, relevent point.

Society is becoming ever more aware of the problems faced by people with disabilities but more needs to be done. I would like to see the above questioned answered and hopefully not with "You could have asked someone to get you one".

On a positive note it's great to see the huge effort that Davie G and others put into getting these kind of current acts to Shetland, long may it continue. Davie, you are a vital part of this community bringing people together in these harsh times through music, and Davie, your posts regarding all the flack you were undoubtedly going to receive from some of the 'Shetlink' moan brigade have been a joy to read, as always some people are never happy.

I myself unfortunately didn't get a ticket but i hope those that did have a magical evening while i cry into my pint in the lower Lounge thinking about what could have been, maybe next time:)

And why HLM?

:roll: The forensic analysis of every aspect of this matter is unbelievable. People seem to be thinking as if it was some sort of council house allocation exercise where fairness has been trampled upon. It wasn't. It was a relatively routine commercial arrangement where some individuals were prepared to go the extra mile for free. For doing so, they are being wrongly accused of things. Incredible.

Absolutely agree wholeheartedly with you EM on some of the drivel that has been thrown Davie's way regarding the organising of this and i really hope it won't dampen his enthusiasm, but, i do believe the question regarding disabled access is a fair one, even if just to highlight for the next time.

Cheers

This is a really good, and, relevent point.

Society is becoming ever more aware of the problems faced by people with disabilities but more needs to be done. I would like to see the above questioned answered and hopefully not with "You could have asked someone to get you one".

Or disabled people could be more practical and realistic in their aspirations, and accept some disabilities mean you are going to miss out on a lot of stuff you want and could have had were you not disabled.

Good luck to those disabled folk who want and use whatever facilities are provided specifically for them, but all I see are the able vast majority being disproportionately inconvenienced and the world being made a more dangerous and expensive place because of this that and the other that now must be provided by statute here there and everywhere for the small disabled minority, to the point its embarrassing to actually think of using the facilities.

Before anybody advocates having me shot and hung....the above is said as somebody who has been disabled to the point of being almost housebound for almost two decades.

you'll lekly aa say dis is a silly question, bit whit wey wis da tickets no fur sale trow wir aa singing aa dancin (an nae doot cost wis a penny ir twa tae set up) Shetland Box Office?

http://www.shetlandarts.org/venues/shetland-box-office/

Sales were stricly on a direct buy only. Yes we could have done that from the Box Office too but the request was to use a small local outlet and I often use HLM for this.

There were no phone or online sales so it mattered not a jot where we sold them from.

All possible arrangements were made for the disabled or infirm in this respect - outwith giving them preferential ticket sales.

This was both discussed and agreed with Disability Shetland themselves no less.

Also please note there are strictly no reservations whatever the excuse, so please don't bother phoning High Level looking for any kind of deal, pre-sale or whatever. Brian in HLM can do absolutely nothing for you in this respect and sadly neither can I.

As stipulated by the bands management it will be strictly on a first come first served basis with sales limited to 2 tickets per person.

It seems that, as said, this was totally out of DG hands.

Though with hindsight ( a most splendid thing) someone could have pointed that out. If they did, and it was ignored then shame on the promoter, I hope the band is told. And why HLM? Good as I know they are.

As I say I had a number of discussions with disabled people looking for tickets and told them the provisions being made for them. They were either happy with this or got tickets through others queuing for them or whatever.

To the best of my belief all I spoke to managed to secure tickets. If they decided to queue we took their tickets down the steps to them.

As I say I also set out the plan - and the difficulties - to Disability Shetland and they were more than happy with this.

So in short we did think of this.

And why HLM?

Well said EM

Can I just thank 'Ally' for his quick reply and his apology which I of course fully accept and respect.

However, posting anything of this nature, even jokingly, does lead to wildfire local rumour and misunderstandings, especially when you apparently also 'evidence' your argument - as on this particular occasion re the ticket numbers. Once someone reads something like this they usually accept it as fact.

If in future anyone has any concerns re anything of this nature that I'm involved with, please have the guts to contact me direct on the subject before you choose to go into public and anonymous print of any kind on it. Cold and upset or not!!!!

If you then still have a genuine grevience then please feel free to go for it and me!!!!

Had this 'rumour' got back to the promoter on the mainland - and more so to the bands management - it's not overstating the issue to say that some very serious questions would have, initially at least, been asked of me. And had I not been in a position to answer them effectively and honestly (with appropriate evidence) it could actually have still put the whole gig at risk - not to mention my personal reputation with the bands powers-that-be for any future promotions of this kind.

Think about it - in their minds I might well have been holding back THEIR tickets to sell on the black market for my own personal profit rather than giving them to a clique of any kind as was suggested here.

Please think of the potential damage insinuations, rumours or even jokes such as this can do BEFORE you go into public print in future.

And as to the defination of the work "joke" - cheers for this I'm now totally clear on that one. It was a new word on me :D

Or disabled people could be more practical and realistic in their aspirations, and accept some disabilities mean you are going to miss out on a lot of stuff you want and could have had were you not disabled.

Good luck to those disabled folk who want and use whatever facilities are provided specifically for them, but all I see are the able vast majority being disproportionately inconvenienced and the world being made a more dangerous and expensive place because of this that and the other that now must be provided by statute here there and everywhere for the small disabled minority, to the point its embarrassing to actually think of using the facilities.

Before anybody advocates having me shot and hung....the above is said as somebody who has been disabled to the point of being almost housebound for almost two decades.

Ghostrider - that's a well balanced view from someone who has a serious physical disability.

As for Mumford - well done if you got a ticket. Them playing live in such a small venue will be something special.

Please think of the potential damage insinuations, rumours or even jokes such as this can do BEFORE you go into public print in future.

A lesson to us all.

Not really knowing who DG is, I guess he has quite a position in the community.

I apologise for any misrepresentations. They were not intended for harm.