Mumford and Sons

Tomblands

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand that Mumford and sons want to play smaller venues as part of their tour - but how often do a band of this calibre come to Shetland? They could easy sell out the Clickimin and there'd still be a lot of unhappy folk that couldn't get tickets.

C'mon Davie G - use your infulence to convince the band and the Clickimin that it would be something very special for Shetland this.

This is their choice entirely and neither I nor anyone else had any say in the matter. It's a special gig for everyone on the tour and bar Inverness they are all small gigs. That's the deal with Mumford and Sons. If we had not agreed to this there would be no gigs at all.

They too clearly understand that bigger venues would equally sell out at ALL the places chosen for these gigs, but as I say that's not the deal this time around. It's not a matter of influence either. It's their shout not mine and they know exactly what they are doing - and yes that whatever they do some people, perhaps lots, will be disappointed.

I understand the argument completely but this was simply not an option on this occasion. Hopefully next time!!

Rest assured Mumford and Sons do realise exactly what they are doing - the capacity of all the venues they are playing etc etc.

Of course had I had the choice I would have gone for the Clickimin or alternatively more nights than one in a smaller venue etc etc - and I'm equally sure Clickimin would have booked the main hall for us irrespective of ordinary bookings on that night had this been an option. It's nothing to do with acoustics. Perish the thought!!!!

None of this has anything to do with the fact that this is the stipulation of the band and their management themselves - exactly as it was with Franz Ferdinand. They themselves have requested to tour the Highlands and Islands in this fashion and doing a larger tour of larger venues was not an option right from the outset. Had we not agreed to this none of you would have seen the band here or anywhere else for that matter.

In terms of getting bands of this stature to Shetland in the first instance we ALWAYS have to work to their terms and conditions - including when and where they play and for how much - otherwise we would NEVER be able to afford them at all.

Rest assured this is unlikely to change even when Mareel is open as neither I nor they could ever hope to afford the full commercial rates that bands of this kind charge. That's why we have to sing to their tune (pardon the pun) as to when and how we get them.

You simply can't lift the phone and book bands like Mumford and Sons the same way as you would say Scaldin Bragg.

Why not simply be thankful that a small place like Shetland can, semi-regularly at least, attract bands of this kind at all. Lots of other places are not nearly so lucky

Oh and by the way although the Kirkwall Cathedral is of course larger in capacity than the Whiteness and Weisdale Hall, their gig will be a sit down one and, as such, only around 200 people will be able to see the band at all - given there's no stage there and beyond that people can't see for the pillars in the venue. I understand they are selling tickets there with this in mind. So you're better off in W & W for sure.

I'm also told that the Shetland gig is the second largest on the tour next to Inverness - and even then I had to encourage them to go for 370 tickets rather than their originally stipulated limit of a max of 300.

As I say lets simply count ourselves lucky on this one whatever your perceived problems are. It would have been much cheaper and indeed easier for the band to have done the whole tour on the mainland and missed the isles out all-together as so many others do!!!

Just to let everyone know the story re Mumford and Sons. They are playing the Whiteness and Weisdale Hall on the 9th March 8pm as part of a very low key Highlands and Islands tour. All small venues bar the Ironworks in Inverness.

This was their choice and stipulation, so that was the deal, or the tour would not have happened at all. So before everyone starts shouting "Why not the Clickimin Centre" that's the reason. Maybe next time!!!

Whiteness and Weisdale hall has the biggest capacity in this respect in Shetland and initially they did not want any audience to be over 300 in total. I managed to persuade them to up this a bit - but that was it. No other options would have been considered.

Tickets go on sale direct from High Level Music at 9am this Saturday.There are only 370 on sale and the deal with the bands management is they have to be bought direct from the shop (no phone or online options)

Sorry folks in the likes of the North Isles. This is not the way I usually do business and I always try to keep you in mind and create some kind of equal buying access for this very reason - but that was simply not an option for me on this occasion. Hopefully you can get someone to get ones for you.

Also please note there are strictly no reservations whatever the excuse, so please don't bother phoning High Level looking for any kind of deal, pre-sale or whatever. Brian in HLM can do absolutely nothing for you in this respect and sadly neither can I.

As stipulated by the bands management it will be strictly on a first come first served basis with sales limited to 2 tickets per person.

They will only go on sale at 9am from the shop on Saturday morning - price £20. There are no other options. Also please don't call the Box Office in Islesburgh - they have no tickets whatsoever available.

Also please don't ask me when you should start queuing - I have no idea and I'm not going to even hazard a guess on that one. Suffice to say there is MASSIVE interest in this one!!!! I will have to leave that up to your own judgement or how desperate you re to ensure you get one in time.

OK that's the deal - bad for some as it might be. Hope as many of you as possible can lay hands on ones as it should be quite a night.

OK just for total clarity on this and to let everyone know the story re Mumford and Sons. They are playing the Whiteness and Weisdale Hall on the 9th March 8pm as part of a very low key Highlands and Islands tour. All small venues bar the Ironworks in Inverness.

As I said earlier in this thread that was their choice and stipulation, so that was the deal or the tour would not have happened at all. So before everyone starts shouting "Why not the Clickimin Centre" that's the reason. Maybe next time!!!

Whiteness and Weisdale hall has the biggest capacity in this respect in Shetland and initially they did not want any audience to be over 300 in total. I managed to persuade them to 'up' this a bit - but that was it. No other options would have been considered.

Tickets go on sale direct from High Level Music at 9am this Saturday.There are only 370 on sale and the deal with the bands management is they have to be bought direct from the shop (no phone or online options)

Sorry folks in the likes of the North Isles. This is not the way I usually do business and I always try to keep you in mind and create some kind of equal buying access for this very reason - but that was simply not an option for me on this occasion. Hopefully you can get someone to get ones for you.

Also please note there are strictly no reservations whatever the excuse, so please don't bother phoning High Level looking for any kind of deal, pre-sale or whatever. If you can be there in person on Saturday morning you simply will not get a ticket through the normal channels - sad as that may be. Brian in HLM can do absolutely nothing for you in this respect and sadly neither can I.

As stipulated by the bands management it will be strictly on a first come first served basis with sales limited to 2 tickets per person.

They will only go on sale at 9am from the shop on Saturday morning - price £20. Again please note there are no other options. Also please don't call the Box Office in Islesburgh - they have no tickets whatsoever available.

Also don't ask me when you should start queuing - I have no idea and I'm not going to even hazard a guess on that one. Suffice to say there is, not surprisingly, MASSIVE interest in this one!!!! I will have to leave that issue up to your own judgement or how desperate you are to ensure you get one in time.

OK that's the deal - bad for some as it might be. Hope as many of you as possible can lay hands on ones as it should be quite a night.

Cheers!!!!

Well Davie I just can't understand after all your explaining why people are still questioning the decisions made on this. You just can't please people sometimes.

ps. Could the mod who edited my earlier comment pm me to explain why. I've actually forgotten what I typed, thanks!

Cheers