Jump to content

Which estate agent for buying a property? Costs?


Recommended Posts

which estate agent/solicitor can anybody recommend?

I am looking for a reliable solicitor who can give good advice and can be trusted. Because I am not so familiar with the present Scottish laws and many things would have to be arranged from a distance it's important that the solicitor is abolutely trustworthy.


Is it necessary to have a Shetland solicitor? Any disadvantages if I'd rather deal with my former solicitor who is on the Western Isles?


How about the costs? Does it depend on what is to do or only on the value/price of the property? What legal fees are usually involved?

Does anybody know whether it's possible to make an offer for a house with a fixed price which includes all fees and all costs (seller and buyer) to avoid unpleasant surprises afterwards?


How complicated is it if the sale of the property includes a tenanted croft (apart from getting the consent of the Crofters Commission)? If there were the chance of buying the croft directly of the landlord and the property itself of the buyer does this complicate things even more?

Reason is that I am not so happy about buying tenancy rights. I'd rather own a croft than only rent it.


Has anybody made any personal experiences?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Using a solicitor from the Western Isles is better than using one from the Central Belt of Scotland, as they will be aware of the nuances of crofting law. There is some guidance on house buying in Shetland with a list of local solictors on this page.




My advice about Central Belt solicitors does not apply to Inksters, in spite of them being based in Glasgow. Their principal solicitor is a Shetlander and they do a lot of work in Shetland

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The tenancy is the important thing to have, the ownership is irrelevant.


I am used to the contrary (in Germany). Tenancy gives you some rights, but the owner definitely has more. So usually everything the tenant builds on the land will afterwards belong to the owner, no matter whether it's an exceptional and expensive fence or an animal shelter. Owners are quite happy to rent out poor soil and get back improved land (with a higher value) after the rent period.

The owner can choose some other tenant (without the need to have a reasonable cause, it is sufficient if he doesn't like your nose) and after having received a notice you only have two more years for the land use.

I am rather lucky myself because I have written the tenancy agreement for our rented land myself which means, shelters as well as fences do belong to me and for the landlord to give notice within a 10year period is excluded (unless I would "spoil" the land).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

have a look on the crofters commision site.

your much better off being a tenant than an owner occupier. your friend on the western isles will probably be the best. the ones on shetland all know each other. solictor cost were a lot compared to what we paid in england. you can get a fixed price on the sale if you can speak to the owner. you can get an idea of what your going to pay but it can go up depending how it goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...