Royal Wedding Holiday?

Longdog

Should Shetland have a day off for the royal wedding like the rest of the UK?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shetland have a day off for the royal wedding like the rest of the UK?

• Yes, I want to watch the wedding
    • No
    • Yes, but I'm not interested in it

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally can't take a days leave, teachers can't, no unpaid leave either.

Seems the rest of the country can manage it?

So SIC, why waste money for people to recover from UHA hangovers? Surely that's crazy? Promoting binge drinking by allowing a day off LOL! But money wasting an SIC is another very long thread :lol:

BTW I'm no Royalist, the whole country is skint not just SIC.

Guest posiedon

Nobody should be getting a day off, the bloody country has gone mad!

Why don't they get married on a Saturday?

Longdog

Seems everywhere but Shetland has a public holiday for the Royal Wedding,

From today's Scotsman.

A SECOND Scottish local authority has decided against giving staff a holiday on the day of the royal wedding.

Highland Council has joined North Ayrshire in refusing to sanction an additional day off to celebrate the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton on 29 April.

Cost £468,000.00. For one public holiday! Well done S.I.C. we cannot afford it.

Cannot though for the life me understand why in Orkney it is only costing them in the tens of thousands.

Why such a difference in cost? How many more people do the S.I.C. employ than Orkney - or has someone got their sums wrong!

I agree that for once the SIC has made the correct decision. I couldn't care less about the royal wedding and I can't see why in a time of such painful cuts ANY local authority would waste large sums of money on such a frivoulous public holiday.

If it is so important for their 'royal subjects' to view and celebrate their wedding then, as has been said in this thread already, why not have it at the weekend? Thats what most normal people have to do!

So SIC, why waste money for people to recover from UHA hangovers? Surely that's crazy? Promoting binge drinking by allowing a day off LOL! But money wasting an SIC is another very long thread :lol:

1) Teachers can't, but I am sure the school can organise their timetables to have the entire school watching the wedding, should they so wish.

2) 'The rest of the country' - thats a very broad generalisation, and one that isn't true. Many employers are not giving this public holiday to their staff, and they are perfectly entitled to do so.

3) 'promoting binge drinking' - thats a stretch. Up Helly Aa is a long festival, that goes on all night. There are plenty that drink, and there are always a few that fall by the wayside, but actually I find Lerwick Up Helly Aa to be less about 'bingle drinking' than a normal Friday or Saturday night, because people have to last. It would be shameful not to allow a day off for what is one of Shetland's top attractions. Surely you wouldn't expect people to go and go a good day's work after leaving the hall at 8am??

Up Helly Aa brings money to the islands, it is certainly not a 'waste of money'.

If you, as you claim, are not a royalist then why are you so keen to have the day off anyway?? It sounds like you just want a skive....

yeh a skive sounds good to me 8) I'm quite happy to have a day off along with many others.

As for UHA that was a bit of a tongue in cheek example. However, how many people go to the halls, does that justify the SIC costs for one days holiday?

Just interested in what people think...

I almost fainted when I saw the Shetland News last night and saw that the SIC had seen sense and voted for no holiday!.

As for this piffle(sorry!) about "the rest of the country/other parts of the country" the truth is this wedding and "other parts of the country" have as much relevance to Shetland as what a fish has to a sandy desert.

I wish there was more common sense like this and it's fantastic to see Shetland going it's own way for once!.

:)

Why don't you start praying for a flake of snow the night before the wedding then. As a teacher, that is sure to get you a day off work (again).

I almost fainted when I saw the Shetland News last night and saw that the SIC had seen sense and voted for no holiday!.

As for this piffle(sorry!) about "the rest of the country/other parts of the country" the truth is this wedding and "other parts of the country" have as much relevance to Shetland as what a fish has to a sandy desert.

I wish there was more common sense like this and it's fantastic to see Shetland going it's own way for once!.

:)

yea, whitna wedding ???? :lol:

As for UHA that was a bit of a tongue in cheek example....

Oh that Friday is also Shetland Folk Festival, a bigger draw than UHA???

Is that also tongue in cheek? Ever been to Up Helly Aa? The Folk Festival late night revelling is indeed quite well known, but it is a comparatively small number of die-hards who partake in the seriously lengthy sessions. The vast majority of those attending the concerts do not stay up all night. With UHA there are many more halls, and many, many more people up till breakfast on Wednesday.