ponies needing planning

In their defence I should say our fence had not been switched on at the time I first noticed the jumper cables, battery & flashing lights on the other fence. But the cable was in place on the garden fence, the battery was there and it was only the jumpers needing hooked up. It would have been, if I hadn't put a stop to it, and we would never have been told about it being there or being on. As I said, even after speaking to him, the other party seemed quite amused, as if he couldn't see what the problem was. He offered to screw rods or eyelets into the fenceposts, which would push the cable out an inch or two more, but that was it. He said it was to protect the fence he was doing it!!

There is nothing in our garden bordering the fence but grass, so it wasn't to protect the animals from harm, either.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean ours/theirs? In the deeds it places a responsibility on me to maintain each of the boundary fences, including that section of stock fence, measured to the inch. That was a condition of sale if the original plot, back in the '30s. I don't know for sure if that makes it mine or not, but I'd guess it does. Unless this is a common thing up here?

Schafknotengitter is a real pain to manouvre

it's also a real danger to everyone and also the animals, same applies to barbed wire, to nets... too often we (I am a member of the local animal welfare organization) had to risk our life to help other farmers to free panicking animals which got entangled in those fences. It's not fun to free a 1,000kg bull in panic.

Finally it's an offence (at least in some federal states in Germany) to use those fences for horses, still allowed for other cattel though.

I wish they were banned everywhere.

They get rusty, nobody cares to maintain them and to remove the bits and pieces, they are not only dangerous, but also offer an unpleasant sight.

Was just thinking today: also we have one of our smaller paddocks beside our neighbours garden. It's his fence but he didn't bother to maintain it. So before we have built this paddock I asked him whether it would be okay, if I was to repair the fence (at my own costs) and replace the Knotengitter by an electric fence with 2 lines. That saved me an inner fence which would have limited the paddock to a very small area. He agreed, the fence is there now for a period of almost ten years, I maintain it and we are both happy with it. He knows where the switch is when he wants to harvest "our" apple tree which grows right on the border (we share the fruits because none of us knows who's the owner of the tree).

On the side to the other neighbour we agreed on removing the fence between us completely to let his and my chicken roam together freely.

The result is two very nice chicks of one of our hens and his cock

:wink:

The Schafknotengitter I was referring to is the moveable, pliable type which easily hooks up to an electric batterie. Graze the sheep/ cattle for 2 days and move the fence on to the next section of fresh grazing. Each "post" has metal hooks at the bottom which you push into the ground. Quite quick and easy to re-erect in a new location (provided it's soft ground). but you do get your feet caught in it easily and so do the horns of sheep......absolute nuisance.

I am afraid the solid and galvanised version of Schafknottengitter which you refer to is what you will be encountering here almost everywhere. Sorry to have to tell you this. I get the feeling you will be doing a heck of a lot of fencing when you get here....and a lot of cursing. Do you have many good curses in Bavaria, apart from "Mein Gott im Himmel!"? I am from Norddeutschland myself, so am not familiar with bavarian niceties. :wink: When you do finally move, make sure you bring with you a generous supply of essentials for bartering: Schinken und Schnaps. Your new neighbours will love you and be putty in your hands.

I get the feeling you will be doing a heck of a lot of fencing when you get here....

as Sybil Fawlty would say: oh I know

Do you have many good curses in Bavaria, apart from "Mein Gott im Himmel!"?

Never heard that one before... but be assured there are some typical Bavarian swearwords (which I don't really dare to write in a public forum).

Where exactly are you from? Und wie hat's dich nach Shetland verschlagen?