Coming to Shetland by plane

Orsa

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Aboot da Ness dey bettir aks fur a buith, aksin fur a boad dey'll gyt a brawly blank luik.

[Edit] Bøith micht be da wye hit shud be spelld, hit wid rime wi da Ingleesh "clothe" onywye. [/Edit]

Ax fur dat wir waye an dey wid get a cuddle! Or a slap, dependin...

Yes, they are Orsa, probably my fault for mentioning the böd pronunciation. Shetland dialect has a wide variety of pronunciation in different parts of the isles. :wink:

interesting. that means richness of culture.

i think 20 days wouldn't be enough and i'll have to come back :)

i think 20 days wouldn't be enough and i'll have to come back :)

Ciao Orsa

sei giorni sull'isola di Fetlar e sto comprando una casa... se tutto va bene probabilmente mi trasferisco da Monaco a Fetlar prossimo anno

what a pity that you suffer from seasickness. When I was up last October I flew from Munich to Amsterdam and from there to Aberdeen and took the ferry to Lerwick, which was the cheapest way. I tend to seasickness too but if it get's too rough you can always lie down and then usually you feel better.

Apart from KLM's (the Dutch airline) bad service it was a pleasant journey.

I can only recommend to hire a car not to be dependant on bus timetables.

You will see more great places and driving is much more relaxed (and slower!) than in Italy.

Enjoy your trip!

^^ Aboot da Ness dey bettir aks fur a buith, aksin fur a boad dey'll gyt a brawly blank luik.

[Edit] Bøith micht be da wye hit shud be spelld, hit wid rime wi da Ingleesh "clothe" onywye. [/Edit]

Ax fur dat wir waye an dey wid get a cuddle! Or a slap, dependin...

Is dat no ey da wye, whitivver you aks fur. :? :wink:

^^ I appreciate that. Posting in Shetland was somewhat intentional on two counts, one it was Shetland terminology that was being discussed, and two, the discussion was likely to do more to further confuse a non-native than enlighten them. So, to me at least, it seemed "better" to post using a language they were more likely to just glance at, realise they didn't understand. and move on, than something they would only understand 90% of, especially when the remaining 10% was the most relevant parts of the exchange.

As usual on Shetlink a post decends into a Shetland dialect competition, It's off subject and i'm sure confusing for the individual who originally started the thread.

If you asked where a bod or a boad is then i'm sure anyone in Shetland would know what your talking about and be able to point you in the right direction.

:)