Shetland Football- Last 5 Years.....

Dusty Rhodes

Have the changes in Shetland Football in the last 5 years been good or bad?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Have the changes in Shetland Football in the last 5 years been good or bad?

• GOOD
    • BAD

is the rule not that county players from the year before can not play in the Bs unless retired from county games...... because Neil Laurenson played Bs most of last year and Brian Irvine came off the bench for Whalsay B when they were 5-0 up against Unst ( i think he played county last year)

There for Erik for example could play for Unst this year if he wanted because he didnt play any county football last year and he is only home at the end of june this year which would surely be to late for county squad???

Then Unst could have Neil laurenson as our one county player and Erik would just be regarded as a B player.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not unless Unst get a meeting conveined to change the rules agreed at the AGM and then get support to carry their proposal. The rules regarding playing for two clubs in the same association is not something we changed to hinder Unst and Yell to be competative in the league, they were changed at a national level.

Out of interest if Neil and Erik choose not to play B football this year for Unst what size of a squad do you think Unst will have this season?

neil didna play dat many games for unst in the B's last season.

only about 3-4 then joined thistle.

unst shouldna moan coz they hav not had anybody at the last 2 SFA meeting's.

even the big meeting to try an sort oot members so there could be a fitba season this season.

First of all i would like to point out that what i am saying is my opinion and not that of Unst FC or Yell Fc.

When i said that about Erik and Neil it meant that the same rules applied as now and that they would only play Bs and not As. But it was only an idea. i am pretty sure neither will be playing for Unst this year. Neil will most likely play for Thistle again and i am sure Whalsay will want Erik back once he returns from the land down under.

and Penfold the unst squad this year as far as i can tell will not be any different to last year. but if we had Erik and Neil playing the quality would be increased alot.

As far as i know, Unst have neither ex[pected or asked either of the players named above to play for them. And as far as I personally am concerned they should not be playing B league football- they are both too good and should be playing A's and only A's.

Although IF they decided that they wanted to represent Unst this season , we would not stop them, but that is something for them to decide/ evaluate all the options.

Penfold Unsts squad is almost exactly the same, so another tough season ahead, but we need to get on with it and enjoy it!

I would say that I agree with some of the comments made above, the A league should be for A league quality players and I see little point in these players playing B's- but this is upto the individual clubs and I understand that.

There has been a lot of good points made here. The one thing I do not understand is why would the top players in shetland that are playing regular A football want to play in the reserves? For that reason I do feel sorry for Yell, Unst and Mossbank who are trying to promote football all over Shetland at what ever level they can.

Im not so sure in every club its the A players that want to play in the reserves, in our club we tried where possible to start the 5 subs on the bench from mondays A game in the reserve team. To make sure those players were getting regular football and making sure that they were not so far off the pace if they were needed to replace someone in the starting 11 in the A's.

We have also had requests from the A managers to try a player in a new position in the reserves before they try them in that position in the A squad, or when we have a big intake of players from our 18's that can benefit from playin alongside an experienced player in their particular area of the pitch eg midfield or defence, better to try that in your reserve team than the other way around. And finally on those occasions that we have been struggling to get a team in the reserve league due to the various reasons that affect the reserve squads of the larger clubs, we have used our 3 named A's to get a team out, but only after getting a list of players that we could use from the A managers and even then not everyone asked wanted to play B football.

Thats why I feel that some of the posts on the issue were missing the point, due to the way Shetland football is structured just now there are three teams playing in a league for reserve teams and not what some folk think it isnt a second divsion its a compromise set-up to allow us to keep these teams playing and in our association and if they develope and grow move up to the higher level, and if they struggle and find they are on the downward slope then have time to consolodate and re-build.

what a question!

i would say its worse now but not by much, i personally think certian teams abuse the b's but as was said before without the 3-a player rule alot of teams would struggle to even field a team. as for whats being said for unst and yell i think it could have been solved by a northen rovers merger i remeber playing at junior level and the combo of yell and unst players worked well they were the best team in the leauge followed by delting, but i think from what i heard certian people couldnt put there diffrences aside which is a pitty because those players with a couple of old hands would have been a very good side. as for burra i think they were treated very badly by the sfa by not being allowed to play b's after being wipping boys in the a's and still dont understand why when yell and unst went down the the b's burra were not allowed to do so the season before just seems a of a double standard

as for burra i think they were treated very badly by the sfa by not being allowed to play b's after being wipping boys in the a's and still dont understand why when yell and unst went down the the b's burra were not allowed to do so the season before just seems a of a double standard

Here here. I heard today that Burra may not have a team this year. If this is true I'm sure they would still be playing had they been in the Reserve league.

I think over the last five years , its been good for shetland football. The league's ranging from A's to Works have all improved imo. I think that the influx of young players in some teams such as Celtic is encouraging.

However i do agree that teams such as Unst, Yell and Mossbank will struggle in the B's this year. They will struggle due to not being able to field A players.

With Burra i have to agree with the previous post about double standards. However it wasn't all bad; they did get some success in the works league, however if they do keep their team together them alongside Cosmos could follow Mossbank's lead and step up and make the B's more competitive aswell.

It was hardly double standards folks, it was the fact that it took three AGM's to reach the point where the rules on entry are today where a club with one team can play in the reserve league and if you win the league you have to step up to the premier league, the year before Burra werre forced to choose between staying in the SFA or leaving to go to the works league the rule was that if you only had one team in your club you had to play in the premier league.

A rule which some clubs thought was short sighted and tried to change but took longer than they would have liked buts democracy for you it doesn't suit every situation. Its never nice to see a team fold or leave your association and especially in the circumstances that Burra had to. Given the feeling in the Burra team over how they felt they were treated I would think it will be a long time before they felt they wanted to compete in the SFA again, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I wouldnt say it had anything to do with the league set up. It was more just to point out an area of shetland football that has definately became poorer. This is not necessarily to do with the standard of players either. Its most probably to do with the lack of a long term committed manager. Maybe this is the SFAs fault? I don't know as I don't know the circumstances of the comings and going of the past managers? did any get sacked?

But i do feel that Shetland should really have been pushing on after 2005 and trying to challenge themselfs to more regular compititions. Maybe some cups on the mainland or something. Once again I don't kow if this was thought about because it may well have been and proven undoable.

There is also the point that football in shetland is a hobby, and therefore it is a major commitment to everyone involved, players, managers, comitee members, refs etc. and none of these get the credit they deserve.

And therefore sometimes other commitment have to take priority like work, family etc.

regarding b league players as discussed above, the point that made unst in particular quite disappointed in the system was when we played whalsay at baltasound and were 5-1 down after 65 mins, whalsay put on an intercounty player up front who then went on to score a hattrick and help them beat us 11-1.

Really felt like they were taking the p***!