Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't a joke. Koi are carp. It was a reference to their involvement in the crisis. Their fish died. In the context of 10,000+ human fatalities, I can understand why those who lost only fish were in a position to accept the previous jokes.

Whilst the person lost only carp, perhaps I should have mentioned that the carp supplement his income. His partner can't work at the moment as she can no longer commute to the factory which is temporarily closed atm and she is only getting part wages (Some are getting none). They are still concerned about food supplies and don't trust their Government. They have also lost distant relatives.

It was announced that one of the nuclear reactors has now officially gone into meltdown (You can get details from the Japanese TV channel on FreeSat) and another reactor elsewhere in Japan has been ordered to be shut down due to its location (fault line/earthquake zone - is anywhere in Japan not in an earthquake zone?). There are still power cuts but they are trying to rebuild their lives.

Personally, I hate the fact that our news tends to be concentrating on war zones and we hear so little about what happens in the rest of the world.

• 1 month later...

ShetlandPeat I see absolutely no reason for not offering to help and I can't believe anybody would think otherwise. I think the issue is the offering of money, it's relatively miniscule to the coffers than Japan has at its own disposal.

But each person is entitled to their own methods of offering help and money is one of them.

It's nice to see that 99.9% of people care about others that we have and never will see.

If a large scale disaster hits any country, the infrastructure tends to fail, money or cards will not work the same way and sometimes transport links can break. I would think the initial help would be ensure folk get some food, water and shelter. Once that is established then, if the GOV of that country established links again then that is the end of the good deed.

I do not know how much Japan has in the bank to spend. Sometimes countries would need to move things around to release that capitol.

I do agree that it is nice that folk are willing to help folk they have never met or will see. Far better than just praying.

• 2 years later...

Well of course its better to try and contain it.

I just thought mother russia with it huge wealth of natural resources would pay to clean up its own mess .

But never mind the day will come where there is no where to hide.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Current-and-Future-Generation/Plans-For-New-Reactors-Worldwide/