New Sullom Voe tugs

gricylipper

• 8 months later...
Wonder how much this is going to costs us?

Ferries ? Why not let Edinburgh take on the Tugs ?

We can then debate which organisation has the most inept folk in charge.

Meanwhile costs ? Well of course the new tugs were to save money, which one year on is clearly not happening.

Then one year of ongoing problems, most purchasers would already be knee deep in lawyers paperwork to get a resolution or their money back.

No mention of this makes me think SIC got what they asked for and the Ship Yard will be saying it is not their problem if it is not suitable?

I can't find any public information on who the naval architect is and if an independent body was employed to supervise the building and commissioning.

No matter who is to blame, as that has not been established yet, no one was hurt, that is the main thing.

I am looking forward to full implementation of Community Involvement, they could hold the voter to blame. I guess though, not because it was mentioned here that there has already been dialogue with the manufacturers agents.

I fear this is exactly what the shipyard are saying i.e we gave you what you asked us to build and what you paid for.....

I would also imagine(give the way of things now) that the Sella Ness management bouldered on in the design etc of the new tugs without involving the existing very experienced tug crews who probably could have given them some invaluable advice and direction which in turn could well have helped avoid this dreadful situation.

I have heard that a suggestion has been made to just sell them.....

I seem to recall that the problems with the previous tugs concerned them not achieving the required bollard pull.

Rumour has it that the problems with the current new tugs concerns handling and reliability, which is a much more serious problem for those who crew them.

When supposed to be going in a straight line the tugs are crabbing like a yacht making leeway, and what is worse this crabbing can flop from one side to the other.

When on the bow line the last thing wanted is a loss of control or a blackout, which can easily result in the loss of tug and more importantly the crew.

It appears that luckily in this case the tug was close under the bow and about to let go the line at the time the problem occurred.

Sella Ness have already gone on record stating that there is nothing wrong with the tugs so it would be rather optimistic to expect the yard to accept a change of hart now and meet any costs.

I also hear that Sella Ness have decided that the bulbous bow is the problem although others feel the skeg is a more likely option.

Roger Moore has stated that there is no evidence of mechanical failure, is he splitting hairs and differentiating mechanical from electronic, or implying that the crew were at fault?