Shetland News Website

mitzy

Did Shetland News just take over Shetlink, or did Shetlink just take over Shetland News, or are Shetland News just been a tad cheeky, seeing as they had next to no Classifieds of their own last I checked. :ponders:

No, no, could be.

As far as I'm aware there has been no new arrangements made between the two sites.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not had any emails either. Thought I'd maybe have to signup again, but can't see anywhere on the site to do so.

The whole thing seems to have been handled badly.

After years and years of the Shetland Times having an absolute awful internet presence, recently they have started becoming my first choice for news in Shetland.

There is obviously much I could say, but do not wish to say.

However, given that everyone knows of my long-term IT/Web-design involvement with the online Shetland News, and in the interests of defending my own professional integrity and standards I feel I need to say this:

The move to the new website, the state of the old one's front page, and any other issues the operators now have, are nothing whatsoever to do with me, and are not my responsibility in any way.

I knew nothing about the move to the new website until after it happened. I have never been involved, in any way, at any time, with the new website.

I am contracted to provide some existing web-hosting and email-hosting services until midnight on 31st March. By the way, I have just checked through my server admin panel and the newsletter system is completely intact (with 1047 subscribers listed) and could still be used to send out a newsletter if anyone wished to do so. I have done nothing to disable, or restrict, any of the systems or facilities previously provided on my server.

I will be publishing a full statement on 1st April.

Thank you again for your patience - it is appreciated that you are not bombarding me with questions at this stage.

I think the new website is a great improvement, it looks like a professional webdesigner had a hand in it, i.e. it doesn't look like something from the 1990s anymore. Plus it seems quicker to load up. Too bad about the classic style logo, though, like someone else said.

I think they should have just redirected the old page to the new address, but there's probably some reason that wasn't possible.

^^ Call a copyright lawyer, there's too many variables with that masthead to even start taking guesses. The author's life plus 70 years is generally a benchmark to work from, but with something that was published continously from 1885 to 1963, do you count from the first or last publishing, and who for that matter is considered the "author" of something like a masthead.

Worst case scenario, it ran out in the later 1950's, best case scenario, T.M.Y. Manson died in 1996, plus 70 years = 2066.

That is of course, if it being published on the web by a different owner/publisher didn't restart the copyright clock again. The most recent (blue coloured) masthead used by Shetland News, the website, while very similar to the masthead used by Shetland News, the hardcopy newspaper, isn't exactly the same. The graphics below the banner are different, the bird has been added to the left side, as has the "Great is the truth and it will prevail line". In which case its something like 50 years from first publishing = 2045.

Newspaper masthead: http://www.shetland-museum.org.uk/archiveCollections/microfilm/images/microfilm_03.jpg

Website blue ink masthead: http://shetlopedia.com/images/e/eb/The_Shetland_News_Logo_-_Colour.jpg