Having a shower in a Northlink cabin...

daveh

I was on the ferry back to Lerwick yesterday and had a shower in my cabin yesterday morning. When I went to step out of the shower, the floor was totally flooded in the "bathroom" with my slippers and the shower mat floating about. When I went to report the problem, I was told that this is a very common problem on the ferry as there are two small holes in the metal barrier, at the base of the unit, that lets water out. The person, to whom I was reporting it to, said that he had the same problem with the shower he was using. When I asked why can't the two holes be blocked, he shrugged his shoulders and gave no reply.
Very strange. Anyone else noticed this problem when showering on the ferry?

why does anyone use the thing!

No option if you are going away with a vehicle (often loaded with kids and their toys, books, drawing stuff, clothes, more clothes, extra clothes... ..... and all the other luggage), or can't travel on the plane due to health reasons, for instance.

Yup. Although it's never bothered me.

It's a boat, and it's likely to move, so I've never put anything on the floor in the bathroom while I shower anyway - it's only a low barrier and I figure it wouldn't be hard for the water to run over it. So I pop everything on the loo first. It's not me who has to clean the cabins and the towels & mats will all go for washing the next morning anyway, so I can live with it.

Just make sure you pop your shoes on if you need to nip back in to go to the loo afterwards!

It wasn't a case of the water coming over the top of the barrier. It flowed through the two holes; one at each end of the barrier for no apparent reason as the only drain is in the shower itself.

That apart, I have no problems with the ferry itself and the reservations staff are always helpful and friendly.

Is the toilets in the cabins not basically a 'wet' room?

Leave your smucks and y-fronts ootside the door and put them on when you get out the bathroom. Thats what I do, its not like anyone is going to see you.

If you happen to be sharing with people you don't know and dunna want dim tae see da crack o yer muckle sphincter or your pilly(if male) den stick your clothes in the sink until finished.

Cheers

Guest CyprusPluto

I've used the ferry a few times because of taking my car with me and found them to be perfectly adequate. In fact I'd say good. Always get a good nights sleep and that's all I'm after.

The point is perhaps best illustrated on a really rough crossing. There's no way you can keep all the water inside that tiny rail, and because of that the two little holes are more likely there to let water back in, than to let it out.

I've had showers on the boat before when it has been rough and ended up with about four inches of water sloshing around the floor due to long rolls. They should perhaps warn people that it is effectively a wet room. Once you're aware of it, it's not a problem.

It's when it starts escaping into the cabin that you know something has gone awry. :wink:

I've had at least one coorse night where, after a particularly loud crash, I spent the rest of the night leaning out of my bunk periodically and feeling the floor for salt water, right enough. :wink:

Good heavens Njugle :!:

Were you old enough. To have been on the Earl of Zetland steaming through Yell Sound :?:

Spot the Njugle. vvv

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/250/800pxflitboat2.jpg

From Shetlopedia. Thanks guys.

Some ports of call had no pier, so the goods and passengers were transferred using 'Flitboats' from shore to 'Earl'.