New Milk Cartons

I like the new cartons but I hate the pull tabs, I find it hard enough, I don't know how someone elderly or with arthritic or weak hands manage!

I have arthritis and find it bloody hard to get the new type tabs off the milk cartons. I don't think they have thought things through properly (especially in the cas of elderly or disabled people). :(

Me to Malcom just dont buy Shetland milk anymore

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the purple sacks you get for kerbside recycling. If this is not available in your area you can collect bags from the Gremista dump and return them there.

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/waste/WAA/Kerbside.asp

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/waste/WCD/GWMF.asp

I think I'll just save a gallon of petrol and leave them in the black bag for the essy-cart - that's what I pay rates for. It is up to the dairy to use environmentally friendly containers.

Guest Anonymous
If you take into account the amount of milk lost through leakage and the amount of chemical detergent that has to be used by law to clean up said spills not just at the dairy but at all the shops, you can be fairly sure that these new cartons are much better for the environment.

Glass is better still

http://www.recyclingexpert.co.uk/why-more-environmentally-friendly-use-glass-milk-bottles.html

I agree but the glass bottles used for milk are not sturdy enough for the normal grocery shopping that most folk do, so it would be back to the milkman delivering to each and every house and that is not viable in Shetland

Bobdahog wrote

I agree but the glass bottles used for milk are not sturdy enough for the normal grocery shopping that most folk do, so it would be back to the milkman delivering to each and every house and that is not viable in Shetland
There was a time when it was viable for dairies throughout the Highlands and Islands to deliver milk in plastic bags so home deliveries are not impossible for most, although I agree perhaps not all, of households in Shetland.

But if plastic bottles are here to stay then perhaps the SIC should set up plastic recycling bins alongside the bottle banks throughout Shetland. And if that is not affordable in the light of current cut backs then perhaps the Scottish, Westminster or European governments should assist with finance for such recycling bins.

We send all our plastic to a processor who then ships it to China, then you buy it back. I was told this was about 200 pounds a skip full, but it could be more.

The council here collect plastics but only recycle a small amount, the rest, who knows, landfill?

Water bottles are good but the lids are not, we have to seperate them or the whole lot gets binned.

It maybe why recycling plastic may not be top of the agenda.

I was told by an 'insider' that the old cartons were being replaced with plastic bottles as the old carton machine was very old and tempermental so they were having to do away with it.

I'm a young person with no problems with my hands but i too find the plastic seal hard to get off so can't imagine how older people/people with problems with their hands manage.

I have also found that milk seems to lie in the cracks under the lid after pouring which turns crusty and sour and is likely to fall off into my cereal or whatever i'm pouring the milk into...anyone else noticed this?

I don't like to be a moan but i really do hate these new bottles! The picture on them is wishy washy too and doesn't stand out at all, it's not even very easy to see that it is Shetland milk due to the small white lettering on the side.

I found that the best way to open them was to ensure that the line on the top is horizontal and then to pull from the right-hand side of it to the left. If the likkle annoying piece of plastic don't budge, then I resort to using my scissors and punching two holes in it, opposite each other!

I have also found that milk seems to lie in the cracks under the lid after pouring which turns crusty and sour and is likely to fall off into my cereal or whatever i'm pouring the milk into...anyone else noticed this?

Buy a milk jug to decant the whole thing into?

I've found that pulling along the line of the tab is better, and if it won't budge from one direction, turn the container around and pull from the other direction. Sometimes it's a really tight seal, other times it comes off easily.

(BTW, I always hated the cartons. The bags and the little orange jugs were much better, IMHO.) :wink:

Anybody found the milk is not keeping so long now in the new containers?

The milk is going off days before the use by date. I have twice this week had to dump sour milk down the sink which was still in date by two days. Plus the crusty lid is realy annoying, as the bits fall in your cup!

Date on carton 9th April, state of milk, off, yep I agree with the rest of you it's not lasting at all.

As for the seals, need a knife to get to the milk, I cannot get them off!! Just told OH not to buy anymore, back to supermarket milk for me sorry.