EST Contractor

Njugle

The Energy Savings Trust contacted me a while back and arranged a date for a contractor to come and visit the house with a view to fitting additional loft insulation. I waited in all afternoon on the day stipulated. Another family member nearby had a similar booking to arrange cavity wall insulation and, as agreed, waited in all morning the same day. The contractor didn't show up for either appointment.

Anybody had the contractor along, or know what came of them, before I call the EST and go "Victor Meldrew" on them? :wink:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is their work of a good quality when they do turn up?

We have agreed for them to make a small door into the eves in order to put some insulation where there is none at present. If they are botched-job merchants, I could easily be put off as I wasn't sure about this in the first place.

Guest Anonymous

going by the number of insulation staff that have been up in court for violence and dishonesty I wouldn't let them through the door.

Surely any company that is putting workers into folks homes has a duty to make sure those folk are suitable, especially as a lot of the folk that are eligible for the free work are the most vulnerable, ie pensioners.

They should have a CRB check, but I think the GOV want to do away with some aspects of it to cut red tape.

Though having a CRB check does not automatically bar you from the work, it is still up to the company. If you are with another work mate of sound character.

How many have been up in court for such offenses and where can we find out about them?

going by the number of insulation staff that have been up in court for violence and dishonesty I wouldn't let them through the door.

Surely any company that is putting workers into folks homes has a duty to make sure those folk are suitable, especially as a lot of the folk that are eligible for the free work are the most vulnerable, ie pensioners.

Naughty. implying that the majority of fitters are criminals is unexceptable.

If these people have contact with vunerable adults then they would be checked. If they have convictions for dishonesty they would be either sacked or not employed.

^^ True, but the Shetland News Archive apparently having vanished is potentially skewing the evidence. Maybe that one guy has gotten a mention an awful number of times, but for the number of times someone described as an "insulation engineer" has been in court, I would suspect he's not the only one.

Shetland News are in the habit of publishing more comprehensive Court reports than the Times, but with their Archive gone, or at least publically inaccessible, whatever the Times chose to report is all we got.