The 2011 Scottish Parliamentary Elections.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly grim interview in the Sunday Herald with Tavish. In Edinburgh he is apparently known as the "Great Sulk" and he stomped out of the interview muttering " why do I have to put up with this crap" This is hardly the image he promotes in Shetland!

As if anyone went in to politics, to benefit the public clanchief. Sulk is the very word.

justme

I saw a Labour poster today. Not on the Esplanade but in a car window. Now I applaud whoever cut down the signs as I think they look terrible. Come on Labour.

There's one attached (with cable ties) to the lamppost opposite our house in Aith, I'm going to cut it down later. :evil:

Well, if the poster outside the charity shop in Aith vanishes, then the police will know exactly where to look. It seems surprising the number of people who condone criminal behaviour. I wonder if those individuals would feel the same should someone steal their belongings?

^^ :lol:

Good point above regarding the posters though. Anyone cutting them down would need to make sure to lay them on the verge safely out of the way and so they don't blow away.

Also on that point, from environmentlaw.org ;

Fly-posting is displaying adverts and other promotional materials without permission, on buildings, posts, poles, litter bins and elsewhere in public. Fly-posting is done by businesses who want free advertising as well as community groups and other artistic or local community events.

Fly- posting without a permit is illegal under the Highway Act 1980, the Town & Country Planning Act 1990, the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 and the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005. It makes an area messy and untidy. Most local councils have a zero tolerance policy on fly- posting.

Legal measures to prevent fly-posting include:

On-the-spot fines of up to £80

Use of fixed penalty notices

Prosecution in a magistrates’ court

Use of Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs)

Charging the offender for the cost of removing the posters

Relevant Legislation:

The Highway Act 1980

The Town and Country Planning Act 1990

The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003

The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005

So, if anyone sees any more of these posters the best option would be to contact the police, or the SIC, who have a number for reporting Fly-Posting HERE

I'm no expert, but I think that the display of election posters is permitted providing they follow certain guidelines. Different local authorities over Scotland have different policies, and I think there are some areas that don't allow their display on Council owned property. As far as I'm aware, the party who displayed the poster has the responsibility for taking it down, but I don't know who would enforce that in practice!

Why remove them unless they are causing a public nuisance or safety hazard? I don't particularly care for them one way or the other, but I have no problem with people wishing to advertise - whatever it may be!

• 2 weeks later...

Given that it's pretty certain now that there will be a referendum on independance. What would happen if there was a 'No' result?

Would the SNP dissolve into oblivion as they will have the answer that their flagship policy is not gonna happen?

Given that it's pretty certain now that there will be a referendum on independance. What would happen if there was a 'No' result?

Would the SNP dissolve into oblivion as they will have the answer that their flagship policy is not gonna happen?

I do hope so

Well, I hope the next batch of SIC councillors show some gumption and also make plans for Shetland in light of the pledged Scottish Independance referendum.

We need to have our own debate and referendum on what we are going to do should we be left facing an independant Scotland.

Nope. because there will be a Yes vote.

And if there is a third option for Full Fiscal Autonomy (i.e. all all taxes and spending controlled by the Scottish Parliament, with an agreed sum paid to Westminster each year for common services - chiefly defense, my guess is that that would be a winner.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8513/independence.jpg

Curious little poll for anyone who doesn't use Facebook. Obviously, people will argue that a] Facebook is for "bairns" and b] anyone from anywhere can answer this poll.

Regardless, this is what Facebook's poll says. The No vote sits around 14,000.

Curious little poll for anyone who doesn't use Facebook. Obviously, people will argue that a] Facebook is for "bairns" and b] anyone from anywhere can answer this poll.

Regardless, this is what Facebook's poll says. The No vote sits around 14,000.

Don't understand why you would think it was curious. Everyone on my page has voted No on it - even Salmond realises that huge numbers of those who voted SNP are not remotely interested in independence. On the other hand, several of my English friends think the Westminster govt should push for the independence referendum to take place asap instead of right at the end of the term as Salmond plans - so they can stop paying us the Barnett formula.

On what planet is Fb for bairns?