What to do in this weather?

daveh

We have a couple coming to stay with us, for a week, in just 11 days time. It is their first visit to Shetland and will probably be their last if this awful weather is around during their week here.

Apart from visiting the Museum for a couple of hours, the Bonhoga gallery for an hour and perhaps Quendale mill for another hour, I am running out of ideas. We have several evening options in mind but not many for during the day.

We warned them that the weather would probably not be in their favour in April but they still wanted to come. What suggestions do others have for things to do in the daytime, for a week, at this time of the year?

^^

We already have a 1,000-piece jigsaw here if necessary. A long way for them to come, from London, to do that, though.

I will make a note of the wildlife trips. My wife wouldn't go if the weather isn't calm and it wouldn't be too great in the rain and or/mist we have seen this week.

Keep the ideas coming please!

Pop into the tourist office at Market Cross and pick up one of each area leaflet. Send them to them and suggest they look through them for things they might like to do (with a suggestion they take the weather at that time of year into account), it worked well for our April visitors for the last couple of years.

There is just enough time to do this if you get the leaflets this weekend.

Hope this helps.

Mal.

I will make a note of the wildlife trips. My wife wouldn't go if the weather isn't calm and it wouldn't be too great in the rain and or/mist we have seen this week.

Keep the ideas coming please!

There are other wildlife tours that don't require sea legs. Try giving www.shetlandnature.net a call/mail. :wink:

Well if you have wheels go look at the weather. Sumburgh Head, St. Ninians Isle and Eshaness can all look good in a gale. Head up to Unst just so they can say they have been to the top of Britain.....or at least the most Northerly road. Walls and Sandness make a nice drive whatever the weather and the drive from Bixter to Voe via Aith is interesting. And is there not a plane acting as a shed somewhere in North Roe (Malcolm please answer that).

Use the ferries to visit some of the other islands. Whalsay, Skerries and even Papa Stour can all be visited on a day trip. Maybe the Burland Croft on Trondra and the fine perrie house down at Papil could be combined with lunch at the Scalloway Hotel. And do not forget Scalloway Castle.

As for Dr. Wills and his boat trips I all I can do is tell you about my own experience. Been twice with friends from South. First time we did manage to go all the way round Bressay and Noss and after the first few minutes I felt fine about being on the boat. Second time the weather was not so good so Jonathan kept us to the more sheltered waters and it was still a great trip.

Finally do not forget Mousa. Sheltered enough most of the time and an interesting destination.

^^

Thanks for that.

As long as it is not really chucking it down and/or blowing a gale, a walk through Hermaness to see Muckle Flugga is most definitely on our list. Living in Cunningsburgh, it is a good day trip there and back with, perhaps, lunch at Saxa Vord.

Eshaness would also be another "must" but, for me, a trip there involves a nice walk along the coastline and you can't do that if the weather is really against you.

I adore the ferry trip out to Skerries as a foot passenger and love seeing the lighthouse come into view. I have done the trip several times in the past 3 years. It was also on our list but the trip is only a good one when the weather is good. Cowering from the rain in the lounge of the Skerries ferry is not a pleasant experience, I can report!

I will consider Jonathan's boats as a possibility. However, it is quite a bit of dosh to pay if it is peeing down, blowing a gale or very misty.

We can see Mousa from our house but have not been willing to pay the £13 or so fare for the short trip so far. I guess I will have to get there some time. Besides, I don't think the ferries start up until May.

Thanks, Malcolm.

What did your guests do in April?

We have ideas to occupy our guests' time if the weather is not rainy and/or too windy so maybe your visitors had reasonable weather.

As it happens they are fresh air freaks (their description of them not mine), on two days the weather was so bad we just couldn't go far so we took them to Eshaness to watch the "vertical precipitation" and then to the Braewick cafe for cakes & tea where we sat watching the high waves etc (they were totally fascinated).

Thanks.

We will do our best for our visitors whatever the weather but our fingers and toes are crossed for at least a couple of "decent" days.

They arrive here in just 10 days time so an improvement in the weather would be appreciated!