Judging by the reports in todays Scottish press, a large number of voters have trouble identifying the political party leaders, including Tavish Scott, who has been mistken for both Steve Davis of snooker fame and Fred Goodwin of RBS infamy! Now i reckon that is a helluva lot of tasty UHA squad material for next year already.

On a serious note, is this not confirmation of the dire state of Scottish politics, when there really are no heavy weight players any more and most people have no idea who is who? Looks like Salmond will have no difficulty in coming back with a better majority this time.

The apathy towards elections is part of a bigger problem.

Firstly, the Scottish and British politicians are now useless limp rags with no real power. It's Europe which calls the shots now so what's the point in voting?.

Secondly, life is now such a struggle for most people and their jobs so stressful that the last thing they care about are elections which in truth won't make their lives any better anyway.

The politicians are simply reaping what they sowed.....

Looks like Salmond will have no difficulty in coming back with a better majority this time.

God forbid! :shock:

I better blaw da stoor aff o' a suitcase, an gyt me Passport up ta date, juist in case. :?

Don't worry - it's an easy trip to Forvik given a decent day :)

The trip I have no problems with. Its riding out the stay there if a NW gale blows up, that worries me most. Best pack oilskins, and a piece of good thick rope I think, and hope there's a decent rock on the lee shore I can lash myself to :?

Given a choice though, I think I'd rather head for Bermuda. I'd risk the 'Triangle' long before I'd risk being subjected to another session of Salmond rule.

Guest Anonymous
http://news.stv.tv/election-2011/241299-lib-dem-leader-promises-real-ideas-ahead-of-manifesto-launch/

Tavish, I say get real.. How much longer are you going to hang out with the Lib Dems?

They are a joke!

Everything the party you believed in is gone!

I'm of the opinion that tavish only ever believed in climbing the political ladder, and if the national front had been the party of power in Shetland that's who he would have nailed his colours to. he has consistently towed the party line when it is clearly not in Shetlands interests. Joe Grimmond will be birling in his grave.

And before any one thinks I'm calling tavish a nazi, I'm not but I am calling him a political whore

On the face of their antics in the media the Liberal Democrats are in for a soaking with several candidates jumping ship - yesterday one of their longest serving MSPs was saying what a good First Minister Salmond would make!! - You just couldn’t make it up. Hardly a ringing endorsement of Tavish and his manifesto that’s bereft of any fresh policies or ideas.

Whats the chances of us (And Orkney) being the only two places to vote in the Limpdems. We will be a laughing stock.

For the sake of whats left of our fishing industry the last thing we need is a Labour fisheries minister during the CFP review in 2012. For that reason i will be voting SNP. Besides Iain Gray or Elmar fudd as he is known to most people is an even bigger joke than Tavish.

With the appalling choices on offer its no wonder people dont vote.

IMHO..etc

The fact that people do not know who the leaders are is indicative of the ignorance that is prevalent amongst our society. A large number of people are more concerned about the goings on in Eastenders and Coronation Street than they are about the issues affect reality. Nevertheless, I am not going to launch into a diatribe on the plight of our society.

That aside, I agree with the above poster who commented on the apathy that the British Public have towards politics. One of the issues causing this is the fact that the main parties are almost exactly the same. They are nothing but faces for the real decision makers of our country. Organisations like MI5, DEFRA, BAE, the financial institutions and Oil Companies always remain constant – these are the groups that influence and change our environment, energy, economy, foreign policy etc. The Governments change, get their five minutes of fame, whilst acting as puppets to serve the greater good of our capitalist rulers. I find this abhorrent, and although I regularly vote, I know deep down that my vote actually does not make any difference. Is it any wonder that individuals become apathetic?

The fact that people do not know who the leaders are is indicative of the ignorance that is prevalent amongst our society. A large number of people are more concerned about the goings on in Eastenders and Coronation Street than they are about the issues affect reality. Nevertheless, I am not going to launch into a diatribe on the plight of our society.

That aside, I agree with the above poster who commented on the apathy that the British Public have towards politics. One of the issues causing this is the fact that the main parties are almost exactly the same. They are nothing but faces for the real decision makers of our country. Organisations like MI5, DEFRA, BAE, the financial institutions and Oil Companies always remain constant – these are the groups that influence and change our environment, energy, economy, foreign policy etc. The Governments change, get their five minutes of fame, whilst acting as puppets to serve the greater good of our capitalist rulers. I find this abhorrent, and although I regularly vote, I know deep down that my vote actually does not make any difference. Is it any wonder that individuals become apathetic?

Thats Because to most people Eastenders and the other soaps have more relivance to there lives than what Tavish does.

Or supports the policies of the condems. Its strange that im looking with favour at Billy fox. Always been labour i just think its time that someone local with the best intrests of Shetland represented us. Im very disapointed in the Lberals they we always my second party but they have sold themselves and us out for power. Its even sadder that the libs in Scotland are trying to claim that the Scottish party is diffrent. If they are ashamed of whats being done in there name they had better say it.