Shetland's cultural diversity and integration

Styles

(** MOD EDIT ** Title changed from "Are Shetland folk reserved?" to allow wider discussion)

I was at the John Shuttleworth film the other night and he had a questions and answers part at the end. Nearly every question was asked by some one who did not have a Shetland accent. Someone else mentioned this to me today.

It got me thinking that Shetlanders on a whole seem to me to be a very reserved bunch not inclined to make their view in public.

I have been at many meetings, or public advents and it allways seem to be those from out with Shetland who now live here who seem to have the most to say and make their voice heard.

Also im my dealings with groups such as community councils and other groups a large proportion are none Shetland natives and these none natives also seem to be the most vocal.

I am not saying every Shetlander is like this but on a whole we seem to not like public speaking or makeing a fuss. While a lot of none natives seem to be more vocal and more inclined to make a fuss about somthing.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try and get on to the Shetland Mafia topic to much.. but i think you are right in saying alot of shetlanders are reserved, and i believe its to do with growign up where if you said anything against the shetland clique, you woudl be slated to kingdom come and instantly made an outcast.

I didnt ask any questions.

I guess a big part is that people dont want to speak out on subjects in public due to most folk knowing each other and not wanting to seem opposed to someone elses view incase it comes back to haunt you.

I remember about schools being closed and other things like that, most people I spoke to in private were for it as they knew money had to be saved some where, but in public they would not say this as it may anger or upset those that did not want the schools to close.

same thing about the India trip and Council giveing money. Most folk in private would rather it was spent on people in Shetland but didnt want to sound un charitable in public so would not say it.

Speaking as a "soothmouther" I have noticed the same thing. Not decided if it is Shetland people being reserved or just not wasting their breath by spouting a lot of c**p. Seem to remember that almost all the people shown in the Antiques Roadshow programme from the Clickimin also had south accents.

I think Shetlanders are reserved – at least when it comes to public audiences or folk they don’t know. It probably stems from natural shyness and an upbringing where voicing your opinions loudly and blowing your own trumpet is frowned upon generally – which in turn can be attributed to having to get along with folk in a small community.

You make a good point Styles about how people are generally more forthcoming about their opinions in private than in public. I’ve never been in favour of public meetings as a means of gathering opinions in Shetland - especially when it comes to controversial issues where people can have strong views on both sides of the debate but can be understandably reluctant to voice them publicly.

In a more general sense, I think there’s an element too that folk (older folk in particular) can feel intimidated by non-Shetlanders who come across as confident and articulate public speakers, even if in reality they don’t know what they are talking about. Again that may just come down to natural shyness or, I sometimes think, a subconsciousness among some folk that the Shetland accent can be a barrier to them expressing themselves confidently to non-Shetlanders.

I was also at the premiere of the John Shuttleworth movie on Wednesday night (great movie) and was almost dreading the Question and Answer session at the end knowing that there was likely to be an awkward silence when Graham Fellows opened up to the floor at the end. I often find this is the case at this type of thing so I decided to start the ball rolling and asked the first question! :P

shetlander, I think you make a good point about the accent being a barrier - this was highlighted both in the Shuttleworth movie when he couldn't understand a couple of Yell men and when a Shetland voice finally came forward and he had to ask him to repeat himself 2 or 3 times!

P.s. for those of you that it is important to, I am also a Soothmoother (although I have lived here since I was 9 months old - does that qualify me as a naturalised Shetlander?!)

Interesting post-script Tito, what does qualify one as a natuaralised Shetlander? I am born and bred but my wife was born South and has been here about 10 years. Our first bairn was born in Shetland but we had to go south to have our second. Does this make our first bairn a half-cast and the second a soothmoother? I dont think so.

You came up at 9 months old which means you grew up here and must know it as your home. I think this makes you a Shetlander even though not through birth.

I know some narrow minded Shetlanders will disagree as your parents may not have brought you up in a traditionaly Shetland manner and thet you may not have Shetland blood or birth. But what is a traditional Shetland upbringing? Many peaple especially in the last 30 years cannot claim to have anythinglike the upbringing their parents did or indeed their grandparents.

Sorry for going off topic a bit. I have plenty of friends who are exuberant to the point of overly and very confident within their circle of friends but when put into a position where they could have to speak publicly they become very shy. I really dont know why brash, confident people lose this when faced with the unknown or something a bit outside their comfort zone. I personally can and have spoke up in public but that is not to say I enjoyed it. I do think here there is a feeling that if you put your head above the parapet then be ready to be shot at and many people would rather not be contradicted and made to look foolish.

I'm not sure you are off topic, you may in fact have hit the nail on the head. Maybe there's a connection about how you choose to identify yourself and how you conduct yourself in public.

Is it the case that the "Say Nawtheen" approach to public speaking is seen as 'properly' Shetland?

Is it that there's nothing intrinsically shy or underconfident about a lot of shetlanders, but that being seen to be overly keen to make yourself heard is to undermine your Shetland credentials?

I think the reason that soothmoothers may be more outspoken is because they have been the type to get up off their backsides and come to live in Shetland. Most of my mates down south were looking at me in awe when I said that I was moving from Sussex to here. So all the quiet ones stayed where they were.

As far as Shetlanders being quiet, I thought it was because they didn't hold any opinions, but later on I realised that most of them are scared to speak up as it seems to be a place that you are particularly remembered for your mistakes.

Guest perrie-lipper
I'll try and get on to the Shetland Mafia topic to much.. but i think you are right in saying alot of shetlanders are reserved, and i believe its to do with growign up where if you said anything against the shetland clique, you woudl be slated to kingdom come and instantly made an outcast.

How can this statement be true if indeed as you suggest Shetlanders are reserved, then who would speak out to create a public flogging?

Guest perrie-lipper
I think the reason that soothmoothers may be more outspoken is because they have been the type to get up off their backsides and come to live in Shetland. Most of my mates down south were looking at me in awe when I said that I was moving from Sussex to here. So all the quiet ones stayed where they were.

As far as Shetlanders being quiet, I thought it was because they didn't hold any opinions, but later on I realised that most of them are scared to speak up as it seems to be a place that you are particularly remembered for your mistakes.

One is glad that there are many circles of people within the Shetland Isles, your comment in your opinion may be what you have observed, and the point is amusing to read. However may I say that this statement bears no resemblance to anyone I know or all the Shetlanders who speak out for good causes every day within Shetland.

I just finished reading a book on Burra fishermen which noted that (at least prior to 1981 or so when the book was written) that local folk tended not to run for the council seats and such - and it remarked that there was a distinct tendency for people to not stick their neck out, lest they be mocked by the rest of the community. People showed off by the size of their catch or how well run their croft was - not by being loud in the community.

And a great quote - 'Nevvir let nae ottir body ken dy business'