Are we going to get a summer this year?

daveh

It is getting a tad irritating getting emails from folks down south saying what lovely weather they have been enjoying lately. We have had the last two summers go missing and this spring has been totally miserable so surely we are due a decent summer for a change.

Aren't we?

To be realistic, spring never really starts here until May, and spring weather can't be reasonably relied upon until at least mid-May. April is a rather annoying month, there will be the odd day or so that is very spring-like and puts you in that frame of mind, then along comes the next with an unpleasant reminder winter isn't quite done yet.

I've learned as the years have passed never to allow myself to think "spring", until May, as there's a greater than 50% chance that at least one day, very likely more, between 26th and 30th April will be very poor weather.

If we get an April blizzard/snow, it will be between those dates its most likely to occur, and I lost count the number of years I've lambed sheep with at least one day of wet snow or a westerly gale and sleet/hail showers between those dates.

I have a friend in London, who was on teamspeak when I joined, in a temporary channel called "Sitting in the Sun".

I (non)accidentally altered it to "Smog Sniffing", and departed.

Yes I know that was slightly off topic. Am I jealous of their warm spring sunshine, buzzy bees, little garden birds twittering...? :cry:

Yup just a bit 'homesick' for my old garden right now...

I know spring will come, and Shetland when the sky is blue is glorious, I just wish it would hurry.

Guest posiedon

Didn't we have the best Summer of anywhere in the UK in 2008? Or was it a dream.

We didn't come here for the weather so we don't complain about it,

The weather in Cumbria is much worse. (48 years experience)