Ship runs aground in Lerwick harbour mouth

All joking aside, and placing my tongue as centrally as possible, did SIBC actually say that? That is shocking! For various reasons over the last few months I've lost a lot of respect for both the Shetland Times and the Shetland News. To hear that SIBC would report that is very dissapointing. I know that we all like to make a joke about it but it's usually not bad. Perhaps there mght be some truth to it though? As the ship staff all seem to have been warned to make no comment it might be difficult to find out the real story.

^^ Its what I heard them say at 7 or 7.30 that morning....so, either they did actually say it. Or, I was still asleep, and dreaming I was listening to the SIBC News.

I tend to prefer the former explanation, as while I do have the occasional nightmare, they're usually tame stuff, apocolyptic carnage and suchlike....So if I've been suddenly upgraded in the nightmares stakes to something as dire as SIBC News bulletins, I really need to toodle up the road and get my head read.

its true with a DP3 vessel the reduncy in place is kinda virtually impossible to have a problem that would cause this, but unlikely that while going through harbour they were in DP mode, prob had split busbars with 2 gennys online. but these are so advanced that a electrical bug can cause havoc! esp with steering and thrusters (first hand experience)

or it could be that some incompetant fool was on the sticks which to be honest is just a likely!!

see if the real reason makes the papers if not there will be an experince transfer doing the rounds sometime for those of us in the industry.

All joking aside, and placing my tongue as centrally as possible, did SIBC actually say that? That is shocking! For various reasons over the last few months I've lost a lot of respect for both the Shetland Times and the Shetland News. To hear that SIBC would report that is very dissapointing. I know that we all like to make a joke about it but it's usually not bad. Perhaps there mght be some truth to it though? As the ship staff all seem to have been warned to make no comment it might be difficult to find out the real story.

Difference being was SIBC were listening in to VHF Channel 12 and 16 as the incident was on-going.

Unfortunately it is not illegal to own a marine VHF.

Have you ever tought hows the news people know so much about incidents involving the coastguard?

Ever thought how (not naming names) bur certain photographers are at the emergency heli-pad at the pool, waiting and knowing that the helicopter should be landing soon - just so they can get a picture.

For me it's one of two things.

1. They had a technical problem which caused the ship to swerve into the wind that night and then aground as seen in the photos.

Or 2. The tide is dragging the recently dredged material back into the harbour mouth area and she grounded on it.

Looking at where she grounded it's hard to believe that it would be that shallow there so close to the recently dredged channel itself.

Oh, and yes, SIBC was indeed reporting it as a problem with a side thruster, whether that's true or not.

He can't even pronounce the name Hjaltland right :roll: