Stone markers on hills

khitajrah

There are some stones in the hills called March Stones - these mark the boundaries between common grazings, neighbouring estates etc.

I have read that in some districts in Shetland, the community used to walk the Marches to check them and tidy them up so that they were obvious markers.

One report said that the elders used to take a different young lad with them each year and they soundly whipped him at each marker so that he would not forget where the markers were, and so the knowledge was passed on to another generaton !

This reminded me of something I saw recently on an old 1-25,000 Pathfinder map where there is a "Pile of Stones" marked near a place called Tingon which is a couple of miles up a track running north from the road to Hamnavove (The one just north of Eshaness). Stones are maybe a quarter mile to the west of Tingon. Just says "Pile of Stones" on the map which is the 1976 edition. Tingon is shown on the 1-50,000 landranger map but not the pile of stones.

I take it that they are this pile of stones?

They may be natural - you'd have to visit them to check.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly sure that when crofters in the old days ploughed their fields they would gather up any stones turned up with the plow and make a pile with them. This was just to make the bit of land they used to plant their kale or tatties or whatever in a bit better for growing things. Of course these piles are found on more fertile bits of land and not in the hill and are generally made up of smaller stones. Most probably grown over with grass too.

That is indeed the pile of stones I refer to. May manage to go for a look one day although it is one of those places that is not easy to reach by bus. Well bus and a reasonable walk.

It is a fantastic drive :shock: not doing that one again - well not unless it's good weather.

• 1 month later...

some of the piles of stones on hill tops etc are burrials,i know of 4 such piles on the west hill of tingwall.some standing stones are remnants of boundry dykes,sometimes the big standing stones are all that's left of these dykes,but sometimes you can see the line of the dyke on the ground,i know of 2 examples of this.

but there are other examples of standing stones which stand alone,the "murder stone" in tingwall is one,the definative reason for this stone is still kinda up for debate,but people certainly used it as a marker,possably a boundry,and a meeting place among other reasons.they still do.