Alan Owen - Dentists

mitzy

I am sure most of you are aware that Alan is to retire later in the year. I believe that there has been interest in the Dental Business but the Shetland Health Board it seems owns the building and are not being supportive at all to those showing interest.

Sounds like they want to get rid of the building and hire a couple more locums at Montfield.

Considering the practise has over 5,000 clients how is Montfield going to cope.

Please write to the Chief Executive of the Shetland Health Board with your concerns.

Maybe we should have a Save our Dentists campaign too.

A concerned client.

The Shetland Health Board are planning to hire 6 extra dentists to work at an expanded Montfield clinic.

The SHB were planning to expand Montfield, but apparently (unconfirmed) the project is on hold, as the money which had been allocated is no longer available. (One wonders where it has gone.....)

Their other idea is simply to have locums do the work - now there's a splendid idea........ not.

Yes, a "Save our Dentists" campaign would be a good idea. It will be difficult to replace Alan Owen, but if someone wanted to take over the practice, they should be encouraged by the Health Board to do so, and hopefully those already working in the practice would be retained. Has anyone ever found a better Dental Hygienist than Morag Mouat ?!!

Spread the word !

Yes, a "Save our Dentists" campaign would be a good idea.

I don't think such a slogan is particularly appropriate as it implies that we already have dentists to save. The current waiting list situation in Shetland is so dire that what is needed is less about saving the existing state and more about providing an adequate service in the first place. Multi-year waiting lists are frankly not something I associate with "available to all healthcare."

Hope everyone has read the Shetland News article this afternoon

There are some factual accurracies that should be considered. The Owen's have a business to sell- money that will go into their pockets I believe. Quote: "Michelle Owen said she was stunned to hear of the development, as she and her husband had always been told there was no money for Montfield". So why does the advertisement for their dental practice say "Supernb opportunity to aquire a new 6 surgery NHS practice in a newly fitted health board premises. Previous practice generating in excess of....". See for yourself at http://www.pfmdental.co.uk/practices-for-sale.php (or google Practice Financial Management Ltd).

The Swedish dentists Michelle refers to will only have been dissapointed by this mis- sell of the situation- by the Owens. And is this new surgery (were it real) theirs to sell?

I have some sympathy for Mr Boker-Ingram and Mr Collins. They operate in a complex world, and not helped by this kind of behaviour whilst attempting to create something better. Let them get on with securing the money to build the new practice. And the Owens must now account for the discrepancies in their story about what they have to sell. They created this furore after all.... Behaving like this makes securing a buyer ever more unlikely.

From the news story I quoted above

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2011/01/18/nhs-shetland-to-take-on-six-new-dentists-to-help-cut-waiting-list

Mr Collins said he would “ideally†like the six new chairs to be used by independent dentists, who could take private as well as NHS patients.

Could it be that the Owens were lead to believe that they could relocate to Montfield? Their current premises are leased from the Health Board so their sale would help finance the new surgery.

I am beginning to get a bit suspicious of how the Health Board are treating their independent contractors. One reading of the situation is that they are tryng to get rid of them - see how they handled the application for the Scalloway pharmacy. The Lerwick Health Centre and the Montfield dentist are staffed by Health Board employees - is this the way the Health Board wants all the doctors and dentists to go?

Hope everyone has read the Shetland News article this afternoon

There are some factual accurracies that should be considered. The Owen's have a business to sell- money that will go into their pockets I believe. Quote: "Michelle Owen said she was stunned to hear of the development, as she and her husband had always been told there was no money for Montfield". So why does the advertisement for their dental practice say "Supernb opportunity to aquire a new 6 surgery NHS practice in a newly fitted health board premises. Previous practice generating in excess of....". See for yourself at http://www.pfmdental.co.uk/practices-for-sale.php (or google Practice Financial Management Ltd).

The Swedish dentists Michelle refers to will only have been dissapointed by this mis- sell of the situation- by the Owens. And is this new surgery (were it real) theirs to sell?

I have some sympathy for Mr Boker-Ingram and Mr Collins. They operate in a complex world, and not helped by this kind of behaviour whilst attempting to create something better. Let them get on with securing the money to build the new practice. And the Owens must now account for the discrepancies in their story about what they have to sell. They created this furore after all.... Behaving like this makes securing a buyer ever more unlikely.

Sorry, I actually work for Alan Owen.

The Owen's were TOLD by Mike Collins to advertise the practice as a temporary building with a view to move to Montfield.

When this couple came up on Saturday they were told that the 'new Montfield' plan had been shelved because of the lack of funding. Of this Alan and Michelle knew nothing, they thought the funding was fine until that point.

I will jump to their defence here, because I happen to know that Alan and Michelle are not the type to try and swindle people out of money!

The Owens have worked hard for 28 years to provide an essential service to the people of Shetland. In that time they have built a viable business, and with Alan retiring, for health reasons, they must surely now have the right to sell their business. By so doing they would only be doing what is best for their patients. Is it unreasonable to expect that their landlord, Shetland Health Board, should also consider the welfare of those patients, and do everything possible to assist the Owens in their attempts to pass on their business? The alternative must be to close the doors of the practice in September, something the Alan and Michelle have made every effort to avoid having to do.

It seems to me that the Owens can't win. If they try to sell the practice they are accused of being out to make money. If they simply close the doors they are branded as being uncaring. Grossly unfair, as I'm sure all Alan's patients will agree.

The public must now fear for the future of dental service in Shetland

As one of Alans patients I'm worried as to the future of a decent dental service, however may I say what a fantastic service Alan has provided.

I'd like to thank Alan and his family for the service provided. I can only imagine what he has gone through with his disability and admire how he continued to keep the practice going.

So from myself, and hope other patients will join me, I wish you and the family all the best for your well deserved retirement, and many thanks for all you've done for dentistry in Shetland over the years.

Couldn't agree more ! The sensitive and caring treatment and service, combined with a smiling reception from everyone, means that I have gradually ceased to view a visit to the dentist with horror, after years in my youth of hating it with a vengeance. The thought of getting used to a new dentist is a difficult one, but I hope whoever takes over - and I sincerely hope someone in the same mould is allowed to take over - will carry on the good work done by the Owens, with the same ethos.

Good luck, and a happy retirement to them both.