Who are you voting for in the Scottish Elections ?

SHETLAND1

Who?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

• Lib Dems
    • Labour
    • Conservative
    • SNP
    • Billy Fox

Well, it's voting day. Been a really interesting campaign, certainly the most competitive in recent memory.

I would encourage people to just vote today - for whomever. As the legend that is Bill Smith (cllr. 1967-1999 and provost 71-74) said to me:

"I would rather lose on an 80% turnout than win on a 30%."

What a guy :D

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its got to be Tavish; its not about a fresh start, its about someone committed to Shetland, always willing to listen and take up the cudgels on your behalf. Its a rare situation where its about the person; some of his party's policies I can live without; but as a representattive of shetland in edinburgh, at the heart of understanding how it works and how to get the best he can for shetland; hes the man.

So use your second vote to send out messages......

Well my vote's in.

Must say the hardest choice for me was the vote for our MSP. None of them suited me. The old guard just keep regurgitating the same old rubbish. Then you have your one trick ponies. Lastly you get your lunatic fringe.

My vote went in despite misgivings, if they get in, at least I wont be able to moan if they fail to come up to scratch!

Yes to AV, although I would prefer PR, its not on the table as an option (baby steps).

Billy Fox got my local vote. If he gets it I hope he can get past his Windfarm issues. I would prefer wave generated electricity (more consistent and reliable) But, he will have to get to grips with the whole political arena, and make our voice heard and our vote count! Something that has been missing for sometime now.

Who ever you vote for, please vote. Show everyone you care what happens.

Mr. Fox got my vote; I trust him to stand up for Shetland better than any of the other candidates. The SNP got my list vote, though I really don't much like them; it was chiefly to keep the tories, lid dems and labour out; I'm fed up with their endless obsession with the union and putting Scotland down.

A point about the SNP and economic viability. The question of Scotland being unable to survive financially is a red herring at best and a positve barrage of dishonesty at worst. Denmark exports butter, lager, bacon and ...butter. Scottish industries include serious agriculture, fishing, finance, education, life sciences, coal, a surprisingly large manufacturing sector, tourism, whisky ( and beer - Scotland actually exports more lager than Denmark) So - if the Union is so good for Scotland, how come Danes are rich and Scots (especially Shetlanders, given that this is where the oil is) are poor. Same aplies to Norway, Sweden, Finland and - despite everything - to Iceland and Ireland as well.

I have put this Scotland-Denmark question to about two dozen Labour/Lib-Dem and Tory candidates/ MPs/MSPs/Party Officials/Journalists and have not had an answer.Can't think why not......

Its got to be Tavish; its not about a fresh start, its about someone committed to Shetland, always willing to listen and take up the cudgels on your behalf. Its a rare situation where its about the person; some of his party's policies I can live without; but as a representattive of shetland in edinburgh, at the heart of understanding how it works and how to get the best he can for shetland; hes the man.

So use your second vote to send out messages......

But that's just the problem - Tavish isn't getting the best deal for Shetland. For whatever reason we're just lost in the quagmire of "national" politics with "central government" as cold and distant as ever.

Could Billy Fox change it?. Probably not, but at least we know he'd be giving it his best shot and I'm not sure if Tavish does that.

:)

This is a strange election for Shetland. Our recent Lib Dem MSP looks like he will be leader of a rather small Lib Dem group tomorrow and indeed it sounds possible that he may not even have a seat himself. But if ever there was a time to vote against the Lib Dem candidate this election is the one. We have a strong local candidate and five years in the wilderness (or on Bressay) is unlikely to do any long term harm to Tavish's long term political ambitions so if ever there was a time to experiment by voting for an independent candidate then this is it.

Of course if Billy is elected and all those who say he will be useless at representing Shetland at Holyrood are actually right (although personally I think he might be quite good) then due to the Scottish top-up system we also have a group of Highlands and Islands "list MSPs". Had reservations about this at first but just think----when was the last time a Shetlander could ask a Tory to represent them in Parliament?.

Somehow I doubt if they are reading this tonight but to the losing candidate from the expected front runners I think I would say that it is a pity we could not have elected both of you. And to the other losers--the ones who did not really expect to win--I hope you have enjoyed the experience and I really do hope that since we have not got any candidates from the fringe parties standing in Shetland none of you gets horribly beaten.

I hope Fox truly does represent all the people in Shetland. There are many issues to deal with. I hope he looks after the folk he represents, some of them have had not the choice.

He has 5 years of getting the hang of it, and without a group with experience to help him it will be tough.

There is far more at stake than the few things he represents.

I feel it could be a bad thing.

If Tavish were to lose his seat, the T will extinguish itself for 1 minutes silence at 1900 hrs Friday the 6th May, 2011.

If however, he should retain his seat, then Lavish will be hosting 'His free drinks evening' under the frenetically flashing T - same place and time as above... 8)