Who are you voting for in the Scottish Elections ?

SHETLAND1

Who?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

• Lib Dems
    • Labour
    • Conservative
    • SNP
    • Billy Fox

Well, I've just voted here in Lerwick and there was a steady stream of folk coming and going and when I asked if there had been a good turnout the election bods said yes it has been really quite busy all day.

As to Billy Fox, I think a lot of people are fed up with the self-serving, petty and useless mainstream parties and why should we accept that that's "how it has to be"?.

Now, will I get to sleep tonight?.

Oh yes, for sure :lol:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the greens could have saved a small tree by not sending party flyers to every house in shetland...

The one sent to my house was printed on recycled paper.

none of the parties used recycled paper and tavish , billy and one other used shetland litho all nthe rest used a south firm.....

The thing with the regional ballot is that it's a closed list system. The party decides who is on the list and who is not. No-one knows the H & I MSP's really, even though they are MSP's just like Tavish, Salmond etc. They just don't have the same public face because there's 7 or 8 of them to an area.

I've just listened to Brian Taylor trying to explain the relationship between constituency and list MSP's. To say i'm more confused than before is an understatement. He was explaining about the balance between the two and how a big constituency vote would mean a lower list count and vice versa. I'm still trying to get my head around what he said.

Methinks I need to do more research! I thought I understood the voting system, but obviously not!

I'm still intrigued about what would happen if Billy became our constituency MSP as a lone voice and Tavish (if elected as a list MSP) remained leader of the Lib-Dem's but was not there to represent us.

I guess another hour or so and we will know the answer.

Humph.... Total waste of time as usual. :evil:
Not a total waste of time. The electorate in both Shetland and Orkney have sent out a reminder to the Lib Dems that the seats are not theirs by divine right. Pity that more people did not bother voting although the result means that just under half of the Shetland electorate have forfeited the moral right to complain about anything the government does for the next 5 years.

Yassssssssssssssssss!!!!!

What could Billy Fox really have done for Shetland? It's good to see the amount of people who complained about the windfarm voting for him.

No stupid stats people, it does not say 30% of Shetlanders wanted him in, it does not mean it's the equivalent of millions in Britain voting for him (refering to the march against the windfarm)

It's 2500+ people! And in this sort of situation more people who support him would have gone and voted, where as others who lean towards other parties may happily stay at home.

Humph.... Total waste of time as usual. :evil:

I wouldn't say that.

I took a punt on Billy Fox because, like a lot of others, I am more than a little disillusioned with politics and political parties and I think we need a change.

So, Billy Fox didn't win, BUT, he did come a very respectable second and rattled Tavish's cage quite loudly.

If they have any wit at all, the mainstream parties will now realise that our one day of true democracy (which only happens every 4 or 5 years) is a very dangerous time for them all. They just better shape up.