Scallaway Museum

Kavi Ugl

This is simply great news and all the folk who have worked so hard to bring it to fruition deserve a medal. I can't wait to see the finalised museum next year.

£11 million on Mareel while the Scallaway Museum had to "beg, borrow and steal" and will even be manned by volunteers. And in my book I know which of the two is of more value to Shetland's culture.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/component/content/article/36-latest-new/382-a-new-future-for-scalloways-past.html

Yes, it's really amazing what they've done wi the old knitwear shop/factory.

I'm sure they won't be short of artifacts to display but what I would like to see is the Shetland Museum donating some of the artifacts they have in storage and which never see the light of day.

In particular any Shetland Bus memorobilia and I've heard that they have a model of the Shetland Bus boat "Arthur"(?).

Did anybody else see the Norwegian Stav Kirk and Aksel boat models built by Andrew J. White in The Shetland Life which are being donated to the museum?. Absolutely beautiful and what generous and worthy gifts.

• 2 months later...

I wish the museum all the success of the old place.

I just hope a small tea/coffee corner can be added & I personally would like to see the Peerie Treats have items on sale if possible.

What happened to Peerie Treats? is it still a buisness?

• 3 months later...

Not sure how I forgot about this but I visited the new Scalloway Museum during the Tall Ships and was very pleased by what I saw.

Until I reached the Shetland Bus section and noticed that they have spelt the name of Leif Larsson wrong. They have spelt it as Lief Larsson not even just once but I saw it at least twice on the one plaque!.

This is very shoddy and an insult to his memory. Did nobody notice?. If anybody from the Scalloway Museum sees my post I hope you will rectify this asap.

As it should be...

http://shetlopedia.com/Shetland_Bus

£11 million on Mareel while the Scallaway Museum had to "beg, borrow and steal" and will even be manned by volunteers. And in my book I know which of the two is of more value to Shetland's culture.

l

That’s because it's all in Lerwick.

Anywhere else in Shetland has to beg or do sponsored walks.

That’s also why there is so many roads dug up in Lerwick and roads being resurfaced.

Look at commercial street and the waste of money on stone when tar would have done

The closing of schools to justify the pointless new AHS

So over fill the old one with the pupils from Scalloway

To claim over crowding.

^^^^

Maybe you shouldn't 'insult his memory' futher by spelling his name wrong yourself.

Both the link you provided and the Shetland Bus website both use the spelling Leif Larsen, not Larsson.

Ok, that's my own terrible mistake - I was in too much of a hurry and too focused on his first name to pay attention to what I was typing for the second.

The Scalloway Museum will be a fantastic place when fully up and running but I couldn't believe it when I saw that his name had been mis-spelt.

Hopefully when I go back it will be corrected.....Leif Larsen.

Not sure how I forgot about this but I visited the new Scalloway Museum during the Tall Ships and was very pleased by what I saw.

Until I reached the Shetland Bus section and noticed that they have spelt the name of Leif Larsson wrong. They have spelt it as Lief Larsson not even just once but I saw it at least twice on the one plaque!.

This is very shoddy and an insult to his memory. Did nobody notice?. If anybody from the Scalloway Museum sees my post I hope you will rectify this asap.

As it should be...

http://shetlopedia.com/Shetland_Bus

:D noo noo Kavi, do can hardly be critical o dir mistake when doo maks da same een deesel :oops: