Scallaway Museum

Kavi Ugl

MuckleJoannie, I do apologise if I seem to be pouring cold water on things because I do feel so proud of the new museum.

I just feel ashamed that Shetland as a whole didn't rise to the occassion in the way it deserved.

I was hoping that the brass band would have been used and it vexes me that the best we ever seem able to do is a squad of so-called "vikings" and bagpipes.

You can't please everyone!

The brass band were invited but as the event was on Thursday they couldn't get enough people able to take time off to play.

The Norwegian media seem taken with the pipe band in this clip filmed befor the parade took off.

http://www.tv2.no/play/nyheter/utenriks/statsministeren-feiret-med-sekkepiper-616780.html

Footage of the prime minister meeting Sverre Syversen in Scalloway on Wednesday.

http://www.tv2.no/play/nyheter/innenriks/statsministeren-feirer-17-mai-paa-shetland-616745.html

There was a massive amount of participation from bairns in todays events! The Prime Minister attended an assembly at the school with pupils providing music and drumming. The whole school was out in force with former pupils also returning from the Anderson High School to walk in the procession. They were joined along the way with bairns from the Nursery, Hame fae Hame and the Playgroup. Seven Flag carriers fae the school were at the forefront of proceedings at the memorial. Scalloway Performing arts group STAGES have been in rehearsals for weeks and today performed a piece to coincide with Robbie Johnson's two granddaughters presenting the Prime Ministers wife with a lace shawl and then the museum children's area was filled with bairns as part of the private tour for the PM and his wife who both throughout their visit have made special effort to yarn to bairns they have met along the way. Then the school then spent most of the day enjoying entertainment in the Muckle Yard and visits on the open boats. I think all the of the young ones involved have had a once in a lifetime experience they won't forget!! Fair play to the Head Teacher and all the other staff at the school!

Not only this, but not one other official place(i.e school or sports centre) flying the Norwegian flag in recognition of the fact that the Norwegian Prime Minister was on an official visit to Shetland on Norway's National Day.

That is simply not true. Norsky flag flying from the Town Hall all day and the Union flag from LPA at the esplanade for a start. Quite apparent to all, unless one has decided a priori to be outraged.

...which was bad enough but then in the procession the Scy Jarl Squad. Yep, once again the usual pinacle of Shetland's heritage.....

UHA is clearly not for everyone, but I do get the feeling that your problem with it stems from a fundamental misunderstanding about what it is actually all about. You regularly slag it for being fake, as if that is a credible objective value statement. Of course it is fake, its fakeness goes to its very core. If you wish to get a grip on why we love it, think about the age old concepts of "fool for a day" and the "lords of misrule," and above all "having a good time." It is certainly not about being serious. UHA is remarkable for its natural community organisation, not for being some kind of authentic historic recreation society. Some get the vibe, some don't, those who do relish it, those who don't miss out. That's life. It is certainly on the up currently, so I expect you are going to have to put up with much more in the coming years. Might be a good idea to try and stand in our shoes (furry boots?) and get a feel for it. I certainly managed to once convince myself that olives taste good, and now I can't imagine not loving them ;-).

Aye EM. I said tae her afore, an Ex-Jarl who was challenged at da Up Helly-Aa exhibition wi da statement " That's not authentic Viking!" replied, "It's authentic Up Helly-Aa!" Still no sunk in though. We du try!

On another note, the BBC seems to have missed the fact the Norwegian Prime Minister was here.

But in other news a weegie soapdodger was horribly murdered.

Thats News.

Canna see Salmond fitting in to a Brittan Norman Islander though! ( and I know it's not made in Scotland. )

This I am assuming is the rest of Stoltenberg's entourage then :-

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/beenister/Danishturbo.jpg

Dis wis Bill Bailly's "private wan" - sumeen wee a sense o' humour :)

Not only this, but not one other official place(i.e school or sports centre) flying the Norwegian flag in recognition of the fact that the Norwegian Prime Minister was on an official visit to Shetland on Norway's National Day.

That is simply not true. Norsky flag flying from the Town Hall all day and the Union flag from LPA at the esplanade for a start. Quite apparent to all, unless one has decided a priori to be outraged.

...which was bad enough but then in the procession the Scy Jarl Squad. Yep, once again the usual pinacle of Shetland's heritage.....

UHA is clearly not for everyone, but I do get the feeling that your problem with it stems from a fundamental misunderstanding about what it is actually all about. You regularly slag it for being fake, as if that is a credible objective value statement. Of course it is fake, its fakeness goes to its very core. If you wish to get a grip on why we love it, think about the age old concepts of "fool for a day" and the "lords of misrule," and above all "having a good time." It is certainly not about being serious. UHA is remarkable for its natural community organisation, not for being some kind of authentic historic recreation society. Some get the vibe, some don't, those who do relish it, those who don't miss out. That's life. It is certainly on the up currently, so I expect you are going to have to put up with much more in the coming years. Might be a good idea to try and stand in our shoes (furry boots?) and get a feel for it. I certainly managed to once convince myself that olives taste good, and now I can't imagine not loving them ;-).

EM - once more you have told these ignorant fe.ck..ers where to go - tally ho :)

Well, I saw the main part of todays's opening and was very disappointed.

Now there's a suprise.

I suppose I needn't have expected anything else from modern-day Shetland.

:(

Kavi I have to ask, why don't you just move to Norway? You seem constantly frustrated by the fact that Shetland doesn't fulfill your fanciful ideology of what you think modern day Shetland should be. This neurotic obsession can't be good for your health!

If you lived there then every day you would be surrounded by all things Norwegian and it would save this tidal wave of spermatozoa everytime the country is mentioned.

Kavi Ugl you are a very insultive person sometimes

I agree. It seems really disrespectful to the small group of volunteers who organised the celebrations to moan about such trivial matters.

Unfortunately I couldn't be there on the day but the pictures above suggest the Shetland flag is directly beside the Norwegian one, so I don't understand what the issue is there.

Yet another video from Jens Stoltenberg's visit. This one concentrates on his visit to the Norwegian war graves in Lerwick plus an interview after the museum opening.

http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/05/18/nyheter/22_juli/breivik/jens_stoltenberg/politikk/21642689/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

During the visit of Prime Minister Shetland honored the close ties between Norway and Shetland during World War II. He laid a wreath in memory of Norwegians who were killed in the war effort that was organized from the islands, and he met one of the few remaining war heroes from the daring operations, Sverre Syversen (92).

Stoltenberg believes there is a line from 17 May 1814 to World War II, and further to 22 July 2011.

- There are three very different events from three distinct eras. But basically they act all about freedom and democracy. In 1814, Norway became independent, in that we had in place a revolutionary constitution, which gave the Norwegian people a freedom and autonomy that we never had. The struggle against the occupation during the war was about the same, he says and continues:

- 22 July is something completely different, but is still that we were all reminded that our democracy is not a matter of course. It was an attack on one of the foremost expressions of an elected government, namely the government building. And it was an attack on some of the finest we have in our democracy, namely, engaged youth in summer camp.

Freedom and democracy

When Stoltenberg honors Norwegian war veterans, it is an expression of gratitude for a country where one can choose the government and where you can participate in political fun without feeling fear.

They have fought for freedom and democracy, values ​​that are reinforced meaning when they are threatened, says Stoltenberg.

- You are not the every day and think that they are so grateful for the freedom and democracy. We take it as an absolute matter of course. But the moment they are threatened, we see that it is good that in Norway can safely join a youth organization and that one can say what you want and be safe.

my daughter was on duty there all day with the red cross. she thought it was very good. was strange to see the uha squad there with norwegian war ship behind. pity we could not have sent one.

it was very good of norways pm to come. when was the last time the uk or scotlands first minster.

well done to those that organised it and also thank you to the singers.

its important to remember why this event was needed. does it really matter which flags were flying were.

In response to the incredibly negative posts coming from Kavi Ugl, especially with regards to the lack of Norwegian flags flying, I must say that I have seen more of those dotted around Shetland in this past week than I can remember. They are everywhere, from houses and buildings around Lerwick and Scalloway to shop windows. Whether they are on the buildings which he deems to be important I don’t know, but I think Shetland has done exceptionally well in making their Prime Minister feel most welcome.

I seem to be taking the usual hammering for daring to speak up on a couple of things that I mentioned from yesterday.

I have been one of the most ardent supporters of the new Scy museum on here for some years now and having been in the museum it is absolutely fantastic.

I fully appreciate the work that went into yesterday but just felt that some quarters of Shetland didn't show the support they could have but absolute credit to the many who did.

I accept that the Brass Band couldn't make it but just personally feel that skirling bagpipes and an UHA jarl squad aren't the most fitting for such an occassion but that's just my personal opinion.

I'm not Superman and am not able to see every inch of Shetland in one day so obviously didn't see the support/flags that others have seen. I was only talking in relation to what I had seen but as usual people jump in at the deep end.

I have already apologised(something some people on here seem unable to do) if I came across a little too negative(thanks neon lights :?).

As I listened to the Scy bairns singing the Norwegian song on Radio Shetland last night it melted my heart and made me incredibly proud.

Reading the news about the bairns and the Shetland shawl and how they presented one to the Prime Minister's wife was inspirational.

What would be fantastic is if we had our own "national" costume for Shetland for such occassions and I would suggest the male and female outfits worn by the traditional Shetland dance group.

I saw some peerie bairn's dressed in peerie Norwegian national dresses and it was beautiful. Now imagine if we'd had a parade of folk/bairns dressed in such a Shetland costume waving their flags rather than a wing helmeted jarl squad.....would this not be better and more meaningful?.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/thorleif08/136817102_8eb5d0d7d7.jpg