Scallaway Museum

Kavi Ugl

I'm not Superman and am not able to see every inch of Shetland in one day so obviously didn't see the support/flags that others have seen. I was only talking in relation to what I had seen but as usual people jump in at the deep end.

Deep end? :shock: I would suggest that if anyone has been guilty of jumping in at the deep end, it was surely you. As you seem to accept, you were somewhat too quick off the mark in your blanket summary of a lack of flag hoisting. If I was going to come out with all guns blazing on some issue, I would have made sure the facts on the ground supported the view to be argued.

What would be fantastic is if we had our own "national" costume for Shetland ...

We do. There are two, both de facto. Jarly mode is one option, though obviously limited for many cases (more of a man thing, though that is obviously changing, and not really apropos for non-squad situations). The other is based around the ubiquitous fair-isle gansy. This staple has been, and remains, widely used. Note its use by the fiddle groups, museum staff, and indeed the SMUHA galley pullers.

... I would suggest the male and female outfits worn by the traditional Shetland dance group.

Interesting, not a gansy in sight.

...would this not be better and more meaningful?.

Meaningful? Meaning what?

Kavi it is not that you don't have the right to express opinion, you are starting to hurt people's feelings with your comments.

I was part of yesterday's parade and was quite pleased the turn out for a Thursday morning where it eventually pis**d of rain. People took the day off work (some of us unpaid) to be a little part of history and you stood and watched thinking what you could complain about on shetlink.

Would the brass band topped it of for you?? Sounds a awful lot like it.

I say if you have a talent in any form or size bring it forward and be part of the show, it takes real commitment even if you just holding a flag to parade in front of cameras, a crowd of people, etc...

If your talent is to complain and nit pick every event best kept to yourself I think.

I am proud of what Shetland did for a day even if most people had to work or couldn't make it to Scalloway.

Na Kavi, du taks a hammerin 'cos du come across as bein entirely twisted. Sorry for bein honest. BUT, BUT eftir seein the Anders Breivik trial and the humanity of the Norwegian justice system (non confrontational justice, allow da accused to pit dir point across then realize most war criminals found guilty at the Hague choose to spend dir time in Norway) On this subject I am in agreement. We AA learn fae wir mistooks?"

There's simply no point in even trying to debate with you people so this will be my final post on the matter.

Once again.....the new Scalloway Museum is a fantastic effort and acheivement. I heard on the radio that Jack Burgess had raised an incredible £750,000 over the years towards the project. I would even say that, in its own way, it surpasses the Shetland Museum.

Mareel?. £11 Million and the doors aren't even open yet.

The opening was a remarkable event and to get(do I have to say this again?) Jens Stoltenberg was equally remarkable but also shows the affection that Norway has for the Shetland Bus Friendship Society and Shetland itself.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the bagpipes and jarl squad.

EM, more meaningful means, a) recognised as being a part of Shetland's overall identity, B) more appropriate and suitable for times of celebration, c) encompasses both male and female d) has a wider significance than a booze up/spree.

Finally, there may be some, but how many of the people on here who have criticised me even own a Norwegian flag?. And yes, I do.

You have torn into me for some of my thoughts but you have stooped lower with some of your comments some of which are gross and deeply personal. I never personalised the issue.

The new Scalloway Museum is a triumph for Shetland's history and heritage and I hope it flourishes and prospers for many years to come.

The Shetland Bus Friendship Society and the people and bairns of Scallawaa are to be congratulated for rising to such a special occassion.

There's simply no point in even trying to debate with you people so this will be my final post on the matter.

Once again.....the new Scalloway Museum is a fantastic effort and acheivement. I heard on the radio that Jack Burgess had raised an incredible £750,000 over the years towards the project. I would even say that, in its own way, it surpasses the Shetland Museum.

Mareel?. £11 Million and the doors aren't even open yet.

The opening was a remarkable event and to get(do I have to say this again?) Jens Stoltenberg was equally remarkable but also shows the affection that Norway has for the Shetland Bus Friendship Society and Shetland itself.

Yes, all incredibly impressive, and I'm confident nobody disagreed with you there.

Finally, there may be some, but how many of the people on here who have criticised me even own a Norwegian flag?. And yes, I do.

I don't. How would that affect the validity of my comments in any way, shape or form? You were called out for being far too critical of a community funded and volunteer run event, that a lot of people with already very busy schedules committed even more of their lives to this; we should be applauding every one of them, not whinging about minor details like brass bands.

You have torn into me for some of my thoughts but you have stooped lower with some of your comments some of which are gross and deeply personal. I never personalised the issue.

You did, to some extent. You were criticising Shetland's response in general, and given this is a board almost entirely populated by Shetlanders...

Responses like these make it appear like you don't quite realise how your comments might be perceived by others - if you're not intentionally looking to offend perhaps you should have a read over what you type before clicking submit in future.

The new Scalloway Museum is a triumph for Shetland's history and heritage and I hope it flourishes and prospers for many years to come.

The Shetland Bus Friendship Society and the people and bairns of Scallawaa are to be congratulated for rising to such a special occassion.

All very true, glad we can all agree on that.

Kavi, I agree with you that the Scalloway project is something to be applauded by the whole of the Shetland community and, I believe, it is.

However, your attitude appears to be (given your many comments elsewhere on this site regarding all things Norwegian as well as on this thread) that Shetlanders are somehow apathetic and culturally backward if they do not share your own personal great enthusiasm for all things Norwegian.

Another Norwegian article about about the 17 May, this time the nephews of two Shetland Bus men who paid their respects at the Shetland Bus memorial in Scalloway.

http://www.firdaposten.no/lokalnytt/article6070342.ece

The old bank longliner lay docked in Scalloway in celebration of National Day.

Among the crew was Bard and John Grotle from Bremerton. They laid down a beautiful bouquet decorated with birch nyutsprungen from the home page in memory of his farbrørne, John Bard and Olaf Grotle Grotle, skipper on either boat that went down during the war. Two young men who sacrificed their lives for their country.

This made the strongest impression on the many who went in the 17th May train to the memorial stone erected in honor of all Norwegian who had their base in Scalloway, Shetland. No place could be better opportunities, so full of memory of what freedom can cost in a time of war.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg were among the guests. He gave a speech and laid a wreath, and at the same time he opened the new Scalloway Museum.

During his stay had "Hauge Fish" open boat with an exhibition on the table, which was seen by a total of 65A ruff 0 visitoArs

A ruff Translation