Shetland in top 10 UK retirement locations

admin

Do you think Shetland is a good place for retirement?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Shetland is a good place for retirement?

• Yes
    • It's OK
    • No

Shetland was voted 7th best UK retirement location in a poll conducted by Yours magazine, beaten to the top spot by Skegness. Do you think Shetland is a good place for the retired. Maybe it's the long, dark winter nights and severe weather? Or is it the friendly locals, beautiful scenery and lack of crime?

-Links to articles on the subject

Shetland life is a winner for the retired from The Scotsman

Devon resort good for retirement from BBC news

Skegness is UK's first resort for retirement from The Edinburgh News

I lived in Edinburgh for many years, and Shetland is certainly a great place for OAPs compared to there. Many of the older people I knew were scared to go outside during the day, let alone at night.

I realise that there a a few little sh*ts who hang around the cross in Lerwick issuing abuse to passers by, but it's nothing compared to most cities, or even medium sized town. I have never heard of an old person being mugged, burgled or attacked in any way up here. I think Shetland young-uns actually do have respect for the old people, more than can be said of most areas of the UK.

Guest Anonymous
The social work provision and health care also make Shetland a good place for older folk. I often think people do not realise how well off we are here.

i wonder if the day they come of the boat they know they can pocket £250 every chirstmas has anyting to do with it.

id bring in a 5 year rule before any one gets it. then i would only give it as heating or power tokens paied streight to the power compony of there pleasing as credit.

Then i would means test it - we have tones of very welthy old people, ex business people with plenty in the bank that done or never realy need the extra.

Pluss i would think about all the alcoholics and druggies in the isles who qualify for this money too. I dont mind an old person getting money to keep themselves warm in the winter but i do grudge it being spent on drink and drugs. How do i know? - i have had 2 haloholics in my family and they used to have some party the 2 weeks after the bonus came in!

Another consequence of shetland becoming a retirement haven is the now common practice of people reaching a certain age on the mainland and selling up, enabling them to bid silly money for local houses that otherwise would sell to younger people for reasonable prices.

It happened right up the west coast of scotland and now it's happening here.

Maybe we should instigate an off-island house bidding tax eh?

That is of course until i decide to buy, live in and later sell property sooth at great profit to retire with 100k nest egg myself.. :wink:

The social work provision and health care also make Shetland a good place for older folk. I often think people do not realise how well off we are here.

i wonder if the day they come of the boat they know they can pocket £250 every chirstmas has anyting to do with it.

id bring in a 5 year rule before any one gets it. then i would only give it as heating or power tokens paied streight to the power compony of there pleasing as credit.

Or, you could just round all the incomers up with pitch-forks, and then burn them in a giant wicker badger.

Shouldn't think so ...

At least I don't think it would be the most important reason. I'd have thought cheaper housing, clean(er) environment, comparitive safety and ex-shetlanders returning home would be more decisive in a decision to retire in Shetland.

• 1 month later...

Or, you could just round all the incomers up with pitch-forks, and then burn them in a giant wicker badger.

now now i don't think