Mutton

^^ Not to nitpick, but your history and geography is a bit off.

"Faroes" is like saying "Shetlands". I'll let "Fair Isles" go as a typo though.

In a historical context "Dutch" refers to parts of both present day Holland and Germany. The lines have become blurred with the realigning of national borders and the retelling of stories over the years. As for the Spanish "occupying" Fair Isle and spreading their genes, while the latter is not impossible, I think figuring out how to stay alive was much higher up their list of priorities than conquering the locals, either physically or genetically. There's probably more truth in the old story that many natives of Cunningsburgh are of Spanish descent, but I'll leave it up to our local Archivist to offer a professional opinion on that one.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Em, I took that as read, but yup.

I would have thought that the Spanish would have moved up to Shetland, a colony would probably exist.

I don't know how true it is that they influenced the knitting pattern on Fair Isle.

The surnames speak as well about the variety of folk who moved to Shetland, and some time ago.

I like the way many of us are related to an immigrant fiddler from Unst.

What I have enjoyed is the educational side of this string/thread.

• 2 years later...

Shetland has such strong cards to play but they won't they just seem content to accept the scraps thrown to them by the government .Sure they will moan and groan but when it comes down to it we will do nothing to force change .They must be putting something in the water to make us all so docile. 

Edited by redrobbie

Shetland has such strong cards to play but they won't they just seem content to accept the scraps thrown to them by the government .Sure they will moan and groan but when it comes down to it we will do nothing to force change .They must be putting something in the water to make us all so docile. 

Crazy to see Robinson being interviewed (Shetland News) pleading Shetland's poverty being imposed at the hands of Edinburgh.

Fair enough as everybody else seems to be in the same boat but, there was not a mention of the fact that we are sitting on a large amount of Oil, Gas and, Food which, at this moment, everybody needs.

Why did he not issue the magic words;

"We are going to have a referndum and, to hell with you"

A positive vote and, they would have to but OUR Oil, OUR Gas and, OUR Fish.

He needs to grow a pair and stop trying to play 'behind the scenes'  politics with people who would have him for breakfast.

Is The SIC not a fully dependant arm of ScotGov, living off scraps from their table. They probably have to play it carefully (tugs forelock). If Shetland was to have some form of devolution/ indy then it would need  new blood to rule methinks. and there lies the problem

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/shetland-islands-council-resign?recruiter=30548335&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

At least somebody is trying. Most Shetlanders might just dismiss this as "Ach, hit will never happen" and think back to Stuart Hill's crazy antics over the years which I think is a shame and could possibly lead to a great opportunity being missed.

Few are afraid to voice their opinions on school closures, other council cuts and ridiculous money wastage. If we could divert the energy spent lamenting about Shetlands problems in to a real effort to bring about change then it may actually happen.

Wake up Shetland!

Is The SIC not a fully dependant arm of ScotGov, living off scraps from their table. They probably have to play it carefully (tugs forelock). If Shetland was to have some form of devolution/ indy then it would need  new blood to rule methinks. and there lies the problem

If you look at recent campaigns in the past, they may produce the ringleaders you need, many I believe are from the South.

Shetland has interests in many things, so, who ever does this would have to show a fantastic amount of charisma and long sight. Perhaps someone is just waiting for the right push?

Snip...

At least somebody is trying. Most Shetlanders might just dismiss this as "Ach, hit will never happen" and think back to Stuart Hill's crazy antics over the years which I think is a shame and could possibly lead to a great opportunity being missed.

Few are afraid to voice their opinions on school closures, other council cuts and ridiculous money wastage. If we could divert the energy spent lamenting about Shetlands problems in to a real effort to bring about change then it may actually happen.

Wake up Shetland!

A reasonable comment, thought, with the guff that is spouted on here by some, who ever it is will never suceed, in their eyes.

Though, I wonder if the continuing "independant" status of councillors should still be accepted as far as their political thoughts go. At least the Lib Dems are standing for you in the South, that must make folks feel proud to be part of at least some collective.