Shaetlan on the forum?

icepick239

Mods wid yu please sort oot dis eens dat ir obviously tryin ta steer da shyt!! som o'wis want ta spik shaetlan an shoodna be crucified fur hit!!! if yu cana read hit den duna!

i hae a few englesh an scots pals an dae hiv niffir treaded me lik a 2nd rate citizen in MY AIN LAND....

You just don't get it do you.

Some of us think that this is a very important thread. Our school is going to be closed and other things are happening in Scalloway that are also going to affect the community.

Although you have only been registered for 4 days (and have made 20+ postings in that time), nobody is treating you as a second class citizen and, it's our land as well as yours.

You have had a couple of requests to post in plain English, I just wish you would do so.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one comment.

It's pretty offensive to denigrate Shetlanders for seeking to use their own tongue in their home isles! Shaetlan has no standard written form, so it's difficult to say whether any particular word is portrayed rightly or wrongly.

If anybody can't make the effort to try to understand it, fair enough. A personal choice. Complaining about it being used is where a deep ignorance lies, though - is there a Shaetlan word for ethnocentrism? Dir bluidy weel suid be, boys!

Nothng wrong with posting in Shaetlan if that's how you want to post; we have a section especially for it and it's good to encourage this kind of thing. However, it is doubly more difficult to read when typing, punctuation, grammar and spelling are not accurate. Some extra effort on these points would make a huge difference. Good goes for English too, of course, but doubly so where dialect is concerned.

I really enjoy reading well written dialect, but poorly constructed it is a nightmare to pick through.

Nothng wrong with posting in Shaetlan if that's how you want to post; we have a section especially for it and it's good to encourage this kind of thing. However, it is doubly more difficult to read when typing, punctuation, grammar and spelling are not accurate. Some extra effort on these points would make a huge difference. Good goes for English too, of course, but doubly so where dialect is concerned.

I really enjoy reading well written dialect, but poorly constructed it is a nightmare to pick through.

Dir nae herm in postin in Shetlan on ony o da treeds in ony wye you fin best . Whit wi dunna need is da lek o da twa witless thveits dat wir on da Scallawa Skule treed da streen wi dir fulemak o Shetlan spek. We ken dat dey tink dat dey ir better dan da byre-runnik dey ooged oot o, bit dat dusna gie dem da right tae sharg an trep aff-topic dat dey ken better dan idder fok.

As an incomer to Shetland, I always make an effort to read the posts written in dialect and have no idea as to whether the dialect is accurate or not. I reckon that, after some 3 years here, I can understand about 60% of the point of view being put across but the other 40% is often a complete struggle and I then give up.

I would imagine that there many non-native Shetlanders (I don't like the term soothmoothers at all) who probably struggle like me and thus we are being excluded from fully participating in the discussion which seems a tad pointless within a forum that is available to a wider population than just those born here.

I have no problem whatsoever with the Shetland accent; indeed I love hearing it.

If you cannot appreciate the point I am making in my previous post then that is your choice to do so. Nobody is seeking to stop you speaking/and or writing in dialect but you should appreciate that you are limiting the numbers of those likely to respond to such postings in Shetlink.

Perhaps the moderators could set up a forum section which is intended to be wholly for those wishing to write in dialect. It shouldn't bar those wishing to write in English, in response to a thread, but at least it would stop comments arising that ask you to do likewise.

Perhaps the moderators could set up a forum section which is intended to be wholly for those wishing to write in dialect.

That's what this section is: "Shetland's written and spoken form". We even have buttons for all the diacritical marks too. ;)

(Not that I have any idea how some of these are pronounced; it looks like a chapter from a Steig Larrson novel on the toolbar (O_o) )

;)

Nobody is seeking to stop you speaking/and or writing in dialect

Not true. Colin is quite clear on the point that he doesn't wish people to write in dialect

but you should appreciate that you are limiting the numbers of those likely to respond to such postings in Shetlink.

I do appreciate that, I don't think any shetland-speakers have disputed that point, but I could be wrong.

I'm sort of stunned at the posts slating folk for writing in dialect!! I'm a 'soothmoother' :lol: but enjoy seeing everyones dialect posts! Maybe takes a bit longer to read, quite often learn new words along the way, I have two Shetland bairns so why would I not want to read, understand and occasionally even write and use their native tongue.

There's been a huge drive on to bring Shetland dialect back in to a wider use among the Shetland bairns after for many years they got trouble for using it in the classroom!!! There should be no reason at all for any person to struggle with Shetland dialect, plenty of resources for learning any new words...

^^ As another soothmoother I agree - it is perfectly fine if people want to write in the Shetland dialect, in a Shetland forum.

It does take me longer to read than English, however. Is this also true for indigenous Shetland folk?

Christ almighty why does it bother you so much?

Let them write the way they want. I tend tae ignore some o da posts(Shetland dialect) as whits written in dim is usually intended tae aggravate and get a reaction!

Also some of the replies from a couple of the posters above are usually based on sarcasm which as we all know is the lowest form of 'wit' in which I to sometimes participate in! :wink:

Just say nothing and let them get on with it!

Chees