• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was actually the first post:

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179008&highlight=#179008

chwin

Translation please?

(BTW - the pesky animated 'Furniture Village' advert at the top of the page is using up a gazillion processor cycles and slowing down my typing so much I've had to switch to Notepad!)

Ah, yes, I get the point now. That post seems to me to be Viking74 'finding his feet' in deciding what form of language to post in - it begins as a sort of uncomfortable switching between Shetland and standard forms. Maybe the fact that the later post I found doesn't do this shows how practice leads to an increased degree of competence in the chosen medium.

As for 'chwin' - my current signatures, ie:

Da ene at gaengs da fardest ahaed will be da first ta faa ower da banks.

Dem yt oags up ersys swdny windyr chwin de'r shytn wt.

are examples of (a) Shaetlan spelt as I usually do, and (B) spelt experimentally with conventions based broadly on Welsh, where initial 'ch' is pronounced as in 'loch', not as in 'cheese'. Does that make it understandable?

(Also, 'y' in Welsh is - usually - pronounced more or less like the 'a' in Shetland 'da' or the 'e' in English 'the', and 'w' is often a vowel, pronounced 'oo')

I must admit I'm a bit lost here, though. I wonder if you could you explain what you mean a bit further?

I cin remebir bak as aerly is 1990! hearin da rumblins o'closin da scallawa secundry dept!, da mighty toon his aey wantid dis ta happen an dir no gaen ta let hit ging noo...i joost hoop hit comes bak ta bite dem in da a**!

bit b den da eejiits lik da verbal terrorist wills an robinsun an co. will a hae o retired dir pokets spillin owir wi gold an dir wil b nae combak on dem...

nixt plan is close tingwall an burra wait yu an see dis is been on da caerds fur mony a year noo....

I mainly meant the first post of his/hers in this thread, which isnt actually his post but a quote by Icepick. If someone had posted this in English with the same grammar they would likely have got pulled up for that too as there are a fair few of the Grammar police here, and a lot of vikings choices as to how to scribe in Shetland err towards the shortest form in this post which is why I was reminded of texting.

More dialect posts the better, i enjoy reading em.

Seems like some people would want the Queens English (or American English) to be the only language in existence. Now that would be a fairly boring world to live in.

Ireland has a much better approach and attitude to everything in my experience

Posters should realise that, this may be a Shetland forum but, it's read by an awful lot of others as well.

Posting in your 'native' tongue and expecting everyone else to pat you on the back for it is just ignorance.

For my part, I come to this forum precisely because I want to read text in "their 'native' tongue" as you put it.

More dialect posts the better, i enjoy reading em.

Seems like some people would want the Queens English (or American English) to be the only language in existence. Now that would be a fairly boring world to live in.

Nach fíor sin!

('Ain't that the truth!')