102 members have voted

1. 1. Thatche- good or evil

• Good
    • Evil

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we have a few more options on the poll please?

I leaning towards an "Unfortunate consequence of her predecessors" option. :lol:

You think you had it bad, she sold the power, water, phone and electric companies back to some of the people who already owned them, and they barely realised it. Now, that took salesmanship worthly of note. :wink: Worse than that, the folk who already owned them, who weren't suckered in to buying something from her they already owned, never raised any meaningful opposition. That in itself was sheer brillance! :shock:

^^ It helped the country by putting money in the coffers left empty by those that went before her. On moral and ethical grounds, and perhaps on legal ones as well, it was dubious, as she was selling something that arguably wasn't her's to sell, and it was nothing more than a tax on those who voulnteered to pay it, their only "gain" being the calculated risk that the shares would earn for them in the future.

Everybody lost at the start, those who bought shares had in effect paid twice to own the same thing, and those who didn't buy shares had lost ownership of something they as collective "taxpayers" had already paid for. I suppose it could be argued everybody "won" in the end as it helped reduce the national debt on which taxpayers were paying repayments and interest payments, and helped resurrect the economy, but all in all it was a very murky and chancy exercise from beginning to end.

On a personal level I cannot stand the old bat, I couldn't stand her the minute I saw her first sometime around '79, and that feeling has become steadily more entrenched ever since. I do begrudingly admit though that she took a country that was on its knees and got it hauled back on its feet again, even if her methods would have been more in keeping with an Only Fools & Horses script.

Lets just say, she produced desirable results when you compare what she inherited with what she passed on, outside of that the quicker a thick veil is drawn over the person and her methods the better.

When I was young she stole my milk. One day there was milk, the next day there was not. Evil witch. :twisted:
Or alternatively she took a sensible decision that in a country were people were on the whole eating better she removed something that had its place in the past but was no longer relevant. Or alternatively from some kids point of view she stopped them having to drink that disgusting stuff that teachers forced them to drink.

I definitely preferred her to Blair.

My dad couldn't afford to support me going to college and she slashed the education budget and I got turned down for a grant. Before anyone carps on about sounding familiar, one of the first things Labour/Blair did was abolish VAT relief on college/university fees.

I went on the steel and coal marches. I met Arthur Scargill who was a right sexist and arrogant man. Thatcher got totally blamed for the fact that whole communities were going to be destroyed by the pits closing yet people conveniently forget (Probably due to so little media coverage of the fact) that her Government applied to the EU for substantial aid for those communities and the EU turned them DOWN.

I didnt like her at the time, but totally agree with GR in her achievements, however dodgy the methods may have been.

I can never forgive her for being the first to spout man made global warming as a political weapon though. Just look at the money thats been wasted since.

But yeah, plenty of faults, but I can;t think of anyone since who I would prefer - compared to her they've all seemed weak.

An evil witch. I have friends whose relatives went to school with her. An awful person even as a child I gather.

Thatcher knew exactly what she was doing when she destroyed the mining industry, and her actions tore the heart and soul out of the part of South Yorkshire / North Notts I grew up in.

I'll not be mourning her passing when she finally shuffles off this mortal coil.

Guest Anonymous

I think you can blame scargill for ripping the heart out of the miners. hes still screwing them living rent free in a very upper class house in London paid for by the union, ( part time of course he has another very large house up in Yorkshire I think) and even going to court with expensive lawyers to fight eviction.

Know your enemy for he is closer than you think

can't remember who said it but by god it is true in this case.

Guest Anonymous

do you remember the 3 day week imposed on every one by the miners striking?

Do you remember the dockers strike and the boats not being loaded with food for Shetland?

Do you remember the Blackouts when the power workers were on strike?

Do you remember the car workers downing tools and the influx of Jap cars?

Do you remember the seaman's strike called by prescott and the British ship register shrinking like a fair isle gansy in a hot tub?

All long before Thatcher was in charge. the left wing and the unions destroyed Britains economy Thatcher saved it then you muppets voted for blair and we are in even deeper poop than we were in 1979.

Well thank you very much, is it any bloody wonder folks that have worked hard and made something piss off at the first opportunity.

^^ Yup, yup, and RAF Hercules flying in emergency stocks of essentials food supplies, yup, yup, "rot before your eyes" Datsun 100A's, 120Y's, 160B's, Toyota Corollas, sundry Mazdas etc....they've all come a long way. Well, Toyotas have, not so sure about Nissans or Mazdas, yup, and yup, well said.

Scargill was, and probably still is an egotistical meglomaniac, if the finger of blame for destroying the mining industry has to be pointed at one person, its him. He had a good line in pure b/s that suckered in all of those that were too close to the wood to see the trees, and he used their support to feather his own nest and swell his own head, and in doing so killed the industry, and betrayed and back-stabbed the very people who through their support put him to where he was and kept him there. Sadly, his line of b/s was so good many of them have yet to see what exactly he did, they're still caught up believing all the firey propoganda the NUM (aka. Scargill, for he and the union were one and the same, they did what he said, and without him the union would have been a toothless wonder).

If anyone can listen to one of Scargill's tirades from the 70's and not either question the man's sanity, or cynically accuse him of only being interested in furthering his own "fame" and worldly possessions, at the cost of the workers and industry he was supposed to be fighting for and protecting, I really don't know what world they're living on.

Currently our past Prime Minister is demented and wearing nappies in a nursing home. God bless her!

Party in Trafalgar Square first Saturday after she goes 6pm!

There is also one in George Square Glasgow!http://libcom.org/forums/events-and-announcements/party-trafalgar-square-london-when-maggie-thatcher-dies

I can never forgive her for being the first to spout man made global warming as a political weapon though. Just look at the money thats been wasted since.

President Nixon was taking climate change seriously back in 1969. Thatcher first mentioned it around 1989, if I remember correctly.