Money saving amatuer looking for top tips to cut costs

rarebit

Beware of "half price" offers. Some of them might be too good to be true. Like who would ever buy the product at full price?. See a lot of wine at "half price" but that is half the price the store has offered it at in a couple of branches and may not have sold any at that price.

And beware of reductions from RRP (recommended retail price). Some of those prices are simply a high price shown by the makers so that the product can be sold at a "discounted" price. Cheap socks sold on market stalls are a good example of this but there are plenty of other examples including some decent quality brands.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too always add a bit of water to all my fruit juices and it really doesn't take away much from the flavour but is better for you and makes it last longer! You should also open a savings account and set up a standing order from your current account into it. You don't have to be transferring much but it soon adds up and having it set up to do it by itself means you don't even have to think about it.

most bus companies in shetland use farecards (though a different card for each company) they are well worth it even if you only use the buses in bad weather (or the night buses once in a blue moon) for a return trip to town I save £1 or a fiver for a working week, even the odd 20p saved for a toonservice trip soon adds up. Plus there's the advantage of not having to find something smaller than a twenty when you're running late of a morning.

Another supermarket one - Larger packets are not always the cheapest way to buy a product. All the PoS labels (Point of Sale) should carry a price per 100g it can be quite an eye opener.

oh and remember if the PoS says one price and your till receipt says another then you have every right to ask for the difference back.

remember if the PoS says one price and your till receipt says another then you have every right to ask for the difference back.

Yes........and no. Certainly worth checking that the price charged at the checkout is the price shown on the shelf edge and generally speaking supermarkets will refund the difference (or more) if you have paid too much. But it is not an absolute right to buy an article for the price shown on the shelf edge. The law does recognise that human error is possible and all a store has to do is say sorry, give you your money back if you have paid and take back the product. Try buying a laptop for £2.49 instead of £249 and you will see what I mean.

Oh, and make your own yogurt. If, like me, you live in a very drafty council house where nowhere is actually warm enough to make it the traditional way one of these is a good investment. I make mine using the small tubs of organic YeoValley natural yogurt as a starter and use full fat UHT milk (£4 for a case of 6). Save a tablespoon from the previous batch for the next lot. I use it for breakfasts, baking, curries, frozen yogurts, etc. Making our own saves us a fortune at the rate we go through natural yogurt.

Turn everything on stand-by off at night.

Turn off heating in rooms that are unused.

Washing is done on cold wash with 1/2 amount of washing powder/liquid stated. Dry things on a line rather in a tumble dryer.

Put things that are defrosting in the fridge the night before so they are keeping the temp down.

I save quite a bit by waiting till my preferred brand of toilet paper is on BOGOF and fill the wardrobe / under the bed with it.

Buy lots of anything non-perishable / long-dated on half price or BOGOF offers, and keep in a cupboard. Coffee, soap, toothpaste, shower gels etc etc. Also check things like filled-pasta packs and anything that has the 'Suitable for home freezing" symbol on special offer.

Freezing soups made with cut price veg- I put single portions in cut down milk cartons with a wee food-bag inside.

I'm not sure, but I think making your own bread has to work out cheaper? Tastes better anyway, and Sourdough starter bread seems to keep longer.

I process any left over into crumbs and freeze in weighed bags for making savoury crumbles / bread sauce/ nut roasts / winter bird-feeding etc.

If you have had the oven on for one thing, bake off or heat up something else whilst it is still hot. Eg roasting sunflower & pumpkin seeds after the oven goes off after cooking a pizza- perfect heat & time.

Shopping for clothes etc on Ebay and in local charity shops is a lot cheaper. A lot of the stuff is brand new or hardly used /worn.

A lot of folk seem to dry their washing from wet in the tumble dryer these days - hanging clothes out on a line / whirlie is free! You just have to plan ahead by watching the weather forecasts...

Someone mentioned driving slower- I have seen a Big odds in my fuel consumption by keeping at 50-60mph.

Thanks Kjitarah for the Food Waste site link! Some great ideas there!