Swear filter

EM

How could the Shetlink swear filter be improved?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How could the Shetlink swear filter be improved?

• Keep it as it is, automatically replacing swearing with silly words
    • Just get rid of it
    • Replace swearing with highlighted "Deleted" text
    • Captain Haddock in red

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All for Captain Haddock, but not the highlighting in red thing. I'm sure even those who do find it impossible to express themselves without swearing don't usually find the need to draw attention to each and every swearword. The beauty of the filter is that it doesn't draw any attention to anything and lets people post whatever they want.

I don't see a need to highlight swearing in the posts, if anyone has the capability to set up an account and post to threads they should be able to articulate themselves in such a way that swearing isn't necessary. Not going to be a hypocrit because there are a few of my posts where sausage appeared instead of another word that may be offensive to some but it doesn't start with f or c :lol:

That one may be construed as just plain Mod mischief. It's a fair point GR. It also prevents me from reporting that there was a Blue moomin in the garden this morning.....

.....there wasn't, of course, but there might have been. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

what some folks consider as swear words are actually words that have been in the English language for years and as such are part of common speech. They are only considered swear words by the puritanical in society because they describe bodily functions and the act of reproduction.

A swear filter is just censorship.

Keep replacing the swearing with silly words, but change the colour to red. At the same time use a rand() to choose the word from a new list of replacements. I would suggest that there could surely be no better source of amusing sanitized curses than Captain Haddock:

http://www.tintinologist.org/guides/lists/curses.html

Win!

I agree also. I actually enjoy trying to work out what swear word the poster has used, but then again, i'm easily amused :lol:

C U Next Tuesday :wink:

Keep replacing the swearing with silly words, but change the colour to red. At the same time use a rand() to choose the word from a new list of replacements. I would suggest that there could surely be no better source of amusing sanitized curses than Captain Haddock:

http://www.tintinologist.org/guides/lists/curses.html

EM - that suggestion has the subtle stench of genius about it !! Gets my vote, for sure :)

A dictator's wishes are usually imposed on a populace who have no say in the matter.

The swear filter (censorship, perhaps, but in the most modest of forms) was something we have all had a free choice in agreeing to, as a pre-condition of signing up to have an account on Shetlink.

In short:

A dictator imposes his terms and conditions, whereas we have all had a free choice in accepting the censorship on Shetlink.

Hardly the same thing?