Panorama

snow

Private Care Homes

anyone who watched the Panorama documentary last night? The families should sue the company who are making £90.000000 a year out of the pain and misery they have been inflicting on these vulnerable people.

The Goverment in their infinate wisdom took away the Independent Living Fund last year through a back door move and this was the allowance that gave Vulnerable Adults the funds to enable their families to buy in the care needed to keep them at home with the support that they need and are entitled to.

The goverment pay these Private homes £3.600 per week per resident and yet if a family wish to keep their loved ones with them at home they are paid £56 per week and if the family are on benefits that is cut to around £13 per week.

I am sure it would be more cost effective to pay the family a decent amount weekly that would allow them to buy in the care that is needed and the support that is si vital in all of these families.

I brought my son home out of what was supposed to be a Residential College for "Special Needs" his care was abominable and I caught them out through doing a couple of unanounced visits and on one occasion found them fighting over food.

When I blew the whistle on this place they all closed ranks includung the care commission.

My son is home and Shetland provide him with an excellent standard of support and he is now a much happier lad who has made lots of friends and has an absolutely wonderful carer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13548222

Police in Bristol have arrested four people after secret filming by BBC Panorama found a pattern of serious abuse at a residential hospital.

Nice to see things have changed in the last 20years. It was one of the few "good points" of "Care in the Community" the end of institutional abuse within the state run hospitals and asylums. At 17 it was quite an eye opener to see the after effects of adults who'd grown up within the system. Now they get the same within "Private Care Facilities".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13548222

Police in Bristol have arrested four people after secret filming by BBC Panorama found a pattern of serious abuse at a residential hospital.

Nice to see things have changed in the last 20years. It was one of the few "good points" of "Care in the Community" the end of institutional abuse within the state run hospitals and asylums. At 17 it was quite an eye opener to see the after effects of adults who'd grown up within the system. Now they get the same within "Private Care Facilities".

Yeah it's pretty horrendous when you watch the video. These are completely harmless and innocent people.

I was in a Camphill Community, and I can assure you that would not have happened within ours. I know there was problems at one of the schools (without naming names) but most of those issues have been sorted out. I know that now by Camphill standards I'd never have been accepted as a coworker. I've spent a lot of time in and around Camphill since, in the City and Shire and I can assure you that the alternatives (what few are left now) would not be something I'd ever want to put a member of my family through.

plus I think you should watch, ALL Camphill co-workers from overseas have some experience in the field, most are students doing their placement for social work. Most houses, give generous allowances as well as board and keep.

Not all co-workers are from overseas, most house parents are more qualified than the [*** Mod edit - defamatory description removed***] kids with their HNCs working in care here in Shetland.

The gov should be introducing STANDARDS for support workers so anyone in the job should be trained and qualified and consequently paid an appropriate wage which would indicate they had a genuine interest in doing the job and wernt just using it as an alternative to working in macdonalds...these people are vile, and IMO sicker than those they are meant to be caring for!

those carers were not underpaid 18k is a good wage for that level of work. what was also worrying was not one of them the reporter claimed had any training. how could they work with folks with complex needs with no knowledge of the needs. this is more than just evil workers. sounds like the bosses were being very tight with training and if they were any good as an employer they would have caught this internally. its not an accident that the entire staff were cruel.

If I had a family member in one of there care centres I would be looking at moving them.