Car advice needed

scorie

I'm guessing that included return boat freight for the car as well....

I wouldn't care to pick a number, as I'm not up to speed on what garages charge....but it shouldn't really be more than a couple of hours charging time for a competent mechanic with the appropriate tools. Parts, it depends what make you're dealing with, genuine Jap spares tend to carry OTT tickets etc.

Just make sure you're not being ripped off twice, both for cost and for possibly un-necessary work. There's a very big difference between a wheel bearing that just needs tightening, and one that is knackered, but both have symptoms in common.

It seems garages are charging quite extortionate prices for seemingly trivial work nowadays. Also, spares are priced much higher than their actual value, as cars are so much more reliable nowadays. This is the new way manufacturers - of not only cars - make an income.

I'd check on the internet to see how cheap the replacement spares can be bought elsewhere, Euro car parts perhaps. Also, ask how much the garage charges per hour. Some will charge for 2 people, at perhaps £40 each or more per hour.

I was informed recently that a friend left his car in Aberdeen to have new brake discs & pads fitted all round to a volvo while the family were away on holiday. After their return home, received a bill for the completed work, of over £1000.

Most cars nowadays are front wheel drive. The bearings will be sealed units which will require hydraulic pressing out & back in to fit. This can only take place after perhaps timely stripping down of the front suspension. The price could be realistic.

My son had to replace the front wheel bearings on his 7-year old V40. The parts - from Autosave, not Volvo - were £214 and it took him and his half-brother quite a while to do it all - although they do have a pit and the pressing gear. So that quote, while high - will come with a full guarantee and manufacturer's parts etc - is maybe not entirely unrealistic.

Now I know why our entire extended family drives Volvos - 5 of them amongst us - because they have learned how to repair them and don't want to have to start again with the Haynes manual...

Just the other week, had one of the front wheel bearings on our Mazda 6 changed. Total cost £120 which was very reasonable as the new bearing was £76 and they had a bit of a job getting the old one out. Not all garages are equal.

Just the other week, had one of the front wheel bearings on our Mazda 6 changed. Total cost £120 which was very reasonable as the new bearing was £76 and they had a bit of a job getting the old one out. Not all garages are equal.

Yip, this is closer to the mark, i had one done last year for around the same price. A wheel bairing bought on the internet will be around £35, my local garage charged me £70, nice little mark-up for them. That price you got is absolutely ridiculous.

quite alot of wheel bearings now come as sealed hub units which are bolt in. This saves on labour time as no press is needed but normally the bearings themselves can be expensive.Some even have abs sensors built in which will make them even more expensive. £649 seems like a very high price to me unless for an Audi or bmw. Also curious to know what kind of car you have?

Hi, The bearings on your car come as complete hubs with wheel studs and everything included. From Volvo easy £150+ per set, thats £300+ already then labour at about £50+ per hour then vat.......

Jims garage prob wont be much cheaper. Best option for you is to locate parts online, prob get OE quality at less than half the price, then get local garage with reasonable hourly rate to fit them for you, its not a complicated job, maximum 4 hrs.... Avoid dealerships unless you have deep pockets and money to burn, their rates are always extortionate and unjustifyable... A lot of dealerships use 'Car Parts Price Guides' regardless of how cheap the part costs them they will get the price from guide which will be slightly less than Volvo and charge you that, therfore your getting fleeced on the cost of parts for no apparant reason. Whoever you get to fix it you should locate the parts yourself, thus illiminating any mark up on parts.

regards..