finally,after the child rearing years...it maybe the "do what I`ve always wanted to..." years.

So having done several courses over the years,I am wanting to set up next spring...

I know there are bee keepers here in Shetland...are any of you on Shetlink?

I would love to chat to someone...maybe start an informal get together?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you do start keeping them, please make sure you are far away from any neighbours so that they don't have to put up with 'deposits' all over their houses, cars, laundry....

Well, you will keep these things outside :wink:

I have never heard of a problem with bee poo before, how devastating is it?

There used to be 2 I can think of. Haven't seen any honey in a while though. I dream of one day being able to keep bees (hate honey, just love bees) neeps forum has a wee section on bees, a few shetlanders on there but none that keep bees. But NE Scotland contacts maybe useful to you.

Bee 'deposits' are not 'devastating' but just very, very annoying. Especially when you have hung out a line of nice clean washing and find it covered in yellow marks. It's also of a waxy consistency so doesn't come off easily and all has to be washed again (sometimes more than once).

It's also infuriating when your house windows and car get covered in these yellow marks and even more infuriating when the beekeeper won't acknowledge the problem and try and do anything about it. (According to beekeeping guidelines there are various steps you can take to try and help minimise neighbour nuisance).

Yes, I know we need bees but I'm a bit of a nimby and just wish people wouldn't keep them in built up areas! (Apparently the variety of flowers in the town produce better honey but I wouldn't know as I have boycotted Shetland honey in protest!).

I believe the Shetland Honey that has been for sale in the Olive Tree is produced by Angus at Frakkafield, but I may be wrong on that so please correct me if so.

I've heard that Shetland is free of the varroa mite, so it would definitely be worth contacting a keeper here about it to ensure getting healthy bees and keeping the mites out.

I believe the Shetland Honey that has been for sale in the Olive Tree is produced by Angus at Frakkafield, but I may be wrong on that so please correct me if so.

Not sure about the Olive Tree but Angus' honey is in Scoop. I used to sell a lot of it in Oily Muggie. (Closed this summer to due to chemo, etc)

yes,sourcing bees will be a big problem,to avoid bringing in varoa.

Unfortunately colonies are unlikely to reach huge sizes here,so not many "internal " bees going spare.

I think its highly unlikely in Shetland that there will be much bee-keeping in town....so not a lot of bee poo!

but nature is nature,you cannot direct wild animal/insects where to poo.

Come sky high oil prices,with knock on costs on everything...honey will be very popular...and the tobacco i will be growing.

• 2 weeks later...
beekeepers can do things to influence their flight paths

sign posts?

and feed them in certain ways to help reduce deposits

poor bees are dieting (and even starving) in many parts of the world anyway which might at some point cause serious problems for mankind so I do think one can live with a little bit of devastating bee poo but one cannot live without the bees.