New Museum and Archives - Shetland During the War Section

Rourkes Drift

With the opening of the new museum and archives on the horizon, I am sure that there will be a distinctive section on Shetland during World War One and World War Two. Hopefuly this will be a proper designated section with audio visual etc.

However, more generally, this is part of Shetlands history which I often feel is overlooked. We always keen to speak about the fishing, social and 'norse' and now even oil history - all of which I am sure will be very well catered for in the new Museum and Archives. All of these are very deserving.

However, concentration Shetland during both wars is equally deserving. I am sure that it is given a pride of place, but perhaps not so that other areas since it perhaps is not so much linked to tourism. Looking at Orkney we can see how central both World Wars were to the history and development of that community. Ok, admitednly we did not have the UKs Naval base on our doorstep here in Shetland during both World Wars. Nevertheless, our local population was almost doubled during World War Two.

Equally, we were in a very very important strategic location in both World Wars- we only need to look at the guns at both ends of Bressay, Anderhill in Bressay, and Lambaness in Unst to see to what extent military bases were on our islands. The problem is though - we want to know more about these - and I don't think any thorough account has yet been done. What about the huge regiment of Local Gordon Highlanders who left our islands to go to World War One. Could not a temporary section at new M&A be dedicatd to them? Just a few examples.

Appart from some of the James W Irvine works, and the the David Howarth books, I don't feel that has been a proper, all an encompassing concise book written on Shetlands World War One/Two history. Certainly there have been many books, but all just paint different pictures rather than painting one big picture. Perhaps this is something that could be developed further when the new M&A gets fully off the ground..

Linked to the above, it would be good to see a book developed on the what various buildings throughout Shetland were used for during the war? I wonder to what extent the professionals have done any sort of audit of all the information that is out there? This could include information on tank traps such as those up Ladies Drive, what certain buildings were used for, as well as details of War Memorials, linkages to communities etc. etc.

Therefore, on this basis, would it not be a good idea for users of this forum to add some ideas and thoughts which the experts resopnsible for the new museum could tap into? Otherwise, as the years progress and people further are no longer with us, further records could be lost. I have full confidence that our excellent local Archives service has covered much of the information that I mention. However, it would be worth doing some further probing to see what is out there.

In addition, the new M&A could have a section dedicated to Shetlands participation in all wars - whethor this be the war with the Dutch; Napoleonic Wars and the The Boer War. WW1 & WW2 could perhaps be incorporated as part of this??

Lets see if we can give the professionals some further ideas and feedback.

Good points RD. I know the new Scalloway Museum will feature a section about wartime activity, but mostly in the context of the Shetland Bus. There was of course a lot more to even just Scalloways part to play than just that. It is still a source of much annoyance and perhaps even anger how the water board bulldozed the bunkers and gun emplacements at Port Arthur to put in a sewer pipe, and a dirt track road which is permanently locked to prevent anybody else using it, which is nice of them :roll:

Asides from the highly publicised slipway on westshore and Norway House there was also a slipway at the 'muckle yard" as far as i mind.

Anyhoo, there's heaps of stuff that is never mentioned. How about the plane crashes? The Clift Sound one is barely visble now (mostly scranned) some Burra folk must still have bits of it somewhere? The memorial to the Fitful one seems to be gone (cross on the cliff tops). The Foula one is said to be now hardly visible and yet if i recall correctly it was only last year or the year before that there was an article about the pilot returning in the ST?

The huge camp that was in the lea of the transmitters on Scousburgh hill is barely visible. In fact how many major transmitters were here? there must have been quite a few. Mossy hill should be more fully explained, it's pretty intriguing. In fact the whole of the Ness is crawling with camps and stuff.

Even just the rifle and mortar ranges are interesting (many a happy hour spent hocking for bullets and shells as a peerie boy)

Yeah, i think you're on to a good point here RD :)

The Clift Sound one is barely visble now (mostly scranned) some Burra folk must still have bits of it somewhere?

This one is on Rolfield in Cunningsburgh.

Originally posted on shetland-news.co.uk 29 March, 2005 by Pete Bevington

A SHETLAND history group is bridging the generation gap to bring the Second World War to life for the local children.

Cunningsburgh History Group has been awarded £14,000 by the Big Lottery Fund under their Home Front Recall Scheme, to find out how people in Cunningsburgh and neighbouring Quarff were affected by the war.

The ambitious project will bring schoolchildren together with people who remember living through the war years, encouraging them to relive their wartime experiences.

It will also strengthen the bond between the two neighbouring communities which were closely connected during the mid 20th century, but have drifted apart in recent years. Last year Quarff school closed and the 12 local children were sent to Cunningsburgh, reforging old links which this project will compound.

The wartime project will predominantly involve recording people’s personal memories of the era when troops were stationed in Shetland and everything was rationed even more than usual.

History group members and the top three classes at Cunningsburgh primary school will learn how to use recording equipment, and will be speaking to people who recall things like soldiers staying in local byres during military exercises.

There are also plans to organise history walks, including one to the top of Rolfield where a Mosquito fighter plane crashed, killing the pilot and co-pilot. Two wartime concerts are also to be staged.

Welcoming the award, history group chairman Douglas Halcrow said: “This grant is particularly encouraging for a relatively new organisation as it is our first major project. Our success over the past two years is demonstrated by the well-attended meetings and our healthy membership of over 60 folk including some school bairns.”

Lesley Simpson, head of Cunningsburgh school, said: “We are delighted to be joining the history group in recording the experiences of members of the community who experienced and lived through World War Two.

“Primaries 5, 6, and 7 will be studying the war as part of their environmental studies programme next term and participating in this project will help to bring the subject to life as the pupils learn how the war affected their community and the people living in it.

“It will also give the pupils the opportunity of hands-on experience using a variety of IT equipment and they will help to produce an exciting end-product that will have value to anyone wishing to learn more about the war and our community.

“I think here and now in Shetland we often think of wars as happening in other places to other people. Hopefully this project will help the next generation learn how precious peace is and how wars that begin in other countries can end up affecting us all.”

But yes I agree ... there could be more attention given to these historical gems. Even as near as the Cold War and the bunkers within this thread. I for one would love to have a guided tour around the one at Saxa Vord ... and would imagine it could certainly be an attraction to get more people to go up to Unst .. with knock on seasonal industry too.

Well I think Shetlanders themselves are more keen to see things related to the noble crofter-fisherman and such - and of course Vikings. The two world wars and the oil era just aren't as romantic, though they've probably had more impact on Shetland identity from a practical point of view than Vikings (other than modern reconstructions) have had.

Anyhoo, there's heaps of stuff that is never mentioned. How about the plane crashes?

I have a copy of the 'Shetland Crash Log' detailing loss of aircraft in World War II which was compiled by David Hanson (Whoever he is). It is quite an interesting read. I retyped it some time ago as the copy I had was starting to look the worse for wear. I can't see any problem with passing it on to anybody that would like to see it as the author does add that he welcomes any comments or further information.

I saw the memorial marker on Fitful maybe 3 years ago. Has it gone since then?

Do's obviously made a better job of going 'roond da banks' dan i have :oops: , it's longer since i was up last and i couldna see it.

& Pooks i be blyde to have a skoit at the crash log too :)

It is good to see the positive response and points made on this thread so far - very, very, interesting. Progress is already been made - and lets keep it coming.

Here are just a few more examples of areas that should be looked at: (and this is all information I have picked up word of mouth from elderly relatives, NOT via any local museum/archive service provision)

- War buildings out at the Ness of Sound - what were they all about??

- Apparantly duing World War Two, then certain parts of Lerwick were totally off bounds. (like other areas during the war) For example, around the back of Clickimin loch where there are old derelict war buildings and of course the collapsed old shooting range where bullets can still be found. What was the old concret war shelter at the bottom of the Staney Hill road all about? Clearly that was quite an important strategic area of Lerwick.

- A book was recently published entitled: North Atlantic at War. (I can't remember the author, although its on my bookehshelf!!) However, the book provides some excellent information about Shetland, Orkney and Faroe during World War Two. In this book, there is an excellent photograph of two high up British officers looking out on Lerwick and the Sooth mooth from the top of Staney Hill. It is amazing how in the passage of time, some things do not change. However, my point is that this photo alone shows just how important this area of Lerwick is, and how an invation was expected at one stage - with Shetland beings a likely stepping stone for the Germans onto the rest of the UK.

- The above is equally the case with Lambeness in Unst which would have obviously been the first port of call for any invasion from Norway. If you are ever at Skaw beach in Unst, take a walk out to the point past the beach and you will see another old war time building which must have been some kind of look out post for German activity?

- Some of the troops based here were based in nisson huts up the back of Haldane Burgess Cresent area, and also in the current George V playing fields.

- There was a German Heinkel attack over Lerwick early no in the war. One of the planes was shot down and the pilots captured. Who can tell any more about this?

- Does the Run Rabbit song really originate in Shetland? Who can tell us more??

- There is also a shooting range at the opposide from Voe across Olna firth voe. Who can tell us more about this?? Which troops trained there?

- Then of course the flying boats based at Sullom Voe? Who can also tell us more about this? In the book as mentioned above, there is a photograph of a service dance that was held in the Sullom area which gives indication as to the amount of activity that happened there during World War Two.

- In addition, was there not a German plane attack on Skerries lighthouse in which there were fatalaties? Equally, I am aware of a German mine that also came ashore at the Sletts in Lerwick killing a local man who happened to be passing?

All this information if there physically and mentally around us - but there is surely going to be a huge job brining it to life and ensuring that as much as possible is recorded. But, it will be worth it in the end.

Without running the risk of being labelled a hypocrite, we have a terrible tendency in this country to become obsessed with the war in the wrong context ie. we were the victors and we should be always proud of that. However, for our heritage is is important to find out more about all of these things and suitably record them surely (without running the risk of being labelled a trainspotter!!) :roll:

Is this the right forum for this?.......somebody please move it if not. I went to the Shetland Museum "whats new" page and found they were offering for sale the 2004 calendar.....hurry as it sells out quickly. So the museum has been closed but that is not a good excuse for not updating the web page.

With all due respect Just Me, to ask if this is the right forum for this topic is rather narrow minded in this instance. (although I understand to a degree where you are coming from)

This is a Shetlink site which discusses all matters and a whole range of issues about Shetland. You might as well look at every topic started on this site and question 'is this the right forum in which to discuss it - whethor it is politics, local events or music!!! If you want to take that line Just Me - and without wishing to get the wrath of our administrator - shouldn't music be discussed via the Shetland Music/Arts Trust website??

At the end of the day, if people are discussing issues which are relative to our local museum and archives via any avenue, then that is a good thing. I am sure ultimately the new M&A webpage could have a link to this site and vice versa?? All these matters are inter related at the end of the day. It is all part of the Shetland brand and package - whatever means that may be available.