Problems sleeping.

ISOT

Anyone got any good remedies or ideas for getting a good nights sleep?

I'm a very light sleeper but have terrible problems getting a good nights sleep. I have broken sleeps most nights and reckon I probably get about 6 hours max a night, certainly no more.

Cheers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CyprusPluto

Nytol is a good over the counter product. But don't use it often/every night, I did and got hooked on them for 10 years and had to wean myself off them.

But every now and then they're useful. The maximum dose with the 2-a-night can make you feel pretty groggy the next morning, but after an hour or so you come round and you'll know and feel you've had a good nights sleep.

Suggest you just use them once or twice a week. And perhaps buy the 2-a-night and only take one.

.....from someone who very rarely gets a full nights sleep.

Guest posiedon

Some of the possible side effects of Nytol.

* chest congestion

* constipation

* dizziness

* drowsiness

* dry mouth, nose, and throat

* headache

* inability to concentrate

* increased perspiration

* nausea or vomiting

* restlessness

* upset stomach

Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:

* decreased muscle coordination

* difficulty in passing urine

* excitation (especially in children)

* insomnia

* muscle weakness

* nervousness

* rapid heart rate

* vision problems

Stop taking the medication and seek immediate medical attention if any of the following occur:

* chest tightness

* skin rash or hives

* wheezing

Maybe a cup of Horlics or a wee dram would be safer. :shock:

Horlicks is made in a factory that handles peanut products, not as safe as you may think. It was also present in Malteasers.

It is also made from whey, so, if you are lactose intolerant you know the score. It also contains a little Salt, to enhance the taste, not much mind.

A routine or pattern is the best way, I stopped drinking or consuming caffeine products by 2 pm, a personal thing, my doctor suggested 6pm.

Physical activity will help.

Many sleep problems are in the head, a worry about stuff and so on.

Depression can be a big factor.

The light can play a part. This time of year it can be light most of the night. A good set of black out curtains may help.

Plenty of fluids and some Camomile infusion may help too.

Paul McKenna has some CDs that may help with stress and a lack of tiredness.

make yourself tired maybe?

I have a physical job and probably do a run of 6-8km a day at the moment plus a but if weight training so don't think I could make myself any more tired but thanks for the suggestion!

I think I'll stay clear of the Nytol but thanks for the suggestion. Might pop into healthcraft tomorrow for an alternative. Thanks to the rest of you for the constructive posts tho!

what time do you do your run? bear in mind that exercise is a stimulant to, so its best avoided too late in the evening. self hypnosis is good, you start at your feet, telling your toes to sleep,then slowly move up your body, a majority of people are asleep before they reach their head!! sounds daft maybe but it really does work for alot of folk!

what time do you do your run? bear in mind that exercise is a stimulant to, so its best avoided too late in the evening. self hypnosis is good, you start at your feet, telling your toes to sleep,then slowly move up your body, a majority of people are asleep before they reach their head!! sounds daft maybe but it really does work for alot of folk!

I make sure I'm out of the gym before 8pm when I do go and usually in the bed around 10.30pm although I do watch a wee bit of TV or surf the net for a while before bed so I'll cut that out for a few weeks and try it!

Cheers