Why does no one go to church??

Ok, there have been some very interesting, honest and sincere replies to the initial question.

How does everyone think that the church can give itself a role in society. For example, whenever there is a national disaster or moment of reflection, it seems that a lot of people do still turn to the church.

Therefore, surely we should not totally discard it in todays society. It still does have a role to play, but how can we recognise this role, and how can young people become enthusiastically involved or attend church - without being victimised as 'bible bashers'.?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it nae up to da individual tae reflect on and believe in whit dey lik? i'm aa fir folk haeing der religious beliefs or faiths or whitever, as lang as dey concentrate on living der ain lives as best dey can and actually put der belief intae practice rather as trying tae convert da masses.

religious belief is purely personal, and mair folk wid du gud tae remember dat.

Very good point Turrifield. A lot of the foundations mankind have been laid down through various religions, but equally through some of the great philosophers such as Socrates, Plato and John Stuart Mill.

But, I don't think that you can every discount religion and say it means nothing in todays society, just as you cannot say that we should 100% rely on it.

whither onyboady wants tae admit it or no, religion and religious beliefs have influenced, if not wholly been responsible, for our moral codes and by extension our laws.

da main problem wi religion however is da hypocrasy o somebody telling folk du shuldna dae this that or da next, while dey're at it demsels.

Hey, with all due respect Big Mouth....is quite a personal question and surely not an issue here. Lets just say that I am interested in the the church, or moreover religion generally. But, I would never preach anything to anyone else.

:lol:

No problem!

I have a straight to the point way of doing things :D

I have lived in a pretty rough area of Glasgow where "supposed" catholics and protestants commit violent crimes against one another in the name of their faith. I have also lived in the Southern US where the holier than thou southern baptists are judgemental and act in very non-christian ways. I find that no matter where I have lived where people practice and flaunt their religeon to an extreme that there is an awful lot of hipocrisy being practiced as well. It's just not for me!

I agree that many Christians (or religious fanatics generally) should practice more what they preach.

There is one important point here that non church goers often forget - and indeed church goers. Going to church does NOT suddenly make a person a better person, or a give them a right to judge others. Church goers and non church goers would do well to remember this. The former because it does NOT give them a right to judge others or be 'holier than thou'. The latter because they should not be afraid of going to church insofar as others should suddently judge them as 'going strange', or becoming a 'bible basher'.

Going to church is a matter of free will and normal activity in a democratic free society - just as it is going to the library, going to the gym or even going to the pub. On this basis, I don't think that people should be afraid of religion and challenge it head on. The church as definitely lost its way in todays society and has much work to do. But what makes it different are the people who go to it and can try and change it surely.

What do others think??

Interesting question, but just for clarity, when you say that people shouldn't be afraid of religion and challenge it head on, do you mean they should challenge it or not challenge it?

Personally I'm very worried by religious extremism, Christian Voice, The campaigns against Bezhti or Jerry Springer the Opera, the Religious Hatred Bill, The undue influence of religion in our schools, Samaritans purse, the overturning of the right to die legislation in the Lords, to say nothing of the Vatican's campaign of mistruth around African HIV sufferers using condoms.

Now, all of these might seem a million miles away from a few old biddies going along to the C of S of a sunday morning but it all falls under the umbrella of religion. Generally speaking I'll take Voltaire's line on freedom of expression, but there seems to be a good bit in religion to be afraid of.

New Magnie, I feel that people should not be afraid of religion generally, but feel free to challenge it within a liberal, democratic society (Iran excluded!!) If they have questions about it, ask them. I don't think that anyone says that the bible is black or white. For example, why is it some christians have different views upon drinking, sex before marriage and organ transplants. My point is that christians can't even agree, so there is nothing wrong with a person being a church/mosque/synagogue goer, (or whatever) but still openly challenging a lot of things that the bible or their religion says.

The point is to have faith is surealy a good thing - as long as it is not developed into extremism. I agree with your worries on religious extremism. But then, this is not isolated to religion. We have football hooliganism, educational minded extremists, political extremists. It is human nature to develop something perhaps, and then take it too far and become obsessed with it, and in turn often ruin it for others who enjoy it. I agree that there is much to be afraid of in religion, but there is also much we should welcome in terms of how we should treat and respect other human beings.

However, perhaps I am too much of an idealist!!!

Hatched, matched an dispatched. Bairns dunna git christened ony mair (no mony onywye). Fok can maerry onywye dye laek. Bit whit aboot funerals??? We dunna hae a crematorium locally. If we did, wid mair fok choose ta be cremated, I winder??