Why does no one go to church??

New Magnie, I feel that people should not be afraid of religion generally, but feel free to challenge it within a liberal, democratic society (Iran excluded!!) If they have questions about it, ask them. I don't think that anyone says that the bible is black or white. For example, why is it some christians have different views upon drinking, sex before marriage and organ transplants. My point is that christians can't even agree, so there is nothing wrong with a person being a church/mosque/synagogue goer, (or whatever) but still openly challenging a lot of things that the bible or their religion says.

The point is to have faith is surealy a good thing - as long as it is not developed into extremism. I agree with your worries on religious extremism. But then, this is not isolated to religion. We have football hooliganism, educational minded extremists, political extremists. It is human nature to develop something perhaps, and then take it too far and become obsessed with it, and in turn often ruin it for others who enjoy it. I agree that there is much to be afraid of in religion, but there is also much we should welcome in terms of how we should treat and respect other human beings.

However, perhaps I am too much of an idealist!!!

Thank you Rourkes Drift for your very sensible comments.

As you say, it is well known that christians disagree about many aspects of the outworking of their faith, so someone could be a christian or a churchgoer and still openly challenge a lot of the things that are said and done in the name of that religion.

I think the single most difficult thing for me as a christian when relating to non-christians is when it is assumed I am automatically alligned with this or that kind of christianity or history of christianity which they have found particularly offensive. Before even finding out my own views, I have been aggressively targetted as some kind of representative for things which they and I find reprehensible but I am somehow being taken as advocating just because I am "a christian".

I stopped attending church a year and a half ago after being completely convinced for many years that I would be spending the rest of my life in full-time christian work. It was and is a huge decision to leave the church, which I am still trying to work through.

It is apparent from my leaving the church that I am questioning many christian activites myself and I am not a spokesperson claiming to have the answers or the strength to defend centuries of battle just because I still call myself a christian.

The most shocking extemism I have personally experienced is the extreme anti-christian hatred that I have had directed at me because of the activities of other christians which I am not responsible for.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

I taken to church every weekend by my parents until i was 11. The church services i as taken too was in yell/lerwick/whalsay (not all in the same weekend). When i was youger my dad liked drinking the jungle juice ALOT and it was his father that got him to turn to the church for help. Which made our family life easier.

He wanted myself to get involved with the church as he thought it would do me good later on in life as it did himself. But I had a good idea what i wanted from life & who i wanted to be when i was 11 and i wasn't wanting to follow in my dads footsteps and drink the jungle juice every night while seeing his family life crumble around him & friends desert him before turning to god when things got out of hand.

I told my dad this and too my amazment he didn't drag me back to church against my free will, but he respected my decision and let me stay with friends while he attended church.

so for that reason I decided not to go to church. I wanted to decide for myself what was best for me. And I am now 37 happily married, 3 bairns, nice family house (and i don't drink the jungle juice - well not as often as my dad did)

I have no ill feelings towards church or any relgion, but i don't like seeing it being used for political reasons

1. I wouldn't be welcome - I'm in a same sex relationship.

2. I don't believe in any gods, let alone the Christian God.

3. Religion and alcohol seem to be the cause of so much unhappiness in the world, so I do neither. The world is bad enough without me helping.

I dont go because I dont believe in any particular god. I heard a quote from the movie 'dogma' when i was younger and it stuck with me

'its better to have an idea than a belief as its easier to change'

im refusing to get married in a church as i dont attend and honestly i never intend on attending one.

I do find different parts of different religions interesting though.

I do not go to a church or other place of worship because I just cannot accept the vast number of people who have been and still are killed because they believe in the wrong religion or even the wrong version of the same religion. Guess you could say I have lost faith in religions. Not sure about God or Gods.

1. I wouldn't be welcome - I'm in a same sex relationship.

2. I don't believe in any gods, let alone the Christian God.

3. Religion and alcohol seem to be the cause of so much unhappiness in the world, so I do neither. The world is bad enough without me helping.

Same reasons for me.

Dont go simply because I dont have any religious beliefs , Dont mind others having them as its their life , but I just have difficulty in believing anything that has been scientifically proven to be wrong.......I mean , for example "The immaculate conception"...come on......The ultimate deception more like !!! :lol:

I would change the title of this thread to "Why does anyone go to church??", its a far more interesting question.

I don't go because I simply do not "get" the concept, the "spiritual", "faith" and "worship" bits in particular. Any religious service I sit through, I feel as if I have had a small bit part in some charade, and have no clue what my presence there was supposed to do for anyone, anything, or myself. As such it represents a negative rather than positive experience.