SIC Guest WiFi Security

Apple

or just stupid

As someone who once claimed to be accessing the net without using a modem, you are perhaps not the best qualified to judge stupidity in the field of wireless networks.

Subject closed.

Don't let him/her put you off.

Seems a reasonable question to me. :?

SICGUEST is an unsecured network which means that you should assume that anything you do is visible, quite easily to someone inclined to check.

The SIC shouldn't be deliberately storing anything though, but they might as part of normal caching of data.

if you have any questions you could always ask Jacqui Diamond at SIC, personally I use it as a public network and therefore don't do anything that has access to bank details.

I also agree it's a perfectly reasonable question, but had thought ebay was blocked.

It was a slightly off the cuff question as normaly I just use my phone to connect to SIC guest for emails...

Unfortunately, yesterday I forgot to buy an item from amazon at lunch time. I have a small net-book at work running MINT so logged in to SIC Guest. I was at the login to Amazon when i thought. Am i safe to use my details to do this on the open access. Can other users see my computer on the open access point. And if i do have a SSL conection to my Amazon account. is it like going through some ones modem or are the SIC serving up the security certificates.

Needless to say.. Stupid is what Stupid does.

Thanks to all..

It was a slightly off the cuff question as normaly I just use my phone to connect to SIC guest for emails...

Unfortunately, yesterday I forgot to buy an item from amazon at lunch time. I have a small net-book at work running MINT so logged in to SIC Guest. I was at the login to Amazon when i thought. Am i safe to use my details to do this on the open access. Can other users see my computer on the open access point. And if i do have a SSL conection to my Amazon account. is it like going through some ones modem or are the SIC serving up the security certificates.

Thanks to all..

Hi Apple

I thought it was a reasonable question, one that I have wondered about myself. It's a shame that some of those who responded didn't answer the question, rather than critisize it. Its a pity we can't all be experts like them :lol:

As a wrinkly, I still don't understand a lot about using the internet and security but thankfully there are a lot on here that will be very helpfull. You just have to ignore the idiots who like to sit in waiting and pounce on some posts. :roll:

As most of us are trying to say NOT STUPID!!! if it weren't for my phone/computer warnings I might get caught out from time to time. 7years ago I used to buy my plane tickets on my mobile, on the mobile network, I'd never dream of doing that now, can you imagine using & storing your credit card details on your phone now?

if you have any questions you could always ask Jacqui Diamond at SIC, personally I use it as a public network and therefore don't do anything that has access to bank details.

I also agree it's a perfectly reasonable question, but had thought ebay was blocked.

I tried it at the yell ferry one sunday but could not get it to work.

when was that?

A few years back:

... check directly from your modem.
i dont use a modem, have used a router for several years now and its a netgear
No modem = no DSL.

You either have another box which is the modem, or more likely your Netgear has one built in.

Router

A Device which acts as an interface betweeen two networks.

It forwards packets based on IP addresses between your ISP's router and either your LAN or your single PC.

A router learns more about the networks to which it is connected and can be more selective about the packets it passes on.

A router can also select the best route for packets to take in large interconnected networks.

Modem

Modem is a device that transmits and receives data over the plain old telephone system's (POTS) analogue lines.

It allows your PC to connect to your ISP using the Internet Protocol.

The modem acts as a "bridge" between your PC and your ISP.

The dynamic or static public IP address which your modem obtains from your ISP is passed on to your PC.

Modem forwards packets based on hardware level MAC addresses between your ISP's router (and the Internet) and your PC.

my router is a netgear DG834v.3